Folkestone Travel Answers

change location

Gluten Allergy

by VTANDJL Online Now Aug 29, 2008 at 3:08 AM

I have coeliacs disease (gluten and wheat allergy).

My husbands family are going to Kalalas in Folkestone for his nephews birthday tomorrow and have asked me to come.

They have asked the resteraunt if they cater for somebody in my position but they dont even seem to know what gluten is.

I wonder if you have any further information on this for me?

Many thanks, Vanessa Lewis

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Gluten Allergy

by leics Online Now Aug 29, 2008 at 9:14 AM

The person to whom your relatives spoke at the restuarant may not have known about gluten/coeliac but it may be worthwhile ringing again and asking to speak to the manager.

It is rather late notice for a restaurant to cater for a specific diet, but they may be able to provide an additional dish/dishes if you let them know tonight. The restaurant provides a 'Chinese buffet', but may well be willing to put together such a dish/dishes if asked in advance.

You will be well aware of what it is and is not possible for you to eat, so will be able to advise them. From that point of view it would be better if you made the phone call. Contact details here: http://www.kalala.co.uk/

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • clivedinburgh's Profile Photo

Re: Gluten Allergy

by clivedinburgh Online Now Aug 30, 2008 at 1:28 AM

I've been on a gluten-free diet for over 10 years now and come across this on a regular basis. The default answer in most restaurants is that they don't understand what you are on about but I generally find something on a menu that suits once I explain that it's a medical diet and not just some sort of wheat intolerance fad that I'm going through.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines