Fort William Travel Answers

change location

Getting to Fort William from Skye -- trying to make the train

by margems Online Now Apr 16, 2008 at 10:53 AM

First, thank you all so much for the responses to my earlier questions from earlier in April (the Driving from Edinburgh to Skye post) -- all of the information has been really helpful
I would love to ride on the Jacobite steam train but it doesn't run on Sundays until late in June. Here's my question: If we get an early start from Skye (Broadford or Portree) is it possible to get to the train station for the Jacobite train at 10:20AM if we give ourselves 2 1/2 hours? What if we allow 3 hours? I used the AA website to get directions and a map -- they say it's 1 hour and 50 minutes from Broadford to Fort William but I want to allow lots of extra time. I know we can't take the Armadale ferry to Mallaig because we wouldn't have enough time to get to Ft William. We would have to take A87. Is this a reasonable thing to do or should we just forget it? Is the train station for the Jacobite train in Ft William itself? Thanks to anyone who can help me with this. Our day for this trip would be Wednesday June 4th.

Quote & Answer
0 Answers
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines