Florence Travel Answers

change location

telephone???

by jerir Online Now Jul 29, 2007 at 9:54 AM

I'll be living in Italy from September to December. How will I make reasonably priced phone calls to the US?? I presently have a Verizon cell phone. Thanks so much.

Jeri R.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Lacristina's Profile Photo

Re: telephone???

by Lacristina Online Now Jul 29, 2007 at 3:12 PM

Of course, you can always call Verizon and ask them if they their phone works in Italy (I don't think Verizon phones do) and what the rates would be.

Cheapest would be to buy an international phone card...it shouldn't cost you more than 10 cents per minute. These can be bought at most "Tabacchi" shops in denominations of usually 10-20 Euros.

You scratch off your pin number, dial the toll-free number, enter your pin, than dial 00 for international access, 1 for the US, and then the area code plus phone number. e.g. 001 212 555 5555.

If you have (or buy) an unlocked tri-band or quad-band cell phone that works in Europe (or buy one there), you can buy an Italian SIM card (either off the internet or in Italy). With an Italian SIM card, when you're in Italy, you pay nothing to receive a call, no matter where it comes from. You only pay on an "as-you-go" basis for calls you make. However, calls to the US cost about .50 Euros per minute (using the TIM SIM card.)

For more info see: slowtrav.com/europe/cell_pho...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • travelmad478's Profile Photo

Re: telephone???

by travelmad478 Online Now Jul 29, 2007 at 6:08 PM

A Verizon cell phone will not work in Europe--Verizon uses the CDMA system while European networks are GSM. If you want to use the same phone number that you have in the US, switch your carrier to AT&T or T-Mobile and make sure you get a tri-band phone (you can keep your same number in the switch). That said, the calls you make back to the US will most definitely not be "reasonably priced." You will pay an arm and a leg for any overseas calls made on your US-based phone.

The above poster's idea to get an Italian SIM card is the best. You can buy "unlocked" GSM phones in the US quite cheaply (in fact, I have an old one I can sell you!). Just Google "unlocked tri-band" and you will get lots of choices. I bought mine from a place called USTronics.com.

• Re: telephone???

by dsd123 Online Now Jul 30, 2007 at 12:56 PM

Just to add that one option for you might be to buy a phone, or just the SIM card (if you have another phone other than the Verizon one) from a site like onsimcard.com. Verizon phones won't work for the reason that someone else said, there is a different standard over there. What I did when I visited was buy a phone which came with a SIM card and bought time from onesimcard.com on it. When you get there, you can buy a SIM card there and get it to work, but if you want something you know right now will work you might want to do what I did. Or if you only think you'd use your cell phone for emergencies, not even bother. Good luck.

by chala Online Now Aug 6, 2007 at 1:24 PM

Do you have Internet access there in Italy, I am not sure if Internet phone (Skype) works from Internet cafes I am just about to install Skype on my Computer...

That would be the cheapest.
    In Italy: vodafone.it,tim.it,tre.it, check their websites for international calls... you can buy mobile phones at vodafone for example which are not locked, I bought one one year ago for 69 Euro and 5 Euro traffic included, recharging the prepaid card either buying a recharge from the shop and ask them to do it .

Wish you success

Chala

by Steinberg Online Now Aug 20, 2007 at 10:11 AM

Hello, there are 2 solutions:
    1) buy an italian prepaid SIM card. Check on Squidoo.com for more advice
    2) a calling card. On saveonroaming.net they offer a very cheap one (called Hello Italy)

If you bring your laptop, you can use UMTS for 30 € a month.

by chala Online Now Sep 1, 2007 at 8:18 AM

unomobile.it...

Hi Jeri
    I just came back from Italy last night...

unomobile is a SIM Card, you can get at GS, Carrefour and diperdi Supermarkets,
    18 cent in italy per minute, 50 cent for foreign countries and the best thing is: on the back of the receipts you'll get at the checkout counters at these supermarkets after shopping give you codes for free uploads of 1 ore more Euro per check...coverage is pretty good

Enjoy italy

Chala

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines