Florida Keys

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Places to stay

by Gareth65 Online Now Mar 24, 2014 at 8:38 AM

Hello...We are taking our holiday in May, and after spending the first two nights in Miami's South Beach area, we're heading to the Keys. We want to see as much as possible in 2-3 days before travelling on. Could you please recommend a good area to stay and also any recommendations for hotels / motels to stay.

Thanks in advance for your help.

more
    • Places to stay

by Gareth65 Online Now Mar 24, 2014 at 8:38 AM

Hello...We are taking our holiday in May, and after spending the first two nights in Miami's South Beach area, we're heading to the Keys. We want to see as much as possible in 2-3 days before travelling on. Could you please recommend a good area to stay and also any recommendations for hotels / motels to stay.

Thanks in advance for your help.

3 Answers Mar 24, 2014 at 11:56 AM
    • Best Key to stay for 3, 30 year old women.

by bossapplesauce Online Now Mar 11, 2014 at 3:19 PM

My sister, cousin and I are headed to the keys the first weekend of May. We will be staying 3 days and 3-4 nights. We are doing our open water scuba dives for certification as well as trying to fit in one additional dive. I am looking for a great place (key) to stay that isn't a tourist mecca, and isn't filled with college kids, but is still fun. We'll be splitting our time diving, hanging at the beach and exploring. A place that has a small bit of nightlife would be awesome but again, not looking for the "drag" of college bars and tourists that key west is known for.

Any suggestions on which key to call home base, unique accommodations, must see detours would be greatly appreciated.

• is the gulf coast of the keys buggy?

by trishianna423 Online Now Jan 14, 2014 at 11:55 AM

we want to rent a house in marathon, but it's the first time we're considering the gulf coast, and i'm a little nervous about the bugs. we're renting the last week of august.
      thanks!

8 Answers Feb 3, 2014 at 12:20 PM
    • Need a vacation home!!!

by Shellbell81 Online Now Jan 11, 2014 at 8:30 AM

My family and i will be vacationing somewhere in the keys March 22-29, 2014. We have been looking online for rental homes and we are very overwhelmed! Does any have any suggestions... we are looking for a home that will accomodate 10 adults and 3 children. We prefer waterfront of some type and a pool for kiddies. Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

5 Answers Jan 11, 2014 at 5:32 PM
    • Mid February trip, low key activities

by Beachcomber543 Online Now Jan 10, 2014 at 8:08 AM

My husband and I are in our mid 50's, will be visiting the Keys in Feb. We prefer less crowded, more relaxed areas. I enjoy exploring the beach, have never snorkeled but want to try it. I would also like to see sea turtles. We are not interested in nightlife - bars, clubs. Would like to kayak. Hoping for some recommendations!

14 Answers Jan 16, 2014 at 11:52 AM
    • Road tripping next week from the Chicago, IL Area to Key West, FL for Fantasy Fest.

by Abmer22 Online Now Oct 17, 2013 at 11:04 AM

We have drove down two other times but I am looking for some off the beaten path stops to make on our way. Can you please tell me where you suggest we stop? Also, we have never done a tour or boating day trip in the keys and I would love to plan one as a surprise for my boyfriend.

3 Answers Oct 18, 2013 at 7:54 AM
    • mickey.p's Profile Photo

Where to stay - any hidden gems?

by mickey.p Online Now Oct 14, 2013 at 1:26 PM

We are arriving into Fort Lauderdale at 9.30pm on 31st December and driving to the Keys, looking for somewhere to stay for 2 nights, Islamorada we are told is 2 hours drive from FLL and we found the Hampton Inn & Suites which seems nice but somethings not clicking with it - not sure what though.

Are there any hidden gems in the keys that anyone can recommend? We stayed at the Outrigger in Fort Myers which is the type we like, nothing glitzy but beach front, Wifi and clean for a reasonable price!

I know its New Year and busy so asking a lot but this site has delivered a few gems to me before!

We are looking to drive down to Key West at some point but not stay there as we know that they have a big party on NYE!

11 Answers Oct 15, 2013 at 5:40 PM
    • La siesta resort

by Esuzanneperry Online Now Jun 11, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Has anyone stayed at this resort recently. I'm trying to figure out if the rooms that have the "resort view" will be ok.....
      Thank you...

2 Answers Jun 11, 2013 at 10:23 AM
    • bo12au's Profile Photo

I'm seeking local knowledge for my transition. Help?

by bo12au Online Now Jan 18, 2013 at 5:36 AM

I plan on moving to the keys the beginning of Feb. Starting fresh. I am a USMC Veteran seeking peace and serenity from the former madness. I am in my twenties with no kids, or mortgage holding me back from my plan, just a lack of local knowledge of the islands. And i have a very tight budget. My original plan was to move to key west, live in a tent, find work, move up the ladder etc. After further research, it seems like key west is not the wisest place to begin my new life. I am now looking into maybe starting in the upper keys. I want to work at a Marina or as a mate on a fishing charter boat. With my final goal being to purchase my own sailboat. I grew up on a fresh water lake working at a Marina, not the same as salt I understand, but I do have some knowledge of operating boats and some sailing experience. I will work anywhere really to begin with. I am using craigslist to find job openings and a possible place to rent. I need some local advice putting this plan into action. All knowledge would be greatful. Thank you

15 Answers Jan 18, 2013 at 1:23 PM
    • Only 2 days

by dianadakini Online Now Aug 11, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Hello,

If one has only 2 days to be in the
      Florida Keys, where should one go?

Thanks
      DD

6 Answers Apr 7, 2013 at 9:16 AM
    • where to snorkel?

by komita55 Online Now Jul 23, 2012 at 7:59 PM

We've snorkeled a lot but never in the keys. It doesn't sound like there's much to snorkel and we definitely need to take a boat. we only are going once so want to make it count! Where is the best snorkeling? off of Key West? Marathon? Pennekamp? somewhere else? Thanks for any advice and information.

4 Answers Oct 28, 2012 at 5:17 AM
    • prof.oak's Profile Photo

Best Snorkeling Reefs?

by prof.oak Online Now Jul 19, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Heading down to the Keys in a couple of days and trying to figure out where the best reefs are for snorkeling. We're staying in Tavernier. Any good places? Thanks

2 Answers Jul 29, 2012 at 10:51 AM
    • are we crazy?

by thehoop Online Now Mar 5, 2012 at 12:22 PM

We're planning a trip from Miami through the Keys at the beginning of September. Is this really a bad time to do this due to hurricane season? Thanks.

7 Answers May 13, 2012 at 12:52 PM
    • boundarybay's Profile Photo

Camping in the Keys?

by boundarybay Online Now Jan 28, 2012 at 10:36 AM

I am helping my daughter and her best friend plan a trip to the keys. They are 24 yrs old. They fly into Miami. Would a small camper be a good idea? Are there enough campgrounds? The price would be around75 a day and then they would have tbe flexibility to see more. They will be on holiday for 10 days. Feb. 15. - 25

Thank you for your help!
      cheers!

3 Answers Jan 28, 2012 at 6:54 PM
    • Staying on a Boat

by longbeachseal Online Now Nov 21, 2011 at 10:41 AM

When we were in Key West about 5 years ago, we were making small talk with a bartender one day and he mentioned that there are people who own live-aboard class boats that are harbored in the various Keys and rent them out as alternatives to condos for travelers. He did not have specifics, but we are about to plan a trip down there again in the spring and would very much like to explore that as an option. I have Googled around a LOT and have not really found much so I'm not sure if this is only something done in very small numbers or if I'm just looking in the wrong places. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

3 Answers Nov 23, 2011 at 11:26 AM
    • house boating in the keys

by tslore Online Now Sep 5, 2011 at 2:11 PM

HAS ANYONE HAVE SOME GOOD INFO ON THIS SUBJECT? WE ARE LOOKING INTO A TRIP NEXT YEAR. LOVE THE BEACH AND SOME ADVENTURE. WANT TO SHELL HUNT, FISH AND MAYBE SOME TREASURE HUNTING WITH A METAL DETECTOR. DONT EVEN KNOW WHERE TO START LOOKING FOR A GOOD RENTAL COMPANY OR A GOOD PLACE TO GO. HELP IF YOU CAN. ANYONE LOOKING FOR INFO ON THE BLACKHILLS OF SOUTH DAKOTA? I CAN HELP WITH THAT.

1 Answer Sep 5, 2011 at 7:12 PM
    • grant1313's Profile Photo

Diving in the Keys

by grant1313 Online Now Apr 9, 2011 at 10:10 PM

I will be in Miami in mid May and am planning to spend Thursday to Sunday in the Florida Keys doing some diving. I will hire a car and drive down and stop at one or two spots depending on what is there.
      I am keen to know where would be the best places in the Keys to go and which dive operators are good, plus mid range accommodation for when I am down there.
      Currently I am thinking that Key Largo is the place I should go but am keen for suggestions

4 Answers Oct 4, 2011 at 5:11 AM
    • lovinoz's Profile Photo

Which Key to visit?

by lovinoz Online Now Feb 19, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Hi,

Doing some forward planning for a two week visit to the Keys in August / September 2012 and wondering if anyone can suggest which Key we should visit. If there are two really spectacular keys, we'd consider stay a week each on two keys.

Purpose of the trip is to catch up with family and friends in a beautiful location. Rob and I live in Australia and the rest of the family will be coming down from Virginia and central Florida. Total of 10-18 adults and no children. Thinking about renting a couple houses for the visit. Definitely will want a pool and beach access. Nearby good snorkelling spots are a must. I am all about the pristine sand and crystal clear water.

Hopeful that the keys have that since I've only been to central Florida beach (Cocoa Beach) with the brown unappealing water.

Anyways ... suggestions would be much appreciated! Especially if you have stayed on more than 1 key and can share your favorite.

1 Answer Feb 20, 2011 at 1:28 AM
    • Executive Bay Club in Islamorada

by dqinva Online Now Feb 2, 2011 at 5:37 AM

I'm thinking of renting a condo for a week at the Executive Bay Club in Islamorada. The description looks like it is pretty nice. I like the fact that there is a private beach. We will have a three year old and an infant with us and having a beach right on the premises where the kids will be able to play in the water is convenient. Has anyone been there? Any information would be helpful - we haven't committed to any place yet.

1 Answer Feb 2, 2011 at 6:09 AM
    • Best Travel Book

by katie.franecki Online Now Dec 29, 2010 at 11:37 AM

I'm planning a keys trip in April. What's the best travel book for the area? I see good reviews for Hidden Florida Keys & also for June Keith's. Any preference?

• Keys

by clntrip Online Now Nov 20, 2010 at 4:45 AM

Experienced, well travelled looking to spend 3-4 months on the Florida keys 2011 Nov. But so many accommodation sites my mind is swimming! Any hints to find somewhere cheap??? Usually in Thailand and maybe we are being unrealistic! Hints and tips from locals much appreciated.

10 Answers Feb 19, 2011 at 9:22 PM
    • Primitive camping

by detour2010 Online Now Jun 27, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Hey guys, a buddy & I are planning a weeklong paddling trip to the Middle Keys area & are looking for some primitive campsites. Any advice? Are they abundant enough for this to be a feasible idea or should we plan on staying in campgrounds or motels? Thanks for the help!

2 Answers Jun 29, 2010 at 10:38 AM
    • PoppyLV's Profile Photo

where should i stay for a 4 day road trip miami to key west?

by PoppyLV Online Now Feb 1, 2010 at 7:10 PM

where should i stay if i am plannng for a 4 day road trip from miami to key west? should i make a stop and stay overnight at other cities than key west along the way before i reach key west? How many nights should i be spending at key west? which area to stay if i want to be near stuffs (restuarant, the beach) but not in a super tourist trap? is there any good waterfront properties?

4 Answers Feb 2, 2010 at 1:32 PM
    • BuonViaggio's Profile Photo

visit to grassy key

by BuonViaggio Online Now Sep 18, 2009 at 2:46 PM

My daughter just moved to Grassy Key to work at the Dolphin Research Center. We'll be visiting her in late October and her place is too small for overnight guests. I could use some first hand knowledge of local hotels. Everything on tripadvisor looks horrible in Grassy Key. Should I expand my search? Please help!

1 Answer Sep 18, 2009 at 6:06 PM
    • Gillybob's Profile Photo

Key West to Key Largo - no driving

by Gillybob Online Now Jul 4, 2009 at 7:49 AM

Anyone have any suggestions for getting from Key West to Key Largo? I know Miami Beach 411 can offer me a link on their tour bus but it only runs once a day at 4:30pm and I would prefer to depart earlier - that would cost US$60 - wondering if there's other options, possibly cheaper?

8 Answers Jul 13, 2009 at 3:49 AM
    • wonderswhy's Profile Photo

Is there a quiet place to stay with beach-access swimming & snorkeling?

by wonderswhy Online Now May 21, 2009 at 7:27 AM

We (2 adults, 2 teens) are looking for a place to spend Christmas through New Years. We like quiet, out-of-the-way places. We like to snorkel, and we are all strong swimmers. We'd like to find a place to rent for 6-7 nights that has nearby beaches, state parks, and beach-access snorkeling. From what I've read about it, Marathon sounds nice. Could someone recommend a motel or cottage/cabin rental on Marathon, or on another key like that?
      Thanks!

3 Answers Nov 12, 2009 at 5:53 AM
    • Help.....what Key/Keys should we stay in??

by EmUp Online Now Apr 20, 2009 at 8:48 AM

So confused and need serious advice. We are a family of 4 (6 year old and 3 year old) and thought we would like to fly into Miami and drive through the Keys. Total relaxation trip and to see some things along the way, turtles, alligators, deer, dolphins etc. What Keys should we stop in? We were thinking of a week and staying 2 or 3 nights in the same place.
      Thank you for any/all advice, they all look beautiful.

1 Answer Jul 12, 2009 at 4:57 PM
    • Traffic around thanksgivin

by patriciaharney Online Now Apr 17, 2009 at 6:51 PM

We are a family of four (in Australia) planning to travel from Miami down to Key West around thanksgiving ( between Wednesday Nov 25 and Sunday Nov 29) We only plan to spend two days in Key West and are wondering are there any days in our time frame that are better than others, and any days that should be avoided?
      We would really appreciate advice so as to avoid being in heavy holiday traffic. Any other suggestions for two adults and two teenagers would be appreciated
      Many thanks
      Patricia

1 Answer Apr 17, 2009 at 8:16 PM
    • should we be afraid of the bugs?

by traptinparadise Online Now Apr 13, 2009 at 3:52 PM

We are looking to bring our boat down to the upper keys in mid to late June. We are thinking of booking a slip in Pennecamp State Park since we intend to also be sleeping on the boat (it's a small cabin cruiser). I've been starting to wonder about bugs since we camped out at Bahia Honda a couple years ago in July or August and it was the most misereable night I can remember. We are adventurous but, does anyone have any tips or knowledge about how bad the bugs are at that time or in that park in general? Can we get away with a little bug spray or are we looking at ducking for cover at sundown?

1 Answer Apr 17, 2009 at 8:23 PM
    • rent a boat for a day

by schnurlady Online Now Mar 31, 2009 at 5:34 PM

I would appreciation on renting a boat for the day to explore some island for a relaxing picnic. Any suggestion/ We are staying in Key West and Key Largo. Also, any suggestion on finding an island which is not overrun by tourist

2 Answers Apr 6, 2009 at 9:01 AM