Fontainebleau Travel Answers

change location

Question about the Trinity Chapel

by hippie3mom0 Online Now May 29, 2005 at 9:33 AM

Hi all...I am a historical romance author trying to finish editing my new novel before I send it the editor, and I NEED HELP!! Does anyone know if the Trinity Chapel located within the Chateau de Fontainebleau has a confessional booth? I'm not catholic, but assumed it did...so I put it in my book. Now, I need to make sure it's actually there! Anyone with ideas or suggestions...or better still, an answer...please e-mail me: romance@meaganhatfield.com.
THANKS, MEAGAN :)

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

RE: Question about the Trinity Chapel

by mccalpin Online Now May 29, 2005 at 2:50 PM

You might look at davidbarber.org/france/fonta... where the author allegedly took photos of the interior of the Chapel - although he seems to have been confused on which country he was in (humorously, I hope). Since I haven't been there, I can't corraborate the photos, but I find them believable that the Chapel is a relatively open space (i.e., little furniture).

However, you're writing a historical novel, yes? So I assume the story is some time in the past. Since confessionals are often large wooden boxes, it's not unbelievable that one could have been moved into the Chapel, then moved out later (they can be disassembled). The problem I have is that confessionals were normally for parish churches, in which a little privacy is needed. In a private chapel, there would be much less need for a confessional, unless one was imported for artistic reasons (since some are highly carved). The family - assuming they went to confession anyway - would probably have used a small side room instead.

Having said that, given the evident art in these photos, it is hardly a huge stretch that there was a portable (even if quite large) confessional in the Chapel at some point...just say that the carving of the wooden confessional reminded the Chateau's owner of the carvings on the wall, so on a whim he/she imported it...

Works for me...

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mariev's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Question about the Trinity Chapel

by mariev Online Now May 30, 2005 at 1:16 PM

I don't remember seeing a confessional booth in this chapel but the idea of a mobile one is interesting - you can visit the chapel virtually at
    musee-chateau-fontainebleau....

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines