Florence Travel Answers

change location
kuroshino's Profile Photo

From Pisa to Florence train/bus info & Opera place recommendation

by kuroshino Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 5:11 AM

Hi, I am visiting Florence in March 7-10. I will travel from Pisa city centre to Florence. There are several questions I have:

1. I've checked Trenitalia, there are trains from Pisa to Florence at 7.8 euro. The price seems good. Do I need to book tickets online earlier or I can purchase at the train station at the same price?

2. I wonder could anyone please help me to find information about traveling by bus? As I couldn't find bus information from Pisa to Florence.

3. I would love to visit at least one opera in Florence. I check the website, it appears that there are two locations have opera shows, the St Mark's English Church and the Chiesa di Santa Monaca. Do I need to book tickets earlier to these places? Or I can just purchase on the spot? Or any other places better for an opera show?

I will very much appreciate your information. Thanks all.

Best,

Isabel

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: From Pisa to Florence train/bus info & Opera place recommendation

by goodfish Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 5:19 AM

Hi - Can't help you with the opera but no, you don't need to pre-book train tickets from Pisa to Florence in advance; buy them at the station on the day you make the trip. In fact, if I'm not mistaken that's a regionale train that doesn't book more than 7 days in advance anyway - we just had that question a couple of days ago on a different thread. :O)

Here's info on the bus from Pisa airport to Florence (SM Novella train station):

terravision.eu/florence_pisa...

We used this bus from Florence to Pisa and it's very comfortable. Just FYI though; we only used it because of a train strike or we would have gone via rail instead.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by goodfish Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 5:23 AM

Sorry, forgot to mention that yes, that train price is good, and yes, it should be that same price if you buy it day-of-travel at the station.

• kuroshino's Profile Photo

by kuroshino Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 5:59 AM

Hi, thanks for the train ticket and bus information. That's helpful. Hopefully others could help on the opera bit :)

Best,

Isabel

by goodfish Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 6:08 AM

You're welcome - glad it was helpful!

As far as the opera, we need member Nemorino (Don) here:

"Happy Verdi-and-Wagner Year 2013 !" - Nemorino's Profile

He's our opera expert and while I see he doesn't have Florence on his travel map, that doesn't mean he hasn't been there or hasn't researched Firenze opera houses in the past. I'm hoping he sees your post when he next logs in. Off the top of my head I'm guessing tickets to these events should always be ordered in advance as opera is so popular in Italy but we'll see what other members might advise here?

• y2ketan2007's Profile Photo

by y2ketan2007 Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 6:22 AM

The journey from Pisa to Florence by train is very short and quite comfortable.Trenitalia is a dependable service and the chair cars are very comfortable.You may book your tickets right before your journey at the railway station because there are several trains each day and you can select an hour convenient to you.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo

by Nemorino Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Thanks, goodfish, for alerting me to this thread.

Unfortunately I haven’t been to an opera in Florence (yet) but I have been trying to follow the situation.

To keep it short, the international opera websites do not list any opera performances in Florence for March 7-10. The next listed production is Verdi’s Don Carlo on May 2, 5, 8 and 12, to be conducted by Zubin Mehta and with Ekaterina Gubanova as Eboli. But this will be at the old Teatro Comunale, not the big new opera house which apparently is not yet fully operational (though they have already held an inaugural concert there).

by goodfish Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Hmmm. I do see this:
    classictic.com/en/special/fl...

While not complete operas, there does appear to be duet performances from select works at St. Marks on the 7th, and select arias at Santa Monaca on the 8th and 10th.

If your heart is set on seeing one of these, I would recommend ordering tickets in advance so you're not disappointed should they sell out?

• Nemorino's Profile Photo

by Nemorino Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Another option might be one of the orchestra concerts at the Teatro Comunale, to be conducted by Andrea Battistoni on March 7 and 8. They are playing Robert Schumann’s Manfred Overture and Franz Schubert’s mass D 950 for soloists, chorus and orchestra. I think this would be my choice rather than one of the church recitals with piano accompaniment. Concert tickets are available online:
    vivaticket.it/index.php?nvpg...

My experience with opera performances in Italy is that they are few and far between. In earlier centuries they performed the same opera thirty nights in a row. Now the norm is more like four performances a month, if that.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 10:54 AM

1. No, you don't need to book tickets online in advance (you don't for any Italian train, though you may choose to do so).

Trains from Pisa Centrale>Florence are frequent. Ticket machines have English language options and are easy to use: they accept cash and give change, and willl also accept cards which have chip & PIN. Refuse any offers to 'help' you with the ticket machine. You don't need it and you willbe expected to pay for the 'help' you get.

Remember to validate (date-stamp) your ticket *before* boarding the train using the yellow (perhaps the newer green-and white) validation machines at the entrance to platforms and on the platforms themselves. Don't forget to do this: there are on-the-spot fines for non-validation and inspectors do check.

2. There are buses from Pisa to Florence, but the involve a change of bus. It really isn't worth the hassle of taking them: train is much easier and not much more expensive. I'll have a dig round for the bus timetables....

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 11:01 AM

It's Vaibus. You'd need to take the Q1 bus Florence>Lucca and then the Q3 Lucca>Pisa. Timetables here:

vaibus.com/pdf/Extraurbano4f...

But, really, train is by far the easiest option.

• GrumpyL5's Profile Photo

by GrumpyL5 Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Not much help for the Florence trip - sorry- but if you are in Pisa, there is a splendid old Opera House - Teatro di Pisa. I think there is a piano recital on the 5th and a chamber performance of aria's in the theatre salon on 12th. There are opera and dance performances on a few other dates. I mention this should you be staying in Pisa or returning for travel.
    In the past I've purchased tickets on the church door in Florence, but seem to the church being very full, so if you can book in advance all the better - or turn up early.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines