Fort McMurray Travel Answers

change location

moving to fort mcmurray

by movingtomcmurray Online Now Aug 23, 2005 at 2:53 PM

I am moving to Fort McMurray soon and I am wondering if the cost of living is very expensive. I know that housing is expensive but what about the day to day living? eg. groceries, gas, household bills.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • RE: moving to fort mcmurray

by dcrose Online Now Aug 24, 2005 at 4:52 AM

I lived there until a couple of years ago and found that housing is VERY expensive but most other things were the same or just slightly higher than Edmonton. For example, gas was usually a couple cents per litre more but stores such as Save on Foods, Superstore, Zellers, Wal Mart, etc. were pretty much the same as in Edmonton. Keep in mind that you do not have any Provincial Sales Tax in Alberta plus living in Fort McMurray, you can claim a partial Northern Residents deduction on your tax return for a small tax savings. Good Luck!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: moving to fort mcmurray

by movingtomcmurray Online Now Aug 24, 2005 at 8:53 AM

thanks for the reply dcrose. it helps alot.

• RE: RE: moving to fort mcmurray

by dcrose Online Now Aug 24, 2005 at 10:33 AM

No problem. I lived there for 6 years and really enjoyed it. It is a bit isolated (4.5 hours to Edmonton) and has cold winters, but it is a booming and growing city. The growth brings challenges but most people are upbeat and have a positive attitude. Even in the 2 years since I left they have a number of new amenities and get more all the time. Let me know if you have any other questions. Best of luck.

by movingtomcmurray Online Now Aug 25, 2005 at 7:00 PM

well just found out today that we are moving for to fort mcmuarry for sure and if you have any other info that would be of help to me please let me know. thanks again dcrose

• Babcia's Profile Photo

RE: moving to fort mcmurray

by Babcia Online Now Aug 28, 2005 at 10:43 PM

by movingtomcmurray Online Now Sep 3, 2005 at 7:25 PM

thanks Babcia.
    they helped alot.