Fort Myers Beach Travel Answers

change location

gulf of mexico

by michaeljackman Online Now Jan 31, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Is the water clear at FT Meyers beach,were coming in July.We usualy stay in FT Lauderdale.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • MisterMuse's Profile Photo

Re: gulf of mexico

by MisterMuse Online Now Jan 31, 2012 at 8:05 PM

I live in North Fort Myers for a summer and I went to the Ft Myers beach. I wasn't that impressed with the beach itself. The water wasn't exactly what I was expecting it had a slight murky color rather than a pristine blue or simple blue. I'm from Michigan originally and we've got the Great Lake beaches up this way and they put the Ft. Myers beach to shame. My Grams lives over in Naples and you will find some better beaches over that way which is about a 45 min drive depending on what beach you choose.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • tomorino's Profile Photo

by tomorino Online Now Jan 31, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Once you love the beaches in Ft.Lauderdale area it may be difficult to like the beach in Ft.Meyers. The beaches in the South East of Florida are prettier than the beaches in the South West of Florida,especially the color of the sea. Also there are much less mosquitos and bugs in Ft.Lauderdale due to the sea breeze.

• Godwit's Profile Photo

by Godwit Online Now Feb 1, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Fort Meyers beach may not be the best for clear water. If you have time, visit Gulf beaches further north in Sarasota which are some of the prettiest in the country.

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Feb 1, 2012 at 7:47 PM

If you want to stay on the western coast of Florida I would suggest looking at Siesta Key or Long Boat Key. They are located between Tampa and Sarasota. Definitely work taking a look at.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 6, 2012 at 7:08 AM

well lived off Ft LAuderdale and family in Cape Coral off FT Myers, know the areas very well. The water is better overall in the Atlantic. Howver for folks in that area they go to Siesta Key beach, and for my taste go up north to Fort DeSoto National Park, one of the best beaches in the USA. right up I75 highway.
    fortdesoto.com/googlemap2.ph...

siestakeychamber.com/aboutsk...

hope it helps your decision.
    Cheers

• MarkStephenson761's Profile Photo

by MarkStephenson761 Online Now Feb 12, 2012 at 5:24 AM

I would drive about 90 minutes North to the Sarasota area. These sugar-sand beaches from Siesta Key to Clearwater are really fantastic and get written up as some of the best in the country.

Plus, there's a lot more to do in Tampa Bay!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines