Florence Travel Answers

change location
Astrid74's Profile Photo

One Day in Florence...but no museum?

by Astrid74 Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 8:33 PM

we're going to Florence this May and will have one full day plus a morning. Anyone has any suggestion what sights should be on the list if you're not too much into museums?

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: One Day in Florence...but no museum?

by mccalpin Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Hmmmn, I don't know...are you interested in tall, well-built young men who are completely naked? The David at the Accademmia might be a must-see for you ;-) I believe that this now has timed tickets, so it's something you want to arrange in advance.

Ditto with the Uffizi - timed tickets that you should arrange in advance. What's there? Venus on the Half Shell - OK, "the Birth of Venus" by Botticelli...

You'll want to see the Ponte Vecchio, although you may recognize it better from views from along the Arno rather than on the bridge itself (most photos are taken from along the Arno back towards the bridge).

And if you go to Piazza Michelangelo, you'll get that great view of Florence from somewhat of a higher elevation, so the Duomo stands out (this is where many of the photos of the Duomo are taken).

In my case, I had to go visit the tomb of Machiavelli at Santa Croce, but most people may not be into that ;-)

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: One Day in Florence...but no museum?

by ukinsurance Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Well florence is renowned for its history, Piazza della Signoria is its most famous square, you can relive the old times here. Then there are cathedrals and monasteries, which will remind you of another era.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 11:34 PM

I haven't yet been into either the Uffizi or the accademia and have spent well over 5 days in Florence itself.

You can see a replica of the mostly-naked young man in Piazza della Signoria, so that's ok. :-)

*Walk the historical centre, enjoying the architecture and the history. Pop into any church which is open: most are ancient, most are stuffed with works of art.

*Make sure you visit the Bargello district and get a gelato from Vivoli ('the best ice-cream in Florence'..their 'Fantasia' flavour really is superb):

Vivoli: "Still the best ice-cream in Florence" - Florence Restaurant Tip by leics

*Take yourself across the Ponte Vecchio and make a visit to the Boboli gardens (May will be a lovely time). Don't queue up for your ticket at the Pitti Palace: keep walking and a bit further on you'll find another entrance with no queues:

"Boboli Gardens" - Pitti Palace & Boboli Gardens Tip by leics

* Visit San Lorenzo Market:

"Explore San Lorenzo market...." - Florence Things to Do Tip by leics

and the Mercato Centrale:

"Wander the Mercato Centrale" - Mercato Centrale Tip by leics

and for a much less tourist-directed experience, find Sant'Ambrogio market:

"Find Sant'Ambrogio market....." - Florence Things to Do Tip by leics

* Go into the Duomo (free, but there will be a queue) then pay to explore the ancient remains of Santa Reparata which lie beneath it:

"Santa Reparata" - Florence Things to Do Tip by leics

* Take the bus (12 or 13) from the bus station outside Florence Santa Maria Novella station up to Piazza Michaelangelo, for stunning views of the city and a vist to the pink-and-white San Miniato al Monte. Time your visit to this ancient church to be there for around 5pm and you'll hear monks chanting plainsong around the shrine on the same spot they have done so for over 1000 years (not the same monks, obviously!). Bus times and route info in English here:

ataf.net/en/timetables-and-r...

* Take the bus up to pretty, green Fiesole:

"My sort of place........................" - Fiesole by leics

for an late afternoon or evening wander with excellent views of the city below (perhaps a meal as well?). Buses leave regularly but not from SMN. My tip has info:

"To Fiesole from Florence" - By Bus Tip by leics

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Jan 31, 2013 at 2:54 AM

Just echoing the opinions of some of the other posters here...

Yes, Piazzale Michelangelo is a must for one of the most glorious panoramas of the city:
    "Florence from above" - Piazalle Michelangelo Tip by goodfish

And San Miniato and the cemetery while you're up there:
    "Miniato on the Mount" - San Miniato al Monte Tip by goodfish
    "Cimitero delle Porte Sante" - San Miniato al Monte Tip by goodfish

Basilica Santa Croce - where Michelangelo is buried:
    "Holy Cross" - Basilica Santa Croce Tip by goodfish

Yes, of course the Duomo but you really only need to see the exterior if time is tight:
    "The Flower of Firenze" - Il Duomo - Santa Maria del Fiore Tip by goodfish

The interior of the Baptistry is much more impressive than that of the Duomo:
    "Portals to Paradise" - Battistero San Giovanni & Gate of Paradise Tip by goodfish

Piazza Della Signoria and Loggia dei Lanzi; definitely:
    "The heart of the matter" - Piazza della Signoria Tip by goodfish
    "Tour de Force" - Loggia dei Lanzi Tip by goodfish

A walk down to see Ponte Vecchio:
    "Span of Centuries" - Ponte Vecchio & Arno River Tip by goodfish

And we enjoyed a walk through Piazza Santissima Annunziata very much:
    "Una piazza perfetta" - Piazza Santissima Annunziata Tip by goodfish

There are also a couple more churches I could recommend - mostly for the art - but if you're not into museums, I'm guessing you might not be interested in those?

• Homanded's Profile Photo

by Homanded Online Now Jan 31, 2013 at 4:25 AM

The beauty of Florence is much more than the museums - for those such as yourself who do not plan on visiting them.
    Florence just jumps out at you with sheer beauty of cobble stoned streets, ancient buildings, beautiful displays, delicious food, history...I could go on and on, it was our favorite city in Italy.
    Simply walking will allow you to find something you will no doubt be happy with.
    As others have mentioned, the copy of David but also many other beautiful statues in Piazza della Signora all surrounding the beautiful Palazzo Vecchio and flanked by the Uffizi Gallery.
    As you walk the corridor of the Uffizi it opens up to the river and from there, you look to the right and you have the Ponte Vecchio.
    Walking the streets will find you some wonderful food, trattorias, gelatto shops, etc.
    Then there's the Duomo, etc.
    Finally, go to Piazzale Michelangelo for a gorgeous view of the city and sunset if you can get there.
    You can walk there (as we did) albeit a long but I thought worth it walk and take a bus from there back to town.
    Buses run from the Piazzale and stop directly under the replica of David atop the Piazzale.

You will love Florence and want to return for a longer stay - I'm betting on it.

Homer

• Astrid74's Profile Photo

by Astrid74 Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Thank you so much for all of you suggestion. I think I'll have a pretty good idea now to create a 2 day sightseeing tour for us :)

• GrumpyL5's Profile Photo

by GrumpyL5 Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Just to agree with the above suggestions, especially Santa Croce. A good walk around Florence is a joy every few yards.
    I'll add one suggestion for the great Duomo. If you're feeling fit then climb to the top of the dome. You get to enjoy a close up view of the fresco's of demons and naked naughty people thrown down to hell, and the usual boring rightious people. At the top of the dome there is a large viewing gallery with superb views across Florence and of the Duomo's campanille. On a nice day is it well worth the climb.

• markschaaf's Profile Photo

by markschaaf Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 1:00 PM

One of the things I tell people who don't really know what they want to see in any city is to go to google maps and just type in what is there to see in Florence and google will show you a map with little balloons all over it. Each balloon is a different attraction and will normally have a web site listed with it. Often they will also show you many outdoor squares and often bridges to see as well. As I said I often tell people this because suggesting something isn't what I normally like to do, just because I thought a place was a great place to see doesn't mean the person I am talking to will. The one thing I will tell you to see is the Ponte Vecchio bridge.

• loksch's Profile Photo

by loksch Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Uffizi, Pitti Palace, Boboli, Accademia Museum. Buy tickets in advance or you will be sorry.
    Enjoy

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 10:52 PM

You do not need to buy tickets in advance online for the Boboli gardens. You can just walk a little further down Via Romana (about 300m) and get your tickets for the garden from the its entrance on that road, without having to join the often long queues at the Pitti.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines