Florida Travel Answers

change location

First time to florida

by vegasme2 Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Hello! My husband and I will be going to Florida for the first time March 2013 and I will like some advice of where to visit. What are the perfect beaches to go. Also where to go eata nd where to stay. We are planing to be there for 1 week. Thanks!

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • TexasDave's Profile Photo

Re: First time to florida

by TexasDave Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 5:24 AM

There are great beaches, hotels, and restaurants in every corner of the State, so it would take volumes to answer your question. You'll get much more meaningful answers if you narrow down your question, like, what are your interests, what airport are you flying in to, etc. which is very important because it is a big state. To give you an idea, if you wanted to drive through the whole state (Miami-Jacksonville-Pensacola for example) it would take over 10 hours of pure highway driving, stopping only for gas.

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • riorich55's Profile Photo

by riorich55 Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 6:23 AM

Yes indeed Florida is a huge state as TexasDave mentioned. So you do need to be more specific.

Now a couple of things about Florida in March. It is a huge destination for Spring Break and college students. The most popular beaches will be invaded by loud, partying kids between the ages of 18 and 22. If that's what you want then you will have plenty of partying. Hotels will be booked and what vacancies there are will be expensive. Also since Florida is a North/South state it will be warmer down south toward Miami and the Florida Keys then it will be up North.

1 member found this helpful

• martensd's Profile Photo

by martensd Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Yeah I can't add much to the last two posts. You need to decide what you want to see and do. Go to the many Florida Websites to get some ideas. I lived in FL for ten years and have been going down there for over 30 and still have not seen and done all there is. The time of year (weather and Spring Break) also need to be considered. South Beach is nice if you are into the see and be seen, beautiful beaches....and bodies and the club scene is hot. But it is not cheap to do it up. Lot of ethnic food in and around Miami too.

For my money, I like the Florida Keys. Another of my choices is to stay on the Gulf side (Clearwater Beach/St. Pete) and hit Orlando and the parks. It is less than a two hour drive and you can stay out of the mayhem of Orlando and be on a beach.

Check out the travel pages and forums for more on Florida and give you some guidance.

VT'ers are here to help so if you have questions I am sure someone will have an answer. Cheers David

Be the first to rate this answer!

• TheTravelSlut's Profile Photo

by TheTravelSlut Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 1:05 PM

A general question can only yield general answers like the previous three. The more specific question you can ask, the more detailed answer you will likely get.

There are several factors to consider in addition to the ones noted above before and those would include:

1) Where do you fly into and out of? Orlando (MCO) is more central in the state than Miami (MIA) or Fort Lauderdale (FLL) or Tampa (TPA)

2) You could spend one night in several locations or 3-4 nights in one area and do day trips. Both have their advantages.

3) I know you mentioned beaches and restaurants and there is so much to choose from.

4) Some Florida facts: Miles of sand beaches - 1,200 Miles of coastline - 1,800 Florida has more than 11,000 miles of rivers, streams & waterways Longest River - St. Johns at 273 miles Largest Lake - Lake Okeechobee at 700 square miles

5) Florida has it highlights that most know about (Miami & South Beach, Disneyworld, Everglades, Kennedy Space Center, Univseral Studios, Florida Keys, etc). Are you interested in these or lesser known venues. Just doing on day at each of these locations burns up your week and they will include beaches and great dining.

1 member found this helpful

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

by easterntrekker Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Yes ..too bad you didn't say where in Florida ...with only one week you'll not see it all. I hope it's not near the Keys....or Sanibel Island .....love the beaches and area but so do most people and getting on and off the islands is crazy in March so are the hotel prices.
    My personal favourite is Boca Grande...just south of Venice near Englewood. it's a small island circled with a beach...a lovely little village with little shops and restaurants.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Florida Travel Answer Locations