Florida Travel Answers

change location

Animals to see around Orlando

by abdrahman11 Online Now Jan 1, 2010 at 7:23 AM

Besides Disney Animal kingdom and seaworld, are there any good places in Orlando to see animals or birds?

Thanks.

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • shohman's Profile Photo

Re: Animals to see around Orlando

by shohman Online Now Jan 1, 2010 at 7:36 AM

There is Gatorland, www.gatorland.com kind of hokey, but it's interesting as well. For birds you can just head to Lake Eola downtown and walk around for free. There are all kinds of birds there and it's a beautiful place to go, it's only 9/10 mile around so it's an easy walk.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

by grandmaR Online Now Jan 1, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Yes lots of places where the animals and birds are just there naturally - depending on the time of year that you are there.

East of Orlando there is the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge which has lots of wintering birds (in the winter) including roseate spoonbills. East of that is Canaveral National Seashore and up by the Haulover Bridge you can see manatees. You can also see lots of manatees just hanging out in the Titusville Marina.

Titusville is just west of Merritt Island in Brevard County, and the Enchanted Forest is Brevard County's Flagship Nature Sanctuary. They have a nature walk every Saturday at 10:00am - A trained guide will lead you through the ecosystems and interpret the geology, native plants, the uniqueness of this sanctuary, with such animals as the Gopher Tortoise and Indigo Snake. A little bit south of Titusville is the Melbourne zoo.

South of Orlando about an hour is Lake Kissimmee State Park. This is the third largest lake in Florida, - home to wading birds, fish and plant life, including mosses, orchids and sawgrass. Also you can visit Bok Tower at Lake Wales. Not only are there birds in the ponds that reflect the tower, but there is a trail where you can walk down to the edge of the water and watch the animals and birds there from behind a window.

• smirnofforiginal's Profile Photo

by smirnofforiginal Online Now Jan 1, 2010 at 9:27 AM

I agree with both. You can check my Merrit Island - I have been there twice. The first time was amazing and I could barely move for wildlife. The second time I really did not seev ery much at all (although some beautiful pink spoonbills)
    "Merritt" - Merritt Island by smirnofforiginal

and my Gatorland - I went there as a kid and I have been back with my own children - both times were easy and enjoyable :-)
    Kissimmee Things to Do Tips by smirnofforiginal

and I would recommend Boggy Creek to take an airboat - it isn't quite the everglades but you will see lots and the guieds know where to look
    Orlando Things to Do Tips by smirnofforiginal

I hope this helps you & happy holidays

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

by grandmaR Online Now Jan 1, 2010 at 12:07 PM

The Everglades and Biscayne parks are NOT around Orlando.

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo

by Faiza-Ifrah Online Now Jan 1, 2010 at 12:57 PM

we had enjoyed wildlife at lake tohopekaliga and at lake eola at Orlando's upscale Winter Park community. we had rented an airboat at the former and a pntoon boat at the latter lake.

• jcjlkrebs's Profile Photo

by jcjlkrebs Online Now Jan 1, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Bush gardens in Tampa is also a good place, it is about an hour away..

• meteorologist1's Profile Photo

by meteorologist1 Online Now Jan 1, 2010 at 6:59 PM

There's also the Green Meadows Petting Farm in Kissimmee, FL.

http://www.greenmeadowsfarm.com/

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Florida Travel Answer Locations