Fort Collins Travel Answers

change location

Driving SoCal to Fort Collins

by saradudik Online Now Jan 28, 2007 at 1:03 PM

i want to make a drive from SoCal to Fort Collins from feb.21-25. what will the roads be like? i have a honda del sol or honda civic to drive. thanks!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

RE: Driving SoCal to Fort Collins

by bocmaxima Online Now Jan 28, 2007 at 5:38 PM

I-70 from Grand Junction to Denver closes when it snows a lot. There are also wrecks and truck jacknifes that'll delay you quite a bit. I once had to wait about 6 hours near Vail because of one.
    I would suggest taking I-40 to I-25. You still have the chance of encountering snow in parts of Arizona, New Mexico and near the Colorado State Line at Raton Pass, but it's less likely than that ultra-mountainous stretch of I-70.
    hth

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: Driving SoCal to Fort Collins

by corockgirl Online Now Feb 10, 2007 at 10:40 PM

HI, I am origanally from southern CA and have lived in CO now for 8 years. I dont think that I-70 is a bad route of you prepare ahead of time. Check the weather before you go and go to Colorado dept of transprotation website, get the number for road conditions and put it in your cell phone. The best rule of thumb I have found works best for me is to try to get over the mountain passes before the sun goes down. If you do this, unless a really bad storm is over the area, you should have smooth, but slower sailing. It is about 2 hours from grand Junction to the bottom/beginning of the passes. Always carry extra food and water, a flashlight, and a blanket just in case you have a wreck or slide off the road and need to wait for someone to come and get you. And remember, if you are unsure of conditions and unsure how to drive, just find a place to pull over and wait out the waether. Slow down and dont drive super fast and in a hurry. YOU will be fine. From San Diego to Ft. COllins you are looking at Approx 21 hours. Take breaks, drive safe and have fun in CO. Take care. ~Rain

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines