Florence Travel Answers

change location
SandiM's Profile Photo

Cheap tours

by SandiM Online Now Jan 23, 2012 at 7:12 PM

I've been to Florence 2x and have simply walked around enjoying the sites. That was fine for just little old me, but this time I am taking my mother in April and instead of walking aimlessly, I want to join a small group tour that will wander past (and sometimes go inside but not always necessary) the Ponte Vecchio, the Uffizi, Medici Chapel, the Duomo, and definitely skip-the-line for the Accademia (mom wants to see David). And I'd like to pay under 40euros, per person. Does such a tour exist? I have been browsing websites like mad tonight (and VT too!) and haven't found anything that totally suits. I do wish to skip all lines if possible, and if I have to eliminate one of those sites listed above it would be the Uffizi (might take too long to explore, we only have 4-6 hours to do this). Normally, I shun guided tours and prefer to just go where I please but this time something compels me to join a tour for a 1/2 day.

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • SandiM's Profile Photo

Re: Cheap tours

by SandiM Online Now Jan 23, 2012 at 8:59 PM

On second thought (after doing some more research online and coming up with blanks!), all I really need to know is if anyone knows of an AFTERNOON tour that includes a visit to the Accademia (skip the line). Or, if I can purchase the tickets online that would guarantee me a certain time to enter the Accademia so I don't have to wait, then that info would be helpful as well. Wow, all those 1/2 day tours of Florence and not a one available in the afternoon that incorporates a visit to the Accademia. Am I wrong? Even if price was not the object (well, sort of).

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jan 23, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Official site for Accademia online tickets:

http://www.firenzemusei.it/

You can choose the time (15 minute intervals).

• roberta2011's Profile Photo

by roberta2011 Online Now Jan 24, 2012 at 5:08 AM

Hi Sandi,

I am not sure how much this guide charges, but she does take tours to the Accademia and around on foot: myguideinflorence.com/en/iti...

Also, not sure if you can go in the afternoon with a guide. They may have restrictions on what times they can bring groups into the museums. I think the prices tend to be high because the guides have to be certified and licensed by the government so obviously, that is expensive for them as well and they want to make a living.

But good luck, you will probably have just as nice of a time wandering about with your mother, especially as you are already familiar with the city. Happy travels!

• mouse100378's Profile Photo

by mouse100378 Online Now Jan 24, 2012 at 5:10 AM

Well if it is the tour atmosphere you are looking for, this may not work, but I just discovered that you can download virtually any of Rick Steves' audio tour for free on itunes, including the Uffizi and the Accademia. I downloaded all of them, and we just plan to take our ipods along and listen as we go through the museums- for free! And we can stop and start it (and go) anytime we want.

• SandiM's Profile Photo

by SandiM Online Now Jan 24, 2012 at 11:17 AM

All helpful answers, thank you! So, if we decide we are not going to join a tour, and do this solo, and we buy out tickets for the Accademia online beforehand and get our confirmation # etc, does that online ticket with its specified entry time GUARANTEE that we can enter the gallery at that exact time? Or do we still join the lineup and wait? Is there a separate line-up for those who pre-bought tickets? I can't recall from my time there before, 4 years ago. Back then, I think I just showed up at the crack of dawn and got in within 20 mins, without pre-purchasing.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jan 24, 2012 at 12:07 PM

As I understand it there is a separate entrance/queue for those who have bought their tickets online. Hopefully another VT-er can confirm this. But if you couldn't, there wouldn't be much point buying tickets in advance online, would there?

No-one can absolutely guarantee you will get in at the *exact* time your ticket states...too many other factors.

• SandiM's Profile Photo

by SandiM Online Now Jan 24, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Well, since ma & I are arriving in Florence around 1pm on a Saturday, I thought we'd reserve for an afternoon viewing, or even one of the last spots in the later afternoon so that there's fewer people around (the tours are mainly in the monring, I understand). Too bad I can't take a photo--got snapped at by the guards the last time my hand ventured close to my camera bag the first time I went. Sure taught me a lesson! :)

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jan 24, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Yes, it's best to stick to the rules about photography, irritating though they can sometimes be. It's not nice being told off!

Trying to enforce a no-flash rule is much, much harder than enforcing a no-photography rule, so I do understand why the latter is often in place. It is thought that flash (when used regularly, as it would by in a visitor-popular place) can be damaging to ancient works.

I think your plan to visit in the late afternoon makes sense.

• SOUTHAFRICANDELLA's Profile Photo

by SOUTHAFRICANDELLA Online Now Feb 24, 2012 at 6:13 AM

found a tour agency that does private afternoon or evening tours of Florence, and included a skip the line tour of the Academia Gallary. Nancy Aiello tours e-mail [info@nancyalellotours.com]

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines