Travel Answers
Flåm

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• how to get to svolvaer from evenes on thursday the 17(holiday)

Narvik Apr 12, 2014 at 12:26 PM

Hello,

we are two Italian tourists travelling to Svolvaer on Thursday the 17th in order to get our rented car at Europcar for that day.
      Unfortunately we saw, just few hours ago, on the 17th the bus lines to Svolvaer are not working on those days.
      We'll arrive at Evenes at 10:35 with the flight from Oslo, we kindly ask you how we can reach Svolvaer.

Thank you very much for your answer.

Annalisa and Francesco

more
    • How to see reindeers in Kvaloya in July

Kvaløya Apr 4, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Hi, I am going to Tromos in July and would like to visit Kavaloya to try catch a glimpse of the reindeers. Like Kezza, I won't be driving and rely on local transport /buses. What do you suggest is the best way to travel, if I take a bus, wher should I get down. Also, is theer a website for bus routes and timings.. I can't find one. Any sggestion would be helpful. Thanks.

more
    • How to arrange a hike on a glacier from various ports? How to travel from Olden to Hellesytt

Geiranger Apr 11, 2014 at 4:12 PM

We will be traveling to western Norway from May 17-May 25th.
      Our ports are Skjolden,Flam,Olden,Alesund and Stavanger.

I have booked Ferry passage to Gudvangen from Flam to see the Naeroyfjord. we will return by bus and hopefully take the Flam rail to Mydal and back to Flam

I booked a cruise through the Stavanger Archipelago into the Lysefjord.

I am wondering if I should try to go to find our way to Hellesytt so we can cruise Geiranger. is this possible from Olden? we will only be in port from 8-5

We would also like the opportunity to have a guided tour on a glacier and or kayak on a glacial lake. Perhaps from our stop in Skjolden (Nigard/Jostedal glacier) or in Olden (Briksdal Glacier) The cruise ship offers on trips to only view the glacier.

This might limit my opportunity to travel to Geiranger. Perhaps next trip? So much to see and experience.

Any suggestions.

Thanks,

more
    • Experienced advice needed

Norway Apr 5, 2014 at 9:18 AM

We are spending a couple of weeks in Scandinavia but only have a very short time in Norway at the end. We really want to experience the western fjords which means a day/night trip on NIN from Oslo and back again. My question is this: we have a choice to go as far as Voss or Bergen but we're mainly interested in seeing the fjords and the towns don't matter. I realize Bergen is far more charming than Voss but our time is so limited that if we can see the same natural wonders in Voss would it make sense to skip Bergen?

Or should we go all the way to Bergen?

more
    • Shopping outdoor wear

Rogaland Apr 5, 2014 at 1:29 AM

Where is the best place in Rogaland to buy outdoor clothing?.

more
    • Cheapest bars and pubs?

Oslo Apr 1, 2014 at 7:35 PM

I would like to know the bars and pubs with the cheapest prices? Thanks.

more
    • Jgiii's Profile Photo

Restaurants/Cafes Near Munch Museum

Oslo Mar 29, 2014 at 9:49 PM

I'll be staying near the Munch Museum. Does anyone have recommendations for good affordable places in that area? I don't mind walking! Thank you kindly!

more
    • jacobsenmarilyn's Profile Photo

larvik to sandifjord airport?

Larvik Mar 28, 2014 at 11:20 PM

What is the best way to travel from Larvik to Sandifjord Airport? I have no reservations to do that but will be in Larvik to visit where my grandparents were from in early 1900's. I speak no Norwegian but trying to learn some words before travel in mid May 2014, Advice needed please!

more
    • travelling by Bus from Kirkenes

Honningsvåg Mar 27, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Dear Sir/Madam.
      I have chosen Kirkenes as the starting point of my journey across Norway, starting from 19 May 2014. Since my intention is to enjoy the Norway scenery, the fjord and the famous midnight sun, so I will be travelling by Buses, Boat and Trains. I have booked Hotel along the way.
      The itinerary will be as follows:
      -By Bus : Kirkenes-Honnigsvag (Nordkapp)(overnight Honningsvag)-Alta-Tromso
      -by Boat : Tromso-Trondheim (Hurtigrutten, overnight on board).
      -by Train : Trondheim-Lillehammer (overnight).
      -by Bus : Lillehamer-Bergen (overnight).
      -by Train : Bergen-Oslo-end.

1. How far is Rica Arctic Hotel Kirkenes and Rica Bryggen Hotel Honningsvag from the Bus station going to/from Kirkenes and Honningsvag..
      2. How to book a seat reservation for my journey from Kirkenes-Honningsvag-Alta-Tromso.
      3. How much is the ticket fare of each leg.
      3. Do you have the time table.
      3. Do you have the email address of the relevant Bus Operator or a Tourist Agency in

Kirkenes or Honningsvag, for me to contact them.

4. Do you have the email address of the Bus Operator connecting Kirkenes-Murmansk. I will contact them to book seat reservation of my trip from Murmansk to Kirkenes.

Dear Sir/Madam, please, your help will be highly appreciated

My best regards,
      SANTOSA HARDJENDRO

more
    • Travel from Oslo to Karlstad

Oslo Region Apr 2, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Any suggestions on best way to travel from Oslo Norway to Karlstad Sweden. Bus or Train? Recommended company to use and locations of connections.

more
    • Oslo Gallerian

Oslo Apr 1, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Is Olso Gallerian a bus station?

Where is it?

more
    • bus and fare from Oslo airport to Kristiansian

Kristiansand Mar 31, 2014 at 6:17 PM

We will need a bus from the Oslo airport to Kristiansian in July. Can we buy a ticket when we arrive at the airport (12:30PM) and what will it cost?

more
    • aqazi's Profile Photo

Planning a short trip to Norway

Norway Mar 18, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Hey guys, I am a bit stumped as to how best make use of the limited time in Norway. I arrive in Oslo late on the 27th June, I plan to stay the night and leave around midday heading by train to Bergen. Probably just enough to walk around the main streets. I fly out of Bergen on the 1st July

Originally I was going to take a train direct to Bergen and then use this as a base, hiring a car to see some of the fjords a little further away. I have been reading around and is it worth breaking my my journey from Oslo to Bergen and maybe staying a night mid point? Or am I better stocking with my original plan. Also what should I try to see in my limited time?

more
    • 5 days to keep busy

Stavanger Mar 17, 2014 at 6:24 PM

Hej! My 13-year old daughter and I (53) will be at loose ends in Stavanger while my husband attends a conference. Any suggestions on how to keep a California girl interested and amused? (She is in that rebellious stage unhappy about being taken away from her friends back home) I realize Norge is quite expensive, but thought she might be awed by a trip to the arctic circle, or a fjord cruise etc. Tak.

more
    • Getting here from lofoten

Geiranger Mar 17, 2014 at 7:03 AM

Can I know which is the best way to get here from any city in Lofoten? thanks

more
    • ladysail's Profile Photo

Cost of taxi

Norway Apr 9, 2014 at 5:53 PM

We are arriving by cruise ship in Skjolden at 4pm on May 19. We would like to take a taxi from the port to the Urnes stave church. The manager of the church said that it was about 30km from the port. My question is how expensive would it be to take a taxi to the church. I ask because I've heard that everything is very expensive in Norway (compared to North America's standard) and I don't want to commit to something that may be out of my price range.

If anyone has been to the church..is it a difficult ride?

Thank you very much for any information!!

more
    • Bus travel from Kirkenes to Bodo?

Kirkenes Mar 20, 2014 at 5:10 PM

I'm trying to find out if there is any bus service from Kirkenes to Bodo? I arrive in Kirkenes by cruise ship the first week of September 2014, and would like to take a bus to Bodo, then grab a train to Bergen. (I've got three days to make the trip from Kirkenes to Bergen - I'm not even sure if this is possible?). I appreciate any help - thanks.

more
    • nattybabe's Profile Photo

Which city for a weekend away

Norway Apr 5, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Hi all,

I'm currently researching a weekend in Norway (from London) and am having trouble choosing a city and am actually a bit overwhelmed with the options available. Do you have any recommendations as to the best place to visit? I have never been to Norway and would like to see some fjords and wonder around cobblestone streets, people watch etc. I will be on my own.

I have found the "Norway in a Nutshell" tours which have confused me. They also seem full on which I don't mind but want to be as efficient as possible. Is it necessary to do this or can I base myself in Bergen or similar and skip the travel elements.

Any advice is gratefully received.

Thanks! Natalie

more
    • Glenda530's Profile Photo

Kristiansund tour

Kristiansund Apr 4, 2014 at 12:58 AM

Is it possible to do a trip ourselves without using the cruise tour which are very expensive? Also is there any shopping available in the city? Thank you

more
    • Flam to Sogndal

by vanchan Online Now Feb 28, 2014 at 7:39 AM

We are planning to go from Flam to Sogndal and the next day from Sogndal for glacier walk at Nigardsbreen around 17 or 18 Jun, What transportation can we take for these two trips? I knew from postings online that there is no ferry for Flam to Sogndal in summer. Is that right?

2 Answers Feb 28, 2014 at 6:03 PM
    • Flam Railway

by edflom Online Now Feb 25, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Do you have the schedule for the end of June, 2014. Can you reserve a seat on the Flam Railway in advance of your arrival?

2 Answers Feb 26, 2014 at 1:38 AM
    • Flam to Voss or Flam to Bergen by bus?

by dance23 Online Now Feb 21, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Hey,

Does anyone know a reliable site to check if there is any bus service from Flam to Bergen or to Voss t least. I wanted to travel from Flam to Bergen on 04.05.2014, but there are no trains due to some train engineering works.

Many thanks!

7 Answers Feb 24, 2014 at 6:36 AM
    • TheAndos's Profile Photo

Flam Railway

by TheAndos Online Now Jan 14, 2014 at 5:47 PM

We are going to Bergen in July and then taking the Express Boat to Flam and then rail to Oslo. It seems that I can book both the boat and the train separately online for a lot less than the price on the website Norway in a Nutshell. Am I missing something??!! Any advice welcome. Thanks.

5 Answers Jan 15, 2014 at 4:46 PM
    • Fjords tour in November?

by Zfs Online Now Oct 22, 2013 at 5:42 AM

I'm going to be in Oslo for a week from November 5th and would love to squeeze in a trip up to Flam to see the fjords. The only thing I'm concerned about is whether it would be a complete waste of time in November. What is visibility like in the fjords this time of year? At the moment i don't know whether to book the whole Norway in a nutshell package with the boat trip/on to Bergen/then back to Oslo on the night train, or just get the train up to Flam, explore it on foot and get the train back to Oslo that evening (by missing out the boat I can cut the cost of the trip in half so want to know if it would really be worth it. Any advise would be much appreciated!

1 Answer Oct 25, 2013 at 3:12 AM
    • Transportation to Gudvangen

by Jikke Online Now Aug 9, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Hi, We're planning our trip to Gudvangen through Flam, but heard the tunnel is closed so we have to take the boat. But the last one leaves before we arrive in Flam. Is there a taxi company we can call, or is that too expensive. Staying a night in Flam is not an option since everything is fully booked. (sat. 17 aug).

4 Answers Aug 12, 2013 at 1:56 AM
    • Flam parking

by Prestobrilli Online Now Jul 30, 2013 at 2:49 AM

Hallo, I would like to visit Flam by car but I don't know if there is a parking. I also would like to know if there is a luggage deposit in the station.
      Thank you

3 Answers Jul 30, 2013 at 5:08 PM
    • Flam, Norway

by MARIOSOL Online Now Jul 2, 2013 at 9:37 AM

What about Flam, Norway? Have been there? We are 4 brazilians plannig to take a Ferry from Flam to Gudvangen (+- 2hs) (fiords) and coming back to Flam, by bus (only 25 min).
      Also, we want to rent a car to visita around Flam, where w'll to sleep for 2 days. Any body had experience on there? Thanks answering.
      Mario Rogerio

7 Answers Jul 3, 2013 at 5:50 AM
    • Flam to Undredal

by TanyaS13 Online Now Jun 29, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Hello, we're booked on the Norway in a Nutshell and for our night in Flam we've booked an apartment in Undredal. What's the best way to get there and the cost please?
      Thank you!
      Tanya

5 Answers Jul 1, 2013 at 7:57 AM
    • FloA's Profile Photo

Flam to Gudvangen Ferry, Need to book?

by FloA Online Now Jun 25, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Hello, 2 of us are planning to do the NIN on 5 or 6 July. Should we book the ferry/boat ride in advance for this time of the year, will tickets sell out beforehand? I've checked that there are no Big Cruise Ships docking in Flam on 5-6July, does that means there should be tickets for the boat? I'm hoping we can wait till we get to Flam to buy the tickets, so that we can go a day with nice weather.

