Florida Travel Answers

change location

cheap(er) place to stay close to epcot and magic kindgom

by 21traveller Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 7:05 PM

my sister and i are planning to be at florida to visit disney world and epcott 26 Dec 2013 to 31 Dec (or 1 Jan 2014). our agent has pointed us to Disneys Animal Kingdom. From my research this place sounds quite expensive, and far away from the parks we are really interested in. We will not have a car, we will be using the complimentary shuttle buses.
I have found Disney Pop Century Resort. From the trip adviser comments it appears you can walk to epcot (and eat at Disneys Art of Animation across the way. it also seems a bit cheaper.
Also is it worth it to pay extra for the hopper ticket? or just pay for a base ticket.

Quote & Answer
27 Answers
  • Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

Re: cheap(er) place to stay close to epcot and magic kindgom

by Donna_in_India Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Hi - the least expensive Disney hotels are the All Star Music Resort, All Star Sports Resort, All Star Movies Resort, Pop Century Resort, and the Art of Animation. Any one of them will have transportation options - to the parks, to other resorts/hotels, to Downtown Disney, etc. You may not find the eating options in those places to be too good so having free transportation is a plus. The Animal Kingdom lodge is very expensive. I wouldn't pay for more than what you need in a room at Disney!

Whether or not the park hopper is worth it depends on which parks you want to visit and how many days you have to do it. IMO, it's not worth it. I think it's exhausting enough trying to get through one park in a day, never mind visiting multiple parks. Be advised that time of year is the most crowded at Disney. If you stay at a Disney hotel you will have an early entrance into the parks (an extra hour).

A great place for Disney information is disboards.com. As crowded as the parks are during that week, the Christmas decorations are fantastic. Check out all of the special things going on - such as the candlelight processional - that you might like to do.

Have a great time!

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Homanded's Profile Photo

by Homanded Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Hi, we just returned from doing all the Disney parks 2 weeks ago.
    As above poster mentions, the All Star Disney resorts is indeed the least expensive.
    We paid $126.00/night and stayed 4 nights.

You simply walk out of your hotel (we stayed in Fantasia which we really enjoyed - quiet, peaceful and backs into a wooded area), through the lobby and catch the complimentary shuttle buses onward to anywhere in the Disney parks and properties including Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Animal Kingdom & MGM - now Hollywood Studios.
    You can also catch the shuttle to Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Downtown Disney, Disney Boardwalk and, as we did on our final day, go hotel/resort hopping.
    We took the shuttle to Animal Kingdom hotel - gorgeous but indeed pricey - $365.00/night upward.
    You do not have to be a guest of the hotel in order to walk through it or even go out back and see the animals - well worth it.

As above poster mentions, I would not spend any more money than absolutely needed in a Disney park.
    Besides being pricey and the fact that you'll hardly spend any time in the room, they still manage to charge you for ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING an inflated price such as cup of coffee, cup of soda or bottle of water - $3.00!

2 members found this helpful

• Re: cheap(er) place to stay close to epcot and magic kindgom

by 21traveller Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 9:33 PM

thanks i did wonder if going to 2 parks in one day would be too much. one thing, is it easier to get to one park by going thru another (and so using your hopper ticket to do that) or do you just go round the parks to get to each different park. also are the least expensive hotels still a safe option for 2 women (30 & 50 yrs)

Be the first to rate this answer!

by 21traveller Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 9:51 PM

hi i typed in fantasia to look it up and could not find it. can you help me find it please?

by Donna_in_India Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 4:12 AM

Fantasia is one of the areas (movies) in All Star Movies Resort. The less expensive Disney resorts are very popular and have a lot of rooms so they are divided into sections based on the theme of the resort. Here is the layout of the All Star Movies Resort - disneyworld.disney.go.com/re....

This is the official Disney World site - https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/ - where you'll find all the layouts, information about dining, everything you need to plan your trip.

As far as the park hopper - you do not go through any park to get to another. You will be fine with the individual day passes.

Since you will be there during peak season it might be a good idea to take a look at the maps of the park and plan your day. A good option for the popular rides is the fast pass (disneyworld.disney.go.com/gu....

You will find that the least expensive hotels are full of families....yes, they are very safe options!

Enjoy the magic!

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 4:23 AM

The Park Hopper allows you to visit more than one park per day on the same pass: otherwise you need to purchase the option that only allows one entrance at each one of the parks per day.

The reason for a hopper would be for long stays where you might want to go back to a favorite park more than once, or do short versus long visits to multiple parks

I wouldn't ordinarily recommend it either but as you have 6 days, you might want that flexibility. I guess, as with any other pass, you need to do the math based on what you think you'll be doing?

You'll be taking free shuttles between the parks, to/from your hotel. The map (link included below for the hotel) shows you the distances between: just use the sliding scale to zoom in and out.

"Fantasia" are two buildings of accommodations at the All Star Movies Resort. You would need to request one of those when booking the resort (if they allow you to specify a building - did they let you do that, Homer?). See where they are on the map here:

disneyworld.disney.go.com/re...

There are no "unsafe" hotels or areas anywhere within the Disney properties. As it's a mecca for families, they make quite sure of that!

2 members found this helpful

by goodfish Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 4:24 AM

Sorry Donna - was typing as you were posting!

by Homanded Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 5:00 AM

We used the hopper pass and it worked out perfect for us.
    The hopper pass is available if you buy a multi day pass.
    For instance: Epcot, Disney, Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom are $89.00 per park. As a Florida resident, we get a pass allowing us to get into all the parks - good for 6 months and available for $119.00.
    By adding a "hopper pass" of $28.00, you are allowed to travel between parks - which is what we did.

To travel between parks you simply go out the main gate of the parks and walk straight across to the area with the buses - about 22 buses in all leading to various other onward destinations - hotels - Epcot - Magic Kingdom, Disney's Boardwalk, etc.
    You have to take a bus or, between Epcot and Magic Kingdom, a ferry but you do not walk through parks to access another one. They are not joined but actually, kind of far form one another.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 10:30 AM

cheaper in my days was Kissimmee, and from family living in Orlando, still is.

visitkissimmee.com/leisure/p...

generally speaking of course, you can always find a bargain in one of the all in one travel sites like expedia, hotwire, travelocity etc.

hope it helps

by Homanded Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 12:11 PM

You can indeed find cheaper in Kissimmee but, (we figured this out on this last visit), by the time that you factor in the price of parking - $20.00/vehicle/per park into the mix - especially if you're going to be visiting more than one park in a day - it's not worth: A) the parking lines and B) the extra cost ... plus having a car!

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 12:15 PM

yes homer the parking ,car price is included in the cheaper area as I always went there by car lol!!! deals can be had at any time but generally speaking in kiss is best. And I have been there at the parks even for concerts way back to KC and the sunshine band days , France Jolie, and Sylvester lol!!!

by Homanded Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I was talking about parking prices at the park - not the hotel you stay in.
    and...hahahaha..I remember them good old day too however, things have changed quite a bit.
    I had not been to any of the parks since '92 - did them now, won't have a need to visit them again until the year '15 or so (I'm talking 2115 here)!!!

Sea World is the only park I enjoyed our entire stay and that's because it wasn't Disney!

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 12:28 PM

of course, I was there as a tour guide for my entire family and friends coming down from New Jersey. Then went in myself for concerts and party at the old Pleasure Island. Same for the one here in nearby Paris, once is enough/. But its the same principle on costs.

by goodfish Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 1:19 PM

The thing is, a fair amount of travelers to the U.S. just do not wish to drive. Some have never driven: some are uncomfortable driving in strange places; some are too young to rent a car economically; others are freaked about driving on the opposite side of the road.

So if the OP doesn't wish to drive, then staying on the property is the easiest way for them to "do" Disney. :O)

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 2:32 PM

hehehe is the same when we come to Europe, then once you do ,driving is easy ::)

by 21traveller Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 6:35 PM

hi donna thanks for the links. at last i am getting my head around this place. its so much biggar that i thought. the map was fantasic its one i had not yet seen and i FINALLY think i have got a real good understanding of this place i am going to!

by 21traveller Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 6:37 PM

hi every one. thanks for your help. i really appreciated all your comments. being a stranger to the town, i am going to boost the disney coffers by staying on site., however you have all helped in making it more of a budget stay than expensive.

by Donna_in_India Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 6:43 PM

You'll have a wonderful time. We'll be there the first week of December. Christmas time is such a great time at Disney! Enjoy!

by 21traveller Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 10:04 PM

hi another question. i may be able to get to the park on 13 dec to 17 or thereabouts. the research tells me that 16 dec to 31 dec is the "holiday season"and there fore really busy. would i miss some of the crowds if i went the earlier date. whats your opinion?

by Homanded Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 4:43 AM

All of December is crowded as they will begin and decorate all the Disney parks for Christmas right after the Thanksgiving holidays.
    This time of year is one of the most popular for sheer spectacle, beauty and the fact that kids all across America are off on their Christmas holiday break.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 6:40 AM

yes indeed anything after thanksgiving end of nov is crowded but hey that is part of the fun at these parks, they are never really empty ::)

have a great time there and remember you can have your hand stamp out so can go outside for eating is cheaper too.
    cheers

by Donna_in_India Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 6:46 AM

Hi - take a look at this chart...yourfirstvisit.net/wp-conten...

The time you originally planned falls into the "highest" and "higher" categories as far as crowds. It is also more expensive.

It you are able to go on the 13th-17th, I'd recommend doing that! You will still be able to enjoy all the Christmas decorations, shows, and parades. Prices are lower and best of all crowds are "low".

by 21traveller Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 12:32 PM

hi there. this is interesting advice. we will be on foot. is there anything convenient to go out side the park for eating if we have no car? at this stage we are looking at staying at a value resort, ie pop culture or all stars. from the maps i have looked at the distances seem hugh and it would seem to take forever to negotiate leaving the park for something to eat. also can you just drink tap water there, or do you need bottle water.

by Donna_in_India Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 1:42 PM

You definitely don't want to have to leave the park for meals. There won't be anything in walking distance and anywhere you go by Disney transportation will take you to a Disney property. It's not cheap to eat in Disney. Maybe you want to take a look at the dining plans offered. I have never priced them but they are popular so might be worth checking out...disneyworld.disney.go.com/pl....

by Homanded Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 1:43 PM

No need to worry about "hoofing it".
    For starters, there are all sorts of eateries within the resort itself, pizza, burgers, sandwiches, hot meals, etc.
    Additionally, you can catch the complimentary shuttle to Downtown Disney or boardwalk where you will find all sorts of eateries.
    As to affordable...not terribly expensive but not cheap either.
    There is a McDonalds about 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 mile from All Stars.

by goodfish Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 1:57 PM

21traveller wrote:
    hi there. this is interesting advice. we will be on foot. is there anything convenient to go out side the park for eating if we have no car? at this stage we are looking at staying at a value resort, ie pop culture or all stars. from the maps i have looked at the distances seem hugh and it would seem to take forever to negotiate leaving the park for something to eat. also can you just drink tap water there, or do you need bottle water.

Tap water is fine: bring a bottle. Yes, distances are considerable and to be honest, the whole point of the Disney complex is to keep you THERE: That's why the hotels are set up like resorts with pools and mutiple restaurants, and there is shopping and many places to eat within the parks themselves. Without a car you will not be leaving the property but taking shuttles around to various locations within it. 

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 3:20 PM

no car in the area you are restricted, maybe then stay in the park and use the meal plan. Car is king in FLorida lol!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Florida Travel Answer Locations