Folkestone Travel Answers

change location

Coeliac Friendly Restaurants & Hotels

by CeliacTraveler Online Now Feb 27, 2003 at 2:12 PM

We are traveling to the Folkestone, England area in 2 months. My daughter has Coelic Disease. Does anyone know of a Coeliac Friendly restaurant? Cafe? Hotel? Bed & Breakfast? Store?

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Geoff_Wright's Profile Photo

Re: Coeliac Friendly Restaurants & Hotels

by Geoff_Wright Online Now Feb 27, 2003 at 2:39 PM

Hi Barbara, If no one replies here, EMail member 'whitecliff62' (Cliff), who lives in Folkestone. He may be able to help you. Regards

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ATLC's Profile Photo

Re: Coeliac Friendly Restaurants & Hotels

by ATLC Online Now Feb 27, 2003 at 2:55 PM

Hi, could you explain briefly what coelic disease is and what the dietary conditions are?

• Re: Re: Coeliac Friendly Restaurants & Hotels

by CeliacTraveler Online Now Feb 27, 2003 at 3:05 PM

Coeliac Disease is an autoimmune illness where the individual is unable to ingest any amount of gluten. Gluten is the protein found in wheat, barley, oats, & rye. The difficulty arises in secondary ingredients of products. The offending grains might be a component of a secondary ingredient. Therefore, it wouldn't be lsited on the ingredient label but would still be found in the product. In the US contact must be made with the company to determine a products gluten free status. I am very familar with American Gluten free brand names. However, I have no clue about brand names found in England. : ) We will be packing lots of her food. However, it would be absolutely delightful to go to a restaurant without bringing a bag of food to accomodate my daughter.

• ATLC's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Coeliac Friendly Restaurants & Hotels

by ATLC Online Now Feb 27, 2003 at 3:09 PM

ah! Gluten. Sorry, I am of no help but I was just interested. One thing though: when I was in Finland last year, I noticed that many menu's in all sorts of restaurants (even motorway restaurants) mentioned gluten or lactose free (actually there were 3 but I forgot the 3rd).

• Re: Coeliac Friendly Restaurants & Hotels

by CeliacTraveler Online Now Feb 27, 2003 at 4:36 PM

Argh!!! Just found out we will spending our vacation in Ashford & Folkestone. My husbands work just moved from Folkestone to Ashford. So if anyone knows of any Coeliac friendly places (hotels, restaurants, cafes, etc) in Ashford as well as Folkestone, I would forever be grateful. I hear they are about a 20 minute drive apart!?

• Re: Coeliac Friendly Restaurants & Hotels

by Munkymaniac21 Online Now Jul 20, 2003 at 9:54 AM

Hi I live in Folkestone and I had never heard of this disease but i just looked it up and Chinese and Malayan foods are good. Happy moving and Good Luck !

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines