safety

by rbpaul Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 1:42 PM

safe areas of florence

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: safety

by davidjo Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 2:34 PM

I have been to Florence 3 times and never felt unsafe. Just take normal precautiond ad you would when you visit any new place.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 3:01 PM

rbpaul wrote:
    safe areas of florence

Florence is as safe as any large city.however, I had my handbag stolen right from under my nose while having a meal at an outdoor trattoria. There are groups of (mostly) gypsies roaming around, and they have the art of distracting you with music or conversation, and then another member of the gang does the naughty stuff. My bag was under the table, almost between my feet.  The owner of the trattoria says is a common occurence.

Fortunately my passport was not inside the bag.

I had travel insurance so could claim back euros etc that were lost.

Physical crime I imagine is not common, because there are so many travellers in Florence. The other thing to be careful about is pickpockets,

Just use normal precautions ( wear a money bag around your waist with passport and cash therein.

1 member found this helpful

• iccuf's Profile Photo

by iccuf Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 4:00 PM

We have spent several extended stays in Florence. Like lynnehamman said it is mostly the gypsies you need to be cautious of. They will get right in your face. But as far as physical harm, I have NEVER felt threatened. Do leave your passport in your room - or if you are staying in a hotel, they will most likely keep your passport for your stay. I would carry a copy in my purse or pocket. Put cash and credit cards in an inside pocket. But don't let fear concern cause you not to love this wonderful city.

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Florence is completely safe if you take the usual precautions with your valuables you would in any international city.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Agree with the above. European countries do not really have 'unsafe' areas in the way that e.g. the US does and if iffy areas do exists they are *way* off the normal tourist routes.

Florence is as safe as any other European city. The 'danger' is of pickpocketing and petty theft, nothing more. Use common sense city precautions and stay alert, especially in crowds.

Never think that a fanny-pack or trouser/jacket pocket is a safe place to keep cards, cash or valuables. Successful pickpockets are as skilled at sleight-of-hand as professional magicians: their skills are exactly the same.

Please do not assume that all 'gypsies' (actually Roma, an ethnic group) are criminals and please do not assume that you can guess a criminal by his or her appearance. You simply cannot. The vast majority of pickpockets and petty thieves look exactly the same as everyone else. If you think about it, that's part of being successful in the job!

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 6:33 AM

leics wrote:
    Agree with the above. European countries do not really have 'unsafe' areas in the way that e.g. the US does and if iffy areas do exists they are *way* off the normal tourist routes.

Florence is as safe as any other European city. The 'danger' is of pickpocketing and petty theft, nothing more. Use common sense city precautions and stay alert, especially in crowds.

Never think that a fanny-pack or trouser/jacket pocket is a safe place to keep cards, cash or valuables. Successful pickpockets are as skilled at sleight-of-hand as professional magicians: their skills are exactly the same.

Please do not assume that all 'gypsies' (actually Roma, an ethnic group) are criminals and please do not assume that you can guess a criminal by his or her appearance. You simply cannot. The vast majority of pickpockets and petty thieves look exactly the same as everyone else. If you think about it, that's part of being successful in the job!

Leics. I was not specifically referring to all Gypsies.........I was merely giving an example of what had happened to me, and what I was told by the owner of the Trattoria.

Agree that there are of course other bad types, who one would not expect to be a problem.

I wear my 'fanny pack' under my jeans or pants, and would love to see someone even try and get to it lol!

1 member found this helpful

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 7:03 AM

I just wanted to make it clear that, in Europe at least, neither ethnic heritage nor appearance automatically equate to criminal intent. The best pickpockets and petty thieves are those who do not stand out in any way.

I carry my money & cards round my waist and underneath my jeans/skirt. Like you, I know that *no-one* would even think of trying to steal them from there! :-)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines