Fort McMurray Travel Answers

change location

life in fortmcmurray.

by chitraanirudh Online Now Jul 5, 2007 at 9:40 PM

hi folks,
we will be moving to fort in november.Heard that it will be very cold that time.Since I am coming from singapore,we don't get winter clothes here.Are there good shops to buy winter clothings in fortmc?

How is the life there in general? I want to hear it from pple who live there.How is the traffic there? I do not know driving,so I have to learn driving after coming there.
How is westwood high? I plan to put my 16 yr old son in that school.
Pls share yr experiences abt living in fortmm.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • 1jabbar's Profile Photo

Re: life in fortmcmurray.

by 1jabbar Online Now Jul 5, 2007 at 11:39 PM

I don't know if this is helpful as I have not been to Ft McMurray, but have lived in northern regions of Canada, and Ft. McMurray, because of its booming economy is well known. Anyway you will find it cold in November, though I think it will not be too bad during day time hours (at least)There are about 70,000 which is a good size by Canadian standards. In terms of traffic there shouldn't be a problem, as drivers here, unlike Malaysia (I think Singapore drivers are more like Canadians) are reasonable safe and concious of the rules. We do drive on the right side (I forget what side Singapore traffic follows)Driving in the winter might take some getting use to because of sbow and ice. With 70,000 people I think there will be enough stores. If you want to talk more we can have coffe in Singapore as I will be there in mid July. Ron.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: life in fortmcmurray.

by chitraanirudh Online Now Jul 6, 2007 at 4:21 AM

thanks Ron for the reply.It was surely useful.singapore driving is opposite to that of canada.

• SamSalmon's Profile Photo

by SamSalmon Online Now Jul 7, 2007 at 10:37 PM

No matter how much you're being paid you won't last long.

In short Life Is Awful.

Prices are stratospheric, drug and alcohol addiction are rampant and life is miserable.

Just remember that life there is NOT like life in the rest of Canada.

• Karlie85's Profile Photo

by Karlie85 Online Now Jul 16, 2007 at 1:22 PM

I haven't been to Fort Mac either, but I only live a few hours south and hear about it all the time. I live in Edmonton, which, at times, can get to -20 to -30 degrees Celcius, which is cold for me, let alone someone from a warm climate. I think you will be in for a shock in the winter!

And if the drivers are anything like Edmonton or Calgary, just be careful. Of course there are some people who are very safe and aware, but there are a lot of people who like to drive very fast, drive through red lights and cut you off. Keep alert all the time!!

Good luck :)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines