Florida Keys Travel Answers

change location

Advice needed - Gulf or Atlantic side??

by TracyQ Online Now Mar 27, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Narrowed my choice for a summer rental down to a gulf/bayfront home in Key Largo, and an Atlantic/oceanfront home in Islamorada (vrbo.com/161674). I hear so much about the keys having terrible beaches(many on this forum) what is wrong with them? Is it just the lack of availability? Water looks amazing in the photos, just wondering if I am missing something?? Are there any waves at all? Looks so serene!

Sorry for so many questions, huge investment for a week vacation and want it to be as good as possible. Thanks!!

Tracy

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

Re: Advice needed - Gulf or Atlantic side??

by grandmaR Online Now Mar 27, 2009 at 9:32 PM

It isn't that the beaches are terrible - they are just narrow and there aren't a lot of them. IMHO the farther south you go the better so Islamorada would be better. The best beach IMHO is Sombrero in Marathon or Bahia Honda which is a Florida State Park. There are other state parks up and down the coast. Plus of course John Pennekamp.

On the Atlantic side the shore is protected by a reef (which is why there aren't many beaches and the ones there are are often man made). On the Bay side the water tends to be shallower and will be warmer in the summer than the ocean side. In the summer you will have waves if there are hurricanes out in the Atlantic.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • acprincess's Profile Photo

by acprincess Online Now Mar 27, 2009 at 10:41 PM

What's wrong with them is that there isn't much sand. If you want a nice sandy beach, the keys aren't your best bet. I love the keys - the water is warm and clear and the scenery is beautiful and boating is great. But if you want a wide sandy beach, mainland Florida might be more your cup of tea.

• Re: Advice needed - Gulf or Atlantic side??

by traptinparadise Online Now Apr 13, 2009 at 4:02 PM

What you have to ask yourself is sunrises or sunsets? The Atlantic side is usually a bit breezier in the summer too, with the wind off the water. The bayside is usually a bit more serene. I've seen great sandy spots on both sides.

• DBSGone's Profile Photo

by DBSGone Online Now Apr 17, 2009 at 8:31 PM

Had a house in Key Largo and loved it since we were from Orlando and made the trip shorter, but we were always in Islamorada when we were down. It had a more island feel. Also if you wanted to take day trip to Key West or some pretty beaches you are that much closer. Most resorts have decent beaches with them. It's not really the beaches that attract people to the Keys its the water.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines