Travel Answers
Flåm

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Is it possible to travel from Flam to Bergen by boat at the beginning of April?

by Kiyuri Online Now Mar 19, 2015 at 7:00 AM

Hoping to catch a fjord cruise from Flam to Bergen early afternoon on April 6 (on the way back from Finse, via Flam Railway). Do these boats only run starting in May, or is it possible to find one operating off season?

Thank you!

5 Answers Mar 19, 2015 at 10:51 AM
    • Flamsbana tickets in Flam

by DavidW107 Online Now Feb 1, 2015 at 12:12 PM

We are more interested in the (2hr, 15min) fjordsafari tour in the morning of June 9, 2015. If we miss the 9:30 tour and have to take the 10:55 tour - it would return by 13:10. That would seen to allow us to take the Flamsbana to Myrdal and return in plenty of time before our 18:00 'on-board' time. Our NCL Star cruise is the only ship in port that day as far as I know. Two questions:

For those with experience in Flam, the 9:30 fjordsafari seems to provide us with more than enough time to take the train tour as well - but are my assumptions that the 10:55 fjordsafari tour also allows us to comfortably complete the train trip to Myrdal and return correct?

Since we are the only cruise ship in port that day and not knowing what the weather might be or our desire to take both tours that day, I would like to wait to purchase train tickets until after we return from the fjord tour on the afternoon of June 9. Will that cause any problems?

1 Answer Feb 1, 2015 at 2:50 PM
    • heidstar's Profile Photo

Mid summers Eve

by heidstar Online Now Jan 8, 2015 at 6:49 PM

I have booked a night in Flam to break up trip to Bergen and I have just realised we will be there on the 23/6 which is midsummers Eve .
      Has anyone experienced this night in Flam before on this special night? And what should we expect besides light all night!
      Have googled it but can find many sites around Norway but not Flam..sounds amazing...

-1 Answer Jan 8, 2015 at 11:38 PM
    • heidstar's Profile Photo

Mid summers Eve

by heidstar Online Now Jan 8, 2015 at 6:44 PM

I have booked a night in Flam to break up trip to Bergen and I have just realised we will be there on the 23/6 which is midsummers Eve .
      Has anyone experienced this night in Flam before on this special night? And what should we expect besides light all night!
      Have googled it but can find many sites around Norway but not Flam..sounds amazing...

5 Answers May 22, 2015 at 5:45 AM
    • Norway in a Nutshell Bergen to Oslo direction

by ManuelLV Online Now Aug 28, 2014 at 9:46 AM

I would like to do Norway in a Nutshell from Bergen to Oslo, but in all of the tours I see the Oslo to Bergen direction only. Can I do Bergen-Voss-Gudvagen-Flam-Myrdar-Oslo? My plan is to travel in April/May 2015.
      Thanks!

5 Answers Aug 29, 2014 at 2:35 AM
    • What to do in Flam for 3 hours?

by chatterbox1962 Online Now Aug 19, 2014 at 6:14 AM

We are taking a Nutshell day tour which gets us in to Flam at 12, then we get the ferry at 15.10 - what would be the best thing to do in that time?

2 Answers Aug 19, 2014 at 10:52 PM
    • Segastein Viewpoint.

by cwattswot Online Now Aug 1, 2014 at 4:22 AM

Do any bus tours operate in September? We are cruising Norway during August & september and most tours seem to stop on the 31st of August.

1 Answer Aug 1, 2014 at 4:29 AM
    • Skjolden to Flam feasible?

by deltron2014 Online Now Jul 30, 2014 at 4:54 AM

Hi,

Our ship will be arriving in Skjolden (early August) of a morning and we're desperate to take the children to Flam, mainly for the railway. It seems to be the closest we get to Flam on our itinerary.

Can we get to Flam quicker by an express boat or something? Or land travel only - if so is this going to be tricky (bearing in mind we have children in tow?)

Any advice would be much appreciated - thanks.

2 Answers Jul 30, 2014 at 5:26 AM
    • Is this trip possible

by Barr1eS Online Now Jul 21, 2014 at 6:50 AM

We want to go from Flam to Myrdal and then on to Voss by train and can we get a bus back to Flam. We are on a cruise and have one day

3 Answers Jul 21, 2014 at 8:08 AM
    • Flam to Voss

by Effib Online Now Jul 7, 2014 at 12:35 PM

What are the public transport options from Flam to Voss
      ?

2 Answers Jul 7, 2014 at 1:45 PM
    • Bus from Flam to Myrdal

by JamesDBrown Online Now May 27, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Is there a coach from Flam to Myrdal, and how long does it take and where do we uy tickets? Thanks

2 Answers May 27, 2014 at 10:25 PM
    • B-AlRushaidi's Profile Photo

Shipping a car from Flam to the Lofoten Island

by B-AlRushaidi Online Now May 20, 2014 at 4:43 AM

hello
      I will be travelling from Oslo to flam by rented car and i want to visit the Lofoten Island (Bodo, Reine and Svolvaer) which is fart distance from Flam. My question is there any ferry or boats that i can ship the car from Flam or bergen to the Lofoten Island? please advise.

1 Answer May 20, 2014 at 5:44 AM
    • Short connections at Myrdal - safe to book?

by wiresparrow Online Now May 17, 2014 at 12:56 AM

I'll be taking the train from Bergen - Flåm in August, and have read in some (quite old) forums that the trains are super reliable and, if they are ever late, will wait for passengers connecting to the Flåm railway and/or mainline. However, NSB has a warning on their website about booking short connections. I'm wondering if the trains can be relied upon and whether it is true that they will wait in the event of a journey in either direction being delayed? The options often seem to be either 7min or 90mins between connections, and I understand there is nothing at Myrdal to occupy one's time. Many thanks in advance for your advice!

3 Answers Jun 1, 2014 at 8:14 AM
    • fasterdog's Profile Photo

Flam Accommodation

by fasterdog Online Now May 13, 2014 at 12:30 PM

I am hoping to travel from Bergen to Oslo, stopping on the way to do the Norway in a Nutshell tour. I thought a good option would be to travel from Bergen to Flam, then do the Flam-Aurlandsfiord-Naeroyfiorden-Voss Tour, return to Flam, spend the night there or nearby, and continue on to Oslo the next day. The intention of course is to spend a night in the beautiful Norwegian scenery, but without spending a fortune on the experience.

Does anyone have an suggestions on a good place to stay in the area?

And is there any other equally nice scenery anywhere else in the Bergen area?

Or any other suggestions?

4 Answers May 14, 2014 at 3:00 PM
    • touring once off the ship

by mrspeggydeves Online Now Apr 29, 2014 at 12:38 AM

we are going on a cruise from Southampton on may 9. its our first time . so don't know how to get around once we leave the ship. what is the cost of taxi . compared with take a tourist package from the boat

3 Answers Apr 29, 2014 at 8:44 AM
    • Flam to Sogndal

by vanchan Online Now Feb 28, 2014 at 7:39 AM

We are planning to go from Flam to Sogndal and the next day from Sogndal for glacier walk at Nigardsbreen around 17 or 18 Jun, What transportation can we take for these two trips? I knew from postings online that there is no ferry for Flam to Sogndal in summer. Is that right?

2 Answers Feb 28, 2014 at 6:03 PM
    • Flam Railway

by edflom Online Now Feb 25, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Do you have the schedule for the end of June, 2014. Can you reserve a seat on the Flam Railway in advance of your arrival?

2 Answers Feb 26, 2014 at 1:38 AM
    • Flam to Voss or Flam to Bergen by bus?

by dance23 Online Now Feb 21, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Hey,

Does anyone know a reliable site to check if there is any bus service from Flam to Bergen or to Voss t least. I wanted to travel from Flam to Bergen on 04.05.2014, but there are no trains due to some train engineering works.

Many thanks!

7 Answers Feb 24, 2014 at 6:36 AM
    • TheAndos's Profile Photo

Flam Railway

by TheAndos Online Now Jan 14, 2014 at 5:47 PM

We are going to Bergen in July and then taking the Express Boat to Flam and then rail to Oslo. It seems that I can book both the boat and the train separately online for a lot less than the price on the website Norway in a Nutshell. Am I missing something??!! Any advice welcome. Thanks.

5 Answers Jan 15, 2014 at 4:46 PM
    • Fjords tour in November?

by Zfs Online Now Oct 22, 2013 at 5:42 AM

I'm going to be in Oslo for a week from November 5th and would love to squeeze in a trip up to Flam to see the fjords. The only thing I'm concerned about is whether it would be a complete waste of time in November. What is visibility like in the fjords this time of year? At the moment i don't know whether to book the whole Norway in a nutshell package with the boat trip/on to Bergen/then back to Oslo on the night train, or just get the train up to Flam, explore it on foot and get the train back to Oslo that evening (by missing out the boat I can cut the cost of the trip in half so want to know if it would really be worth it. Any advise would be much appreciated!

1 Answer Oct 25, 2013 at 3:12 AM
    • Transportation to Gudvangen

by Jikke Online Now Aug 9, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Hi, We're planning our trip to Gudvangen through Flam, but heard the tunnel is closed so we have to take the boat. But the last one leaves before we arrive in Flam. Is there a taxi company we can call, or is that too expensive. Staying a night in Flam is not an option since everything is fully booked. (sat. 17 aug).

4 Answers Aug 12, 2013 at 1:56 AM
    • Flam parking

by Prestobrilli Online Now Jul 30, 2013 at 2:49 AM

Hallo, I would like to visit Flam by car but I don't know if there is a parking. I also would like to know if there is a luggage deposit in the station.
      Thank you

3 Answers Jul 30, 2013 at 5:08 PM
    • Flam, Norway

by MARIOSOL Online Now Jul 2, 2013 at 9:37 AM

What about Flam, Norway? Have been there? We are 4 brazilians plannig to take a Ferry from Flam to Gudvangen (+- 2hs) (fiords) and coming back to Flam, by bus (only 25 min).
      Also, we want to rent a car to visita around Flam, where w'll to sleep for 2 days. Any body had experience on there? Thanks answering.
      Mario Rogerio

7 Answers Jul 3, 2013 at 5:50 AM
    • Flam to Undredal

by TanyaS13 Online Now Jun 29, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Hello, we're booked on the Norway in a Nutshell and for our night in Flam we've booked an apartment in Undredal. What's the best way to get there and the cost please?
      Thank you!
      Tanya

5 Answers Jul 1, 2013 at 7:57 AM
    • FloA's Profile Photo

Flam to Gudvangen Ferry, Need to book?

by FloA Online Now Jun 25, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Hello, 2 of us are planning to do the NIN on 5 or 6 July. Should we book the ferry/boat ride in advance for this time of the year, will tickets sell out beforehand? I've checked that there are no Big Cruise Ships docking in Flam on 5-6July, does that means there should be tickets for the boat? I'm hoping we can wait till we get to Flam to buy the tickets, so that we can go a day with nice weather.

1 Answer Jun 25, 2013 at 1:09 AM
    • Flam - Gudvangen Ferry

by jdjd Online Now Jun 12, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Touring the Bergen area and plan to see some of the fjords.

Which is the more popular direction, Flam to Gudvangern or vice versa? The trip includes a bus back regardless of the direction we go.

4 Answers Jun 13, 2013 at 12:35 PM
    • Car Or Train - Oslo airport to Flam and return

by manishdk Online Now May 26, 2013 at 12:01 AM

I plan to spend 3 nights in Flam along with my parents - we are 3. I am flying in to Oslo and flying out of Oslo. I was wondering if I should take the train from Oslo airport to Flam (with 2 changes) and return, Or rent a car from Oslo airport? There is not much of a price difference. Can someone guide me on the best option I should take? I don't want to miss out on the scenic views.

2 Answers May 26, 2013 at 2:53 AM
    • Car rental in Flam

by connie_expo Online Now May 5, 2013 at 12:15 AM

We are planning to visit Flam and around this Aug., but I could'nt find any car rental information for Flam, Have I to rent cars from Voss and drive to Flam? Is there any possibility to pick and drop two cars at Flam?

4 Answers May 9, 2013 at 12:32 AM
    • Flåm-Gudvangen boat tour on Nærøyfjord - worth it?

by papillondeluxe Online Now Sep 2, 2012 at 7:32 AM

Hi we are taking the express boat from Bergen at 8am, arriving in Flam at around 13.30. We are leaving Flam the following day at 11am to go to Oslo, and we are wondering what to do in Flam that afternoon. Do you think it is worth taking the Flåm-Gudvangen boat tour on Nærøyfjord which leaves Flam at 15:00? Apparently it takes 2 hours, so we would be spending about 8 hours on a boat that day, which is a long time!

Do you think that the views from the express boat are enough to get a flavor of the fjords or is it worth taking the extra boat trip in the afternoon as well? The alternative is to spend the afternoon walking around Flam.

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

7 Answers Sep 13, 2012 at 12:19 PM
    • Where to get lunch when going on Flam railway?

by papillondeluxe Online Now Aug 25, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Hi I am taking the train on the Flam railway from Flam at 11am, arriving at Myrdal at 11.59, leaving at 12.25 on the Bergen railway arriving in Oslo at 17 36. I was wondering if there is anywhere to buy lunch at Myrdal station? If not, is there food available on the train or is it best to buy a packed lunch in Flam?

Many thanks for your advice!

8 Answers Sep 2, 2012 at 7:24 AM