Florence Travel Answers

change location

Florence to Milan Train

by mustasa Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Hi! we (me and and 2 children) will be in Tuscany in June. We will be flying out from Milan to go back home. Questions:
1. What high speed train do you recommend for Firenze to Milan
2. How do we get from Milan Termini to Malpensa International Airport
3. Will we have a hard time transporting our luggage from train to train? (Firenze to Milan Airport?)
Appreciate your suggestions thanks!
Catherine

Quote & Answer
37 Answers
  • riorich55's Profile Photo

Re: Florence to Milan Train

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Go to trenitalia.com for times and prices of the trains. What do you mean by "What high speed train"?

Don't know the answer to your 2nd question, but others you have travelled that route will.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 9:57 AM

The FRECCIAROSSA appears to be the non-stop between Firenze S.M. (Florence main train station) and Milan.

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Yes, whatever comes up on the Trenitalia website that suits your timetable and budget is what you should take. You may purchase your tickets in Florence either before your journey or at the station the morning of.

As far as transport to Malpensa, you may do that via train (Malpensa Express) from Milano Centrale or Cadorna stations, or by express bus: we used Malpensa Shuttle from Milano Centrale.

You will find information for both here:

milanomalpensa1.eu/en/access...

"To/From Malpensa" - Airports Tip by goodfish

Do be aware that Malpensa is a long way out of Milan: for that reason I wouldn't recommend a cab.

You will not have a hard time with your luggage as long as you don't overpack. Travel in Italy often involves being able to lift your luggage into racks above your head, up and down stairways in small stations or hotels with no lifts, in and out of trains, and dragging it some distances so the lighter, the better. :O)

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 10:16 AM

There is only one high speed train from Florence to Milan, the Frecciarossa which departs Florence on the hour.

Sadly, the two trains a day that went from Florence Santa Maria Novella all the way to the airport appear to have been discontinued...so you will have to change in Milano Centrale...well, there are other possibilities, but this will be the most common and the simplest.

In Florence, when you buy a ticket for the Frecciarossa, they will sell you the add-on for the regional train to Malpensa at the same time. SInce that ticket will be for a certain time and date, you won't have to validate it, despite what some people may tell you. When you arrive at Milano Centrale, just get off your train, go to the end of the track where there will be a large electronic sign overhead, and find your other train ("binario", although I suspect it will be half in English)...then go straight to the other track.

Note that the other train is a regional train so no seat reservations - just sit where you can.

Note that your ticket from Centrale to Malpensa will be good for any regional train on that route, so if you miss the connection (which looks to be about 10 minutes), just get on the next one (which will be no more than an hour and probably less).

In terms of luggage, the train station is large, but manageable - IF you three can carry your own luggage...if not, there is a for fee service for porter help which you need to reserve in advance...you can read about it here...since the porter knows your train, he'll meet you and carry your luggage...

Bill

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Oh, I didn't add the link for the porter...duh...trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.j...

Bill

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 10:20 AM

mccalpin wrote:
    Oh, I didn't add the link for the porter...duh...trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.j...

Bill

I may have to give you a "thumbs down" for that Bill.   LOL! 

• Re: Florence to Milan Train

by K_V_B Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 10:21 AM

There are two companies running high speed trains from Firenze to Milano:
    Trenitalia (already mentioned)m and a newcomer, Italo. www.italotreno.it
    Both leave from the same station in Firenze, but Italo runs to Milano Porta Garibaldi, not Centrale. However there are frequent trains from Porta Garibaldi to the airport too.

1 member found this helpful

by K_V_B Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 10:21 AM

There are two companies running high speed trains from Firenze to Milano:
    Trenitalia (already mentioned)m and a newcomer, Italo. www.italotreno.it
    Both leave from the same station in Firenze, but Italo runs to Milano Porta Garibaldi, not Centrale. However there are frequent trains from Porta Garibaldi to the airport too.

by goodfish Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Bill's (mccalpin's) solution is probably better than mine if you are traveling straight through to the airport from Florence. I somehow had it in my head that you might be spending a little time in Milan before flying home.

Drat the strange things that clutter up my head! :)

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I am glad that K_V_B keeps reminding us of the new private rail company...one of these days, I'll get used to the fact that there is another company in the north besides LeNord (that tourists are likely to see, anyway).

Note that there are hourly regional trains from Milano Porta Garibaldi to the airport, so Italo from Florence to Milano Porta Garibaldi then Trenitalia/LeNord (I think it's LeNord since it goes through Saronno but since they're both listed on Trenitalia now, it's hard to tell) from Garibaldi to the airport is a plausible solution.

You have other considerations...first, what are the "base" (regular) fares (I think Italo is cheaper). Second, what discounts are available? I don't know about Italo, but Trenitalia can have deep discounts IF the seats haven't sold out yet. Third, Trenitalia (at least) has a family discount fare so long as one child is under 12...note that the deep discounts are probably even cheaper, so look at Economy and Supereconomy fares first. Fourth, the porter program is associated with Frecciarossa only, so I don't know if there is any alternative at Porta Garibaldi...all things to consider...

Bill

• iccuf's Profile Photo

by iccuf Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Don't know if this would be of interest - but you can take the train right into the airport. And if you are going up the night before, Sheraton has an airport right in the terminal. How easy is that!

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 2:59 PM

iccuf wrote:
    Don't know if this would be of interest - but you can take the train right into the airport. And if you are going up the night before, Sheraton has an airport right in the terminal. How easy is that!

This is why we spent so much time above talking about rail connections through Milano Centrale and Milano Porta Garibaldi.

Or are you referring to the former service that ran the Frecciarossa all the way to Malpensa airport? That service appears to no longer run.

Bill

• muratkorman's Profile Photo

by muratkorman Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 12:51 AM

If you take Eurostar, that would be the fast option. You will reach Milano Centrale. From there, if you don't want to carry your luggage with metro connection, you can take the bus which starts from Centrale and takes you directly to Malpensa. Your other option is to take metro to Cadorna and take the express train from there, but this option does not make any sense. You can check my transportation tip for details.
    "Bus from Malpenza to Central Station" - Airports Tip by muratkorman

by mustasa Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 5:24 PM

mccalpin wrote:
    There is only one high speed train from Florence to Milan, the Frecciarossa which departs Florence on the hour.

Sadly, the two trains a day that went from Florence Santa Maria Novella all the way to the airport appear to have been discontinued...so you will have to change in Milano Centrale...well, there are other possibilities, but this will be the most common and the simplest.

In Florence, when you buy a ticket for the Frecciarossa, they will sell you the add-on for the regional train to Malpensa at the same time. SInce that ticket will be for a certain time and date, you won't have to validate it, despite what some people may tell you. When you arrive at Milano Centrale, just get off your train, go to the end of the track where there will be a large electronic sign overhead, and find your other train ("binario", although I suspect it will be half in English)...then go straight to the other track.

Note that the other train is a regional train so no seat reservations - just sit where you can.

Note that your ticket from Centrale to Malpensa will be good for any regional train on that route, so if you miss the connection (which looks to be about 10 minutes), just get on the next one (which will be no more than an hour and probably less).

In terms of luggage, the train station is large, but manageable - IF you three can carry your own luggage...if not, there is a for fee service for porter help which you need to reserve in advance...you can read about it here...since the porter knows your train, he'll meet you and carry your luggage...

Bill

I really do appreciate all you feedback!! Im overwhelmed!  Ok let me just focus on Bills suggestions:

So the train I take from the Florence Train Station is called the FRECCIAROSSA? is this correct? Im sorry im not so familiar with the train details in Italy :-)  

QUESTIONS? (1) I prefer buying my train tickets in advance rather than buying on the day itself.  Will this TRENITALIA website take my creditcard since Im buying from Asia? 

(2) Will it be cheaper for me to do the buying online now or cheaper when I get there in June?

This Porter Service is such a great info!!! Just what I was hoping they have on the train station! As i will be travelling with 2 children, having this service is a BIG relief! Thank you sooo much for this!

I can buy my FRECCIAROSSA Firenzi-Milano and Milano- Malpensa tickets all online, is this right? and still get a bargain price? Sorry If my questions seem lame, but I am clueless!!

LASTLY: how many hours from Firenze-Milano and Milano to Malpensa? So I can estimate the time before my departure from Malpensa International Airport.

Thank you so much!!

Cath

by mustasa Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Also thank you to everyone who took time to send me feedback!! I really appreciate it!!

by mustasa Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 5:33 PM

iccuf wrote:

Going straight to the airport is the best option if that still exists? as I understand, Bill (mccalpin) mentioned this might not be available anymore? If you do know of a link that will show me train servoce,  would really apprecite it! Thanks!!

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 5:38 PM

mustasa wrote:

I really do appreciate all you feedback!! Im overwhelmed!  Ok let me just focus on Bills suggestions:

So the train I take from the Florence Train Station is called the FRECCIAROSSA? is this correct? Im sorry im not so familiar with the train details in Italy :-)  

QUESTIONS? (1) I prefer buying my train tickets in advance rather than buying on the day itself.  Will this TRENITALIA website take my creditcard since Im buying from Asia? 

(2) Will it be cheaper for me to do the buying online now or cheaper when I get there in June?

This Porter Service is such a great info!!! Just what I was hoping they have on the train station! As i will be travelling with 2 children, having this service is a BIG relief! Thank you sooo much for this!

I can buy my FRECCIAROSSA Firenzi-Milano and Milano- Malpensa tickets all online, is this right? and still get a bargain price? Sorry If my questions seem lame, but I am clueless!!

LASTLY: how many hours from Firenze-Milano and Milano to Malpensa? So I can estimate the time before my departure from Malpensa International Airport.

Thank you so much!!

Cath

I will let the real experts give you answers to your other questions here, but I bought tickets on-line in the United States about 6 weeks before we used them with a credit card and printed out the tickets at home to bring along with me.  We were able to get a Super Saver fare because it was available when I bought on line.  It may or may not be available if you were to buy it in person.  My guess is that it would not be.

Don't worry about the name of the train.  That type of train I believe just the designation for a high speed train.  If you've checked out trenitalia.com you can see the name of the type of train on the website along with the times of departure, cost and how long the journey takes. 

2 members found this helpful

by mustasa Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 5:40 PM

muratkorman wrote:
    If you take Eurostar, that would be the fast option. You will reach Milano Centrale. From there, if you don't want to carry your luggage with metro connection, you can take the bus which starts from Centrale and takes you directly to Malpensa. Your other option is to take metro to Cadorna and take the express train from there, but this option does not make any sense. You can check my transportation tip for details. "Bus from Malpenza to Central Station" - Airports Tip by muratkorman

Eurostar and Frecciarossa are 2 different train companies right? are they both high speed and have confortable seats (on second class?) if they are equal, I should just choose which one will give me cheaper rates, is that right? Is the bus shuttle a better option than the regional train that will take me from Milano Central to Malpensa Airport? or will the train only take me to Malpensa and will i need another ride to the airport? if so then the shuttle will be a better service then, if this bus will take me to the airport directly!   Where do I buy the ticket for the bus shuttle?Thank you so much for the help!!

Catherine

by mustasa Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 5:46 PM

riorich55 wrote:

I will let the real experts give you answers to your other questions here, but I bought tickets on-line in the United States about 6 weeks before we used them with a credit card and printed out the tickets at home to bring along with me.  We were able to get a Super Saver fare because it was available when I bought on line.  It may or may not be available if you were to buy it in person.  My guess is that it would not be.

Don't worry about the name of the train.  That type of train I believe just the designation for a high speed train.  If you've checked out trenitalia.com you can see the name of the type of train on the website along with the times of departure, cost and how long the journey takes. 

Thank you for this! I am just intimidated by the trenitalia website! it confuses me!! You're right, it makes sense that I get a good rate if I buy in advance... I just hope they take my cc as Ive read in some thread that they only take US and Canada cc!  well I'll never know if I don't try right? :- )   

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 6:01 PM

mustasa wrote:

Thank you for this! I am just intimidated by the trenitalia website! it confuses me!! You're right, it makes sense that I get a good rate if I buy in advance... I just hope they take my cc as Ive read in some thread that they only take US and Canada cc!  well I'll never know if I don't try right? :- )   

What exactly confuses you?  Maybe I can help out.  You do need to know the stations you are traveling from.  The main one in Florence is Firenze S.M. and I believe the main one in Milan is Milano Centrale.  Bill is the real expert with the Italian trains and helped me out when my wife and I went to Italy for the first time last year.

by goodfish Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 6:03 PM

mustasa wrote:

Eurostar and Frecciarossa are 2 different train companies right? are they both high speed and have confortable seats (on second class?) if they are equal, I should just choose which one will give me cheaper rates, is that right? Is the bus shuttle a better option than the regional train that will take me from Milano Central to Malpensa Airport? or will the train only take me to Malpensa and will i need another ride to the airport? if so then the shuttle will be a better service then, if this bus will take me to the airport directly!   Where do I buy the ticket for the bus shuttle?Thank you so much for the help!!

Catherine

Catherine, Malpensa IS the airport: that is its name.  Train seats are all about the same: travel second class as first class seats are not worth the prices, IMHO.

I covered how/where to buy bus shuttle tickets in my previous link:

But Bill is saying you can purchase a rail ticket striaght through with a change to a regional train at Milano Centrale.

Bill, this regional train is or is not the Malepnsa Express? The only benefit to bus over express train is that buses stopped at both terminal 1 and 2 where the express train only goes to terminal 1. It might be good to know which one you're flying out but there are also free shuttles between the two terminals so you may easily reach the one that you need.  Some info on Malpensa:

"Winging it" - Airports Tip by goodfish

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 6:18 PM

mustasa wrote:

Thank you so much!!

Cath

1. As Rich pointed out, don't worry about the name, because the only high speed trains on Trenitalia from Florence to Milan are the Frecciarossa. The difference between Frecciarossa, Frecciabianca and Frecciargento has to do with the category of service (and the speed) - you wouldn't really notice the difference. 

2. Also as Rich noted, you SHOULD be able to buy your tickets in advance from your home country. It doesn't always work, however, for reasons that aren't too clear to any one - for example, some Americans can and some can't, and even their credit card companies can't figure out why.

Not to worry, though as the odds are not bad that there is a licensed reseller of Trenitalia tickets in your home country - see trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.j... and follow the links to Asia, then your country. This page is in Italian (although I hope you recognize the names) - give me a shout if you have trouble reading it...but do try the buy the tickets yourself first.

3. Yes, buy now (or at least as soon as you are sure of the date and time), as the cheaper tickets will be all gone (or mostly so) by the time you get here - it's just like the airlines - the cheapest tickets go weeks in advance.

4. Yes, you will be able to buy the two segments Florence to Milano and Milano to Malpensa all at once. There isn't a discount for the Milano to Malpensa segment, but that part is so cheap, it doesn't matter.

5. The solutions that call for a change at Milano Centrale take 2 hours and 38 minites, including the 10 minutes change at Milano Centrale. HOWEVER, since even in Italy, trains can run late ;-), you should give yourself lots and lots of time in case you miss the connection in Milan and have to take the next regional train...this could add up to an hour to your trip. Don't cut it too close.

6. As for the porter service, even though you may buy your ticket online now, you must remember at some point in Italy to have your concierge call the Trenitalia Call Center (it's at the link I gave above) with your ticket information so that the porter can be reserved. You need to do this at least by 8 p.m. the day before, so don't forget!

Bill

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 6:19 PM

mustasa wrote:

Going straight to the airport is the best option if that still exists? as I understand, Bill (mccalpin) mentioned this might not be available anymore? If you do know of a link that will show me train servoce,  would really apprecite it! Thanks!!

I can no longer find a through service from Florence to Malpensa, so it looks like they discontinued it...it ran only twice a day anyway...

Bill

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 6:28 PM

goodfish wrote:

Catherine, Malpensa IS the airport: that is its name.  Train seats are all about the same: travel second class as first class seats are not worth the prices, IMHO.

But Bill is saying you can purchase a rail ticket striaght through with a change to a regional train at Milano Centrale.

Bill, this regional train is or is not the Malepnsa Express? The only benefit to bus over express train is that buses stopped at both terminal 1 and 2 where the express train only goes to terminal 1. It might be good to know which one you're flying out but there are also free shuttles between the two terminals so you may easily reach the one that you need.  Some info on Malpensa:

Kate, the "Malpensa Express" was (and maybe still is) the LeNord train from Milano Cadorna station to Malpensa. Like the Leonardo Express in Rome, it's priced like first class so more expensive than the regional trains from Milano Centrale and Milano Porta Garibaldi.

Other notes for Cath - The "Eurostar" designation no longer exists in Italy - the Eurostars were converted to one or more the the Freccia* trains. All the trains we we have talking about (except one) are either Trenitalia or LeNord (which is now part of a new company called Trenitalia LeNord (TLN)), so don't worry about separate companies. The only SEPARATE company is italo (that K_V_B referred to above, with its own website. I have never taken this company, but it is one of the new private services that uses the same track as Trenitalia, so the service could be just as good or better - I just don't have any experience with it.

In either case, however, 2nd class will be fine. You will each have a reserved seat and no crowding. 1st class on the Freeccia* trains is really for businessmen on expense accounts who want a free newspaper and a free drink and other stuff you won't care about.

Bill

2 members found this helpful

by goodfish Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 6:38 PM

mccalpin wrote:

Kate, the "Malpensa Express" was (and maybe still is) the LeNord train from Milano Cadorna station to Malpensa. Like the Leonardo Express in Rome, it's priced like first class so more expensive than the regional trains from Milano Centrale and Milano Porta Garibaldi.

Bill, I figured you meant a regional train but just to mention, the Malpesna Express also operates out of Centrale as well as Cadorna. Price was about the same as the shuttle bus. 

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 7:42 PM

goodfish wrote:

Bill, I figured you meant a regional train but just to mention, the Malpesna Express also operates out of Centrale as well as Cadorna. Price was about the same as the shuttle bus. 

Yeah, I wondered about that after you mentioned it, so I went to the font of all knowledge - Wikipedia - to find the answer ;-)

"La categoria di servizio  assegnata a tutte le corse da/per Milano Cadorna è quella di treno Malpensa Express; alle corse da/per Milano Centrale è assegnata la categoria Malpensa Express se non effettuano tutte le fermate, altrimenti è assegnata la categoria di treno regionale.1"

"The category of service assigned to all routes to/from Milano Cadorna is that of the Malpensa Express, routes to/from Milano Centrale are assigned the category of Malpensa Express only if the train doesn't make all the stops, otherwise it is assigned the category of regional train."

So apparently some, but not all, trains from Centrale are called the Malpensa Express...you can tell only by looking at a solution and checking to see what kind of service there is on the segment from Centrale to Malpensa - if it's all 1st class, then it's the Mapensa Express...

Bill

by mustasa Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 9:28 PM

riorich55 wrote:

What exactly confuses you?  Maybe I can help out.  You do need to know the stations you are traveling from.  The main one in Florence is Firenze S.M. and I believe the main one in Milan is Milano Centrale.  Bill is the real expert with the Italian trains and helped me out when my wife and I went to Italy for the first time last year.

I will try again and i think will be less confused now that Ive read all your feedback.. Thanks!! 

by mustasa Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 9:31 PM

goodfish wrote:

Oh it is!! thanks you!! yaiks I feel kinda duh hahaha!! Anyway I checked our ticket and we are flyin out of terminal 1 so the train would suffice... Thanks again!!

by mustasa Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 9:35 PM

mccalpin wrote:

1. As Rich pointed out, don't worry about the name, because the only high speed trains on Trenitalia from Florence to Milan are the Frecciarossa. The difference between Frecciarossa, Frecciabianca and Frecciargento has to do with the category of service (and the speed) - you wouldn't really notice the difference. 

2. Also as Rich noted, you SHOULD be able to buy your tickets in advance from your home country. It doesn't always work, however, for reasons that aren't too clear to any one - for example, some Americans can and some can't, and even their credit card companies can't figure out why.

Not to worry, though as the odds are not bad that there is a licensed reseller of Trenitalia tickets in your home country - see trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.j... and follow the links to Asia, then your country. This page is in Italian (although I hope you recognize the names) - give me a shout if you have trouble reading it...but do try the buy the tickets yourself first.

3. Yes, buy now (or at least as soon as you are sure of the date and time), as the cheaper tickets will be all gone (or mostly so) by the time you get here - it's just like the airlines - the cheapest tickets go weeks in advance.

4. Yes, you will be able to buy the two segments Florence to Milano and Milano to Malpensa all at once. There isn't a discount for the Milano to Malpensa segment, but that part is so cheap, it doesn't matter.

5. The solutions that call for a change at Milano Centrale take 2 hours and 38 minites, including the 10 minutes change at Milano Centrale. HOWEVER, since even in Italy, trains can run late ;-), you should give yourself lots and lots of time in case you miss the connection in Milan and have to take the next regional train...this could add up to an hour to your trip. Don't cut it too close.

6. As for the porter service, even though you may buy your ticket online now, you must remember at some point in Italy to have your concierge call the Trenitalia Call Center (it's at the link I gave above) with your ticket information so that the porter can be reserved. You need to do this at least by 8 p.m. the day before, so don't forget!

Bill

Thanks so much Bill!! you are a great help!!! I will be posting another question on our Rome leg, I hope you can help me too!! I know that I should go to the Rome forum for this so I hope you can help me there too!! Thanks!

• iccuf's Profile Photo

by iccuf Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 4:55 AM

Go to www.trenitalia.com. You can check all the schedules and prices. Going to Milano airport, you will have to make your destination Malpensa Aeroporto. But if you need to head up the day before, there is a Sheraton Hotel inside the airport.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines