Florence

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Car rental

by Italyforhoneymoon Online Now Jul 19, 2014 at 9:25 AM

I've spend hours as hours researching car rental places and am still feeling nervous and have not gotten anywhere. I need to rent an automatic car (don't know how to drive manual) and would pick it up at the Florence airport. All the rental companies seem to have very high holds on your visa in the fine print . For example, to rent a car at thrifty they put a 1700 € hold /bond on your visa incase of damage or something else. While I hope to have no trouble with damage or accidents, it just seems outrageously high to me. Does anyone know a better alternative? A place where there isn't such a high hold or deductible? Or Is this just normal in all of Italy? Hertz for example doesn't have a high hold - just or days worth of car rental and a tank of gas.

more
    • Where to rent a car

by Italyforhoneymoon Online Now Jul 18, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Hi! I'm taking a train from venice to florence and trying to figure out where the best and most convient place is to pick up a rental car with minimal hassel. I will be taking Italo to florence Santa Maria station. If I am at Santa Maria station, can I take a shuttle to the airport and get a car there? Is that a good idea? If so how long does it take and how much time do i give myself to tell the rental car company what time i'll be there?

Any assistance and feedback is very much apreciated!

more
    • Vespa ride through Tuscany

by dpharr Online Now Jun 26, 2014 at 10:23 AM

My wife and I will be in Rome (4 days) & decided to take a break to go to Florence for at least most of day 3. I am planning to book a vespa tour that rides through Tuscany for 4 hours w/ meal included. I just wanted to know if anyone has done something similiar and whether it was worthwhile considering the time away from Rome? Thanks for your help.

more
    • Santa Maria Novella

by CaTaSiag14 Online Now Jun 25, 2014 at 4:51 AM

Are there still some renation works there?

more
    • LauraD40's Profile Photo

Luxury Travel

by LauraD40 Online Now Jun 23, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Good Evening everyone

How much and how often would you recommend tipping waiting staff in a 5* boutique hotel?

Thanks in advance

Laura Davies

more
    • Is Ethiad/Darwin Airlines reliable to fly Zurich-Florence?

by lahormiguitaviajera Online Now Jul 3, 2014 at 12:52 PM

I have to travel from Zurich to Florence, and the only low-cost option seems to be Ethiad Airlines (previously, Darwin Airline). Has any one flown with this company? Is it reliable?
      Thank you!

more
    • tracyskf's Profile Photo

Day trip to Pisa from Florence

by tracyskf Online Now Jul 2, 2014 at 9:24 AM

I have 2 full days in Florence and 1 full day for Pompeii. I would like to find out:

- the best route to get to Pisa. I will be staying near central train station. what are the station name for Pisa?

- if I have 1 full day, how is it best to maximise to see Pisa? Do I get tickets in advance and is there any specific day that it is closed etc? Any specific tips would be helpful.

How much time do I have to allocate to get back to Florence? This will be in mid October - any tips on when sunsets and attractions close would help. Thanks :)

more
    • 4 days trip to tuscany

by adar1122 Online Now Jul 20, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Hi. i'm going on a trip to tuscany this thursday. I have 4 days. I've got an hotel in florence. I'll get there around 14:30 PM. So I thought I'd visit florence for a day and a half, day 3 - san gimigniano and siena and day 4 - lucca. I won't rent a car so I'll have to use the bus. Do you think these are the best places to visit in my 4 day trip? (I went to pisa in the past so i'll skip it this time). where can I see the time for the buses, should I buy a ticket ahead?
      also in florence I understand that it's better to buy ahead to Uffizi and Accademia. can I still buy it for this week? if I have to know exactly the hour I'd be there it could be a bit problematic... what do you think? thanks for any help

more

3 days in Florence

by tracyskf Online Now Jul 3, 2014 at 7:11 AM

I initially planned for 3 days in Florence including day trip to Pisa. Now I am extending 1 day so I have 3 full days in Florence (by cutting down 1 day in Venice from 3.5 days to 2.5 days). Is this a good idea?

For 3 full days in Florence, how should I plan it out? I would like to see Duomo, architecure, well known art and do things the local way.

I will be staying near the central train station, is everything walkable? Any recommendation for food?

Any useful tips much appreciated :)

more
    • 4 days trip to tuscany

by adar1122 Online Now Jul 20, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Hi. i'm going on a trip to tuscany this thursday. I have 4 days. I've got an hotel in florence. I'll get there around 14:30 PM. So I thought I'd visit florence for a day and a half, day 3 - san gimigniano and siena and day 4 - lucca. I won't rent a car so I'll have to use the bus. Do you think these are the best places to visit in my 4 day trip? (I went to pisa in the past so i'll skip it this time). where can I see the time for the buses, should I buy a ticket ahead?
      also in florence I understand that it's better to buy ahead to Uffizi and Accademia. can I still buy it for this week? if I have to know exactly the hour I'd be there it could be a bit problematic... what do you think? thanks for any help

11 Answers Yesterday
    • Car rental

by Italyforhoneymoon Online Now Jul 19, 2014 at 9:25 AM

I've spend hours as hours researching car rental places and am still feeling nervous and have not gotten anywhere. I need to rent an automatic car (don't know how to drive manual) and would pick it up at the Florence airport. All the rental companies seem to have very high holds on your visa in the fine print . For example, to rent a car at thrifty they put a 1700 € hold /bond on your visa incase of damage or something else. While I hope to have no trouble with damage or accidents, it just seems outrageously high to me. Does anyone know a better alternative? A place where there isn't such a high hold or deductible? Or Is this just normal in all of Italy? Hertz for example doesn't have a high hold - just or days worth of car rental and a tank of gas.

3 Answers Jul 19, 2014 at 4:54 PM
    • Where to rent a car

by Italyforhoneymoon Online Now Jul 18, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Hi! I'm taking a train from venice to florence and trying to figure out where the best and most convient place is to pick up a rental car with minimal hassel. I will be taking Italo to florence Santa Maria station. If I am at Santa Maria station, can I take a shuttle to the airport and get a car there? Is that a good idea? If so how long does it take and how much time do i give myself to tell the rental car company what time i'll be there?

Any assistance and feedback is very much apreciated!

3 Answers Jul 18, 2014 at 11:06 AM
    • Is Ethiad/Darwin Airlines reliable to fly Zurich-Florence?

by lahormiguitaviajera Online Now Jul 3, 2014 at 12:52 PM

I have to travel from Zurich to Florence, and the only low-cost option seems to be Ethiad Airlines (previously, Darwin Airline). Has any one flown with this company? Is it reliable?
      Thank you!

6 Answers Jul 4, 2014 at 12:52 AM

3 days in Florence

by tracyskf Online Now Jul 3, 2014 at 7:11 AM

I initially planned for 3 days in Florence including day trip to Pisa. Now I am extending 1 day so I have 3 full days in Florence (by cutting down 1 day in Venice from 3.5 days to 2.5 days). Is this a good idea?

For 3 full days in Florence, how should I plan it out? I would like to see Duomo, architecure, well known art and do things the local way.

I will be staying near the central train station, is everything walkable? Any recommendation for food?

Any useful tips much appreciated :)

11 Answers Jul 4, 2014 at 6:54 AM

Day trip to Pisa from Florence

by tracyskf Online Now Jul 2, 2014 at 9:24 AM

I have 2 full days in Florence and 1 full day for Pompeii. I would like to find out:

- the best route to get to Pisa. I will be staying near central train station. what are the station name for Pisa?

- if I have 1 full day, how is it best to maximise to see Pisa? Do I get tickets in advance and is there any specific day that it is closed etc? Any specific tips would be helpful.

How much time do I have to allocate to get back to Florence? This will be in mid October - any tips on when sunsets and attractions close would help. Thanks :)

8 Answers Jul 3, 2014 at 9:14 AM
    • Vespa ride through Tuscany

by dpharr Online Now Jun 26, 2014 at 10:23 AM

My wife and I will be in Rome (4 days) & decided to take a break to go to Florence for at least most of day 3. I am planning to book a vespa tour that rides through Tuscany for 4 hours w/ meal included. I just wanted to know if anyone has done something similiar and whether it was worthwhile considering the time away from Rome? Thanks for your help.

4 Answers Jun 26, 2014 at 12:40 PM
    • Santa Maria Novella

by CaTaSiag14 Online Now Jun 25, 2014 at 4:51 AM

Are there still some renation works there?

4 Answers Jun 26, 2014 at 10:05 AM
    • LauraD40's Profile Photo

Luxury Travel

by LauraD40 Online Now Jun 23, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Good Evening everyone

How much and how often would you recommend tipping waiting staff in a 5* boutique hotel?

Thanks in advance

Laura Davies

4 Answers Jun 24, 2014 at 7:44 AM
    • New Stores

by jaymelee3 Online Now Jun 17, 2014 at 6:24 AM

Hi - I was in Florence last year and wanted to know if any new stores had opened since then.

1 Answer Jul 16, 2014 at 2:06 PM
    • in the heart of Florence Hotel of B&B with nice Breakfast.

by RitaAkop Online Now Jun 14, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Hello,
      Can you suggest the best location that's right at the center, in the heart of the Florence, I'm a city girl, I like all the actions, entertainment, shopping and restaurants. I think up to $350 per night hotel or B&B works for me. I'm going with my husband from July 20-July23. Thank you, Rita

7 Answers Jun 15, 2014 at 11:05 PM
    • MJ16NYC's Profile Photo

short tours out of Florence with my 84 yr old dad

by MJ16NYC Online Now Jun 14, 2014 at 12:21 AM

I am planning to take my dad to Italy for his first time (tho not mine) in October this yearl. He's a spry and healthy 85-year old man (who forgets how old he is so I need to be a bit careful not to tire him out.) I am doing a two week Home Exchange with an apartment in Florence so we will have a home base from which we can take a couple of trips. And we won't have a car. He very much wants to go to the Amalfi Coast so I'm wondering if it might be best to book a tour from Florence. There's a tour company called bus2Alps.com that has a 4-day tour that I'm exploring, but I wonder if anyone could recommend other tour operators I could investigate? OR if people think it might be just as easy to go to Amalfi and get a hotel for a couple of nights and make our way around on our own?

3 Answers Jun 14, 2014 at 4:19 PM
    • purse from florence

by kathyk55 Online Now Jun 13, 2014 at 8:29 AM

try to find out about john f from Florence Italy who sign and made a black clutch purse from my great grandmother nobody seems to know john f

1 Answer Jun 13, 2014 at 8:47 AM
    • Seeing the David

by Scooter8485 Online Now Jun 12, 2014 at 9:11 PM

We are online trying to buy tickets to the Academia gallery to view the David statue and it seems pretty confusing. The tickets seem to be more expensive than I thought they would be - over 20 euros per person. I just want to make sure we are not accidentally paying for more than we want - like the Uffizi gallery, or lunch, or something.

Thanks for any info.

3 Answers Jun 13, 2014 at 3:31 AM
    • Uffizi or pitti palace for teens?

by Vajthomas Online Now Jun 8, 2014 at 4:17 PM

I am chaperoning a groups of students age 13-18 to Florence. We only have a day to see the city. Which museum should we visit ? Only time for one

5 Answers Jun 9, 2014 at 11:22 PM
    • silentfish193350's Profile Photo

Public transport to Florence

by silentfish193350 Online Now Jun 5, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Can anyone with recent experience give me the availability of train, bus services from Rome to Florence. Is it difficult to get train tickets now? and what bus service should I take in case of need?

24 Answers Jun 6, 2014 at 11:25 PM
    • fay00's Profile Photo

Florence on my own!

by fay00 Online Now Jun 3, 2014 at 9:18 AM

Hello everyone! I will be in Florence for 3 days at the end of June. I was wondering how safe it is at night for a single female to go wandering about the city centre. I would love to check out the sunset at Piazza Michaelagelo (I think that's the one) and am wondering if I do this will I be stuck in an unsafe situation trying to get back to my hotel.
      I am also interested in getting out of the city for a day to explore a bit of the Tuscan countryside - any suggestions>? I won't have a vehicle so I guess I'm looking for opinions on guided bike/vespa tours.
      Thanks so much!

13 Answers Jun 5, 2014 at 11:02 PM
    • Students at LDM...discount shoes

by GimaCarroll Online Now May 31, 2014 at 4:12 PM

My daughter is staying at LDM for a summer course and broke some of her shoes. Anyplace nearby to get inexpensive sandels?

1 Answer May 31, 2014 at 5:02 PM
    • Looking for a good place to stay in Florence, end of September

by youwilldoit Online Now May 27, 2014 at 11:36 PM

My friend and I are going to Tuscany in September for 10 days and we were thinking of getting a small apartment in Florence. Does anybody have suggestions on good, clean, reasonably priced apartments? In the center of town would be the best.
      Thanks !! Monique

1 Answer May 28, 2014 at 12:19 AM
    • Our Italian Trip

by flyingmoxie Online Now May 25, 2014 at 7:36 AM

We are planning a trip next year - end April for two weeks, approximately, to basically cover Florence, Tuscany, Amalfi Coast (if possible) and Venice. Ideally it needs to be in that order or at least Venice to be the last destination. Alternatively, a route that allows us to return to Venice as we need to embark on a train from Venice. We would love to see the countryside, some beaches, city, good food and wine and shopping of course! At end's wit now. We would avoid Rome and Milan as we have been there before. Appreciate some ideas! Thanks!

14 Answers May 27, 2014 at 10:47 PM
    • Traveling from port in La Spezia to Florence?

by Scooter8485 Online Now May 22, 2014 at 8:28 AM

We are crusing into La Spezia and want to travel into Florence. Private transportation appears to be pretty expensive so we are considering being a little more adverturous and simply taking the train. How far is it to the train station from the port? If we need a taxi, how hard is it to get one and how expensive are they? How difficult is it to navigate the train system (buy tickets, get on the right train, etc.)? Are there direct, non-stop trains that make this trip? And, importantly, how long does the trip take?

6 Answers Jun 13, 2014 at 10:45 AM
    • Is Nothern Italy always green?

by JimGunther Online Now May 5, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Just returned from a Venice, San Marino, Florence, CT-5 self-drive tour and was particularly struck by the lush, green countryside. Believe it or not, I had the same impression of California from my first LA to SF trip some years ago. I didn't realize those lovely hills were more often "golden" than green.

Does the Italian countryside - typically - "golden-up"?

4 Answers May 6, 2014 at 8:41 AM
    • neighbourhoods in Florence...

by pp73 Online Now Apr 29, 2014 at 6:19 PM

has any stayed in the neighbourhood of 'via dell caldaie' in Florence; I have found a great apartment there, but just wanted to ask about the neighbourhood…thanks in advance…I need to decide within a few hours whether to book this place, otherwise I'm sure it'll go!

2 Answers Apr 30, 2014 at 6:11 AM
    • MJ16NYC's Profile Photo

Taking my 85 yr old dad to Tuscany for his first time

by MJ16NYC Online Now Apr 28, 2014 at 4:11 PM

I am planning to take my dad to Italy for his first time (tho not mine) in October this fall. He's a spry and healthy 85 year old man (who forgets how old he is and can sometimes tire himself out.) He's said he's not much interested in the big cities and so I've been investigating our spending two weeks in Tuscany - imagining a kind of day on/day off excursion schedule and staying in one place as our home base. Florence is my first thought because it's well situated with plenty of transportation options and things to do of an evening. BUT I can't help but fear the THRONGS and how their consistent presence -- even in October? - will affect his experience (and mine). Anyone have any other home bases to recommend that have nightlife and good transportation options AND/OR a good place to stay in Florence that provides some respite from the throngs? It's my dad's first time out of North America so I want to do it right.

16 Answers May 16, 2014 at 3:07 PM
    • Which is the best way to travel from Florence to San Gimignano and then onto Cortona?

by antonneau Online Now Apr 12, 2014 at 6:24 PM

We would like to take a bus or train from Florence to San Gimignano and then onto Cortona. Any ideas which is the best way to travel to San Gimignano, bus or train? And can we then take a bus to Cortona from San Gimignano? Which city would your recommend we stay at a night or two, San Gimignano or Cortona? We will be traveling with our 3 children all in their 20's, in August of this year and will spend most of our time in Florence.
      Thank you for any advice here!!!

2 Answers Apr 12, 2014 at 8:26 PM
    • Size 34 ladies shoes

by sandrahooper Online Now Apr 9, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Hi, I am a size 34 in shoes and have a lot of trouble finding shoes to fit. Does anyone know if size 34 is standard in Florence, and if not, does anyone know if there shops that stock smaller sizes. I am looking for sandals, boots and walking shoes.

3 Answers May 6, 2014 at 3:52 AM
    • No Question Title

by roselop Online Now Apr 9, 2014 at 7:37 AM

Hello! I am planning to visit the Tuscany region on June 26 to June 30 with my 3 adult children. Should we make Florence our base & just take day trips to Siena & San Gimignano? Would you recommend going to Cinque Terre? Would appreciate your advice. Thank you!

5 Answers Apr 9, 2014 at 10:19 AM
    • Best area to stay in Florence

by mgoncalves Online Now Apr 5, 2014 at 4:22 AM

I'm torn between staying in the Duomo area vs Piazza Tasso vs Arno, i'm travelling with husband and 2 boys, where is the best place to stay?

12 Answers Apr 5, 2014 at 10:38 AM
    • transfer between Pertola airport and city center

by margaret13 Online Now Mar 28, 2014 at 2:57 AM

Hi
      can you tell me how much it would cost to get a taxi or bus from airport to somewhere in city center as yet i do not have an address for apartment

5 Answers Mar 28, 2014 at 6:04 PM
    • Florence to Paris with a 1 night stop over in a little village

by Thegables Online Now Mar 23, 2014 at 1:40 AM

Hi, My sister and I would like to travel from Florence to Paris on the 16 th May by train with a 1 night stop over in a little village.  It is hard to work out which train to take and where they stop. 

Many thanks.

3 Answers Mar 23, 2014 at 3:20 AM