Florence Travel Answers

change location
petertktan's Profile Photo

1.5 days in Florence

by petertktan Online Now Jan 2, 2012 at 7:53 AM

HI, we will be travelling by train from Rome to Florence in 2 weeks time and need some help to plan our itinerary. We have only one evening, 1 full day and one morning in Florence? What are the highlights of Florence that we can quickly cover in this short time?? Thanks to all for your help!

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo

Re: 1.5 days in Florence

by ViajesdelMundo Online Now Jan 2, 2012 at 10:13 AM

of course, it will partially depend upon what YOU like; my very first thing on my first time, was to get into the UFFIZI gallery to see some of my favorite artists' paintings (i.e, Botticelli, Michelangelo, Raphael, etc)
    the Wikipedia site will give you a good overview: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uffizi

of course, it also depends upon which days of the week you are there, as the gallery is closed on Mondays; open Tues-Sun 08888:15 to 18:50.

it is one of the oldest and greatest art galleries in the world and quite extensive, but you can get tickets in advance so as to eliminate standing in the queue, and get a map of it ahead of time, so that you can identify which rooms/artists you would want to see.

The PITTI PALACE is another main attraction.

otherwise, the DUOMO/Cathedral of course is a main attraction; both of these are right in middle of the city; and otherwise, just walking around to get the flavor and poke into places of interest is how I ususally start out in a new place, where I have limited time. It's a city you will want to come back and back!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • markschaaf's Profile Photo

by markschaaf Online Now Jan 2, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Likewise I would make sure to see the Uffizi gallery but make sure you get your tickets in advance even this time of your the Uffizi has been known to sell out early in the morning and since you are there for only a day you wouldn't be able to go the next day if they sold out. I would also go to the ponti vecchio bridge and the surrounding area it is very nice. There are more museums in Florence but with only a day and a half I am not sure how many others you would want to see but one of the other famous museum in Florence is Accademia Gallery which is home to the famous statute of David.

• thegirlfromnewy's Profile Photo

by thegirlfromnewy Online Now Jan 2, 2012 at 3:47 PM

definately agree with the other posters and say make sure you visit the Duomo. You can climb to the top if you are not scared of heights

Also visit the Ponte Vecchio, it has amazing jewellery to buy or even just do some window shopping.

My favourite place is the Piazzale Michelangelo ie the replica of David atop the hill. You can walk up the hill (its not far from the Ponte Vecchio) or there is a bus that takes you to the top. Amazing views of the River, Duomo and all of Florence.

• petertktan's Profile Photo

by petertktan Online Now Jan 4, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Thanks guys for your kind comments. I had just booked Hotel Pendini facing the Piazza Republic Square so your tips should come in handy aand all should be nearby within walking distance. Just felt in love with this hotel over so many other well placed 4 star hotels because of its unique location.

• roberta2011's Profile Photo

by roberta2011 Online Now Jan 12, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Hello! I agree with the suggestions of the other posters and concur that climbing to the top of the Duomo is a once in a lifetime experience. If you have time, also walk along the Arno River - especially near sunset or early in the morning it is beautiful. I also really love the Boboli Gardens and the museum - not ever as crowded as the Uffizi: http://www.firenzemusei.it/boboli/ The San Lorenzo Market (mercato centrale) is also a great stop for a low cost lunch and to pick up food/wine to take home: goitaly.about.com/od/florenc... Anywhere you walk in Florence you will find amazing things to see, so you will definitely have a fantastic trip!

by petertktan Online Now Jan 12, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Thanks Roberta for your suggestions. My group of 6 is more keen to go to Prada and The Mall for shopping so we will spend one day there. Balance of time we will split between Duomo, Palazzo Pitt and another half day at San Lorenzo Market. Thanks so much for all the lovely suggestions.

by petertktan Online Now Jan 26, 2012 at 3:41 AM

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your tips. My group enjoyed Florence very much and was busy shopping rather than taking in the sights as stores were clashing prices up to 40-50 pct for winter wears. The stay around Piazza Republika was really convenient to everywhere.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines