Fort Myers Beach Travel Answers

change location

Sanibel, Captiva, Marco or Ft. Myers beach

by brehm020 Online Now Mar 8, 2011 at 11:32 AM

My wife and I are going down to the gulf side of Florida this December with another couple. We want to be on a nice beach, with access to 20-somethings nightlife (i.e. fun bars...but not too crazy). I'm considering Sanibel, Captiva, Marco and Ft. Myers beach, and am wondering where would be the best fit for the four of us? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Foundryman1's Profile Photo

Re: Sanibel, Captiva, Marco or Ft. Myers beach

by Foundryman1 Online Now Mar 8, 2011 at 11:41 AM

I lived down there years ago .Captiva is the place to be but it's pricy.Stay and party at Tween Waters or at the Jensens.Ft Myers beach is fun but its ( Or rather was back in the day) a blue collar type of place and the locals partied there.The Lanai Kai is the place to be on a sunday afternoon....Marco is all high rise condos -if thats what you want.Sanibel is a bit mellower with a nice wildlife sanctuary on the bay side.Look up upper captiva if you want beach and quiet-gotta make your own fun there though..

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • JBOO46's Profile Photo

Re: Sanibel, Captiva, Marco or Ft. Myers beach

by JBOO46 Online Now Mar 8, 2011 at 12:00 PM

To my knowledge Sanibel has the more naturally pretty beaches but is not very big on nightlife, whereas Ft Myers is the opposite - very big on nightlife but not as big on beaches. Ft Myers is known spring break destination - but since you're going in December, it should be a bit more laid back that time of year. I would recommend, if you do Ft Myers, stay a little ways off the beaten path in Lovers Key. It's only about 5 miles from the thick of things, just a short taxi ride, and it's much more calm and peaceful back that way.

Also, if you do Ft Myers, don't forget to stop in to See Edison's winter home, it's pretty neat :)

• Re: Sanibel, Captiva, Marco or Ft. Myers beach

by brehm020 Online Now Mar 8, 2011 at 12:12 PM

When I say Ft. Myers Beach, I mean the town on Estero Island. Sorry for my lack of clarity. As for pricing, we'll be staying in a timeshare through Hilton, so that's not of concern.

• Re: Sanibel, Captiva, Marco or Ft. Myers beach

by TOPSHELFPUBCRAWLER Online Now Mar 8, 2011 at 3:54 PM

The posters above are right on. Ft. Meyers is fun but in a drought beer and wet Tee shirt sort of way. Captiva is a little more high end in a green bottled beer sort of way. Young and fun, but more up scale. Marco is for the blue hair yacht club crowd (I say that tongue in cheek). Decent dining but short on night life.

The sand is nicer in Captiva. Either way, it is often too cool to hit the beach in December.

Cheers!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Fort Myers Beach