1 Answer Jun 25, 2013 at 1:09 AM
    • Flam - Gudvangen Ferry

by jdjd Online Now Jun 12, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Touring the Bergen area and plan to see some of the fjords.

Which is the more popular direction, Flam to Gudvangern or vice versa? The trip includes a bus back regardless of the direction we go.

4 Answers Jun 13, 2013 at 12:35 PM
    • Car Or Train - Oslo airport to Flam and return

by manishdk Online Now May 26, 2013 at 12:01 AM

I plan to spend 3 nights in Flam along with my parents - we are 3. I am flying in to Oslo and flying out of Oslo. I was wondering if I should take the train from Oslo airport to Flam (with 2 changes) and return, Or rent a car from Oslo airport? There is not much of a price difference. Can someone guide me on the best option I should take? I don't want to miss out on the scenic views.

2 Answers May 26, 2013 at 2:53 AM
    • Car rental in Flam

by connie_expo Online Now May 5, 2013 at 12:15 AM

We are planning to visit Flam and around this Aug., but I could'nt find any car rental information for Flam, Have I to rent cars from Voss and drive to Flam? Is there any possibility to pick and drop two cars at Flam?

4 Answers May 9, 2013 at 12:32 AM
    • Flåm-Gudvangen boat tour on Nærøyfjord - worth it?

by papillondeluxe Online Now Sep 2, 2012 at 7:32 AM

Hi we are taking the express boat from Bergen at 8am, arriving in Flam at around 13.30. We are leaving Flam the following day at 11am to go to Oslo, and we are wondering what to do in Flam that afternoon. Do you think it is worth taking the Flåm-Gudvangen boat tour on Nærøyfjord which leaves Flam at 15:00? Apparently it takes 2 hours, so we would be spending about 8 hours on a boat that day, which is a long time!

Do you think that the views from the express boat are enough to get a flavor of the fjords or is it worth taking the extra boat trip in the afternoon as well? The alternative is to spend the afternoon walking around Flam.

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

7 Answers Sep 13, 2012 at 12:19 PM
    • Where to get lunch when going on Flam railway?

by papillondeluxe Online Now Aug 25, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Hi I am taking the train on the Flam railway from Flam at 11am, arriving at Myrdal at 11.59, leaving at 12.25 on the Bergen railway arriving in Oslo at 17 36. I was wondering if there is anywhere to buy lunch at Myrdal station? If not, is there food available on the train or is it best to buy a packed lunch in Flam?

Many thanks for your advice!

8 Answers Sep 2, 2012 at 7:24 AM
    • Norway in a nutshell

by southportcruiser Online Now Apr 29, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Have decided to do Norway in a nutshell trip whilst in Flam.
      This will take us from Flam to Myrdal. We will change trains and travel to Voss.
      We will then travel by coach stopping at Tvinde Waterfall and passing the Oppheim Lake. At the valley floor the route will follow the Naeroy Riverand back to Flam.

I wondered if anyone could tell me what side of the trains or coach we should sit on to get the best view of the scenery.

I always seem to sit on the wrong side!!!!!!

Many thanks

• MariusG's Profile Photo

Boat tour end June - need to book in advance?

by MariusG Online Now Mar 17, 2012 at 2:54 AM

We are 4 people planning to take the Flåm-Gudvangen boat tour on Nærøyfjord, such as the one here: sognefjorden-as.no/fjord-tou...
      during our end June tour of Norway.
      My question is about booking: is it necessary to book such a tour in advance? The tour company obviously recommends so, but we prefer to have the flexibility of the dates and of the weather.

• trip from a cruise ship

by southportcruiser Online Now Mar 2, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Please can you help me decide which trip to take from a cruise ship in Flam.

Norway in a nutshell

Railway from Flam to Mydral
      Change trains to Voss
      Coach Tvinde Waterfall Oppheim Lake Gudvangen Naerfyord Flamm
      This includes lunch

£97

or

Flam Railway

Vanhalsen Station
      Refershments at hotel
      Back to Flam
      £62

Thanks

2 Answers Mar 6, 2012 at 12:28 AM
    • Flam railway

by mheidt Online Now Feb 11, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Is it possible to take the railway from Flam to Myrdal and then walk down as far as Vatnahalsen adn then reboard the tain there to return to Flam. If so, how far and how much time does it take to walk down from Myrdal to Flam. Is the path an easy well marked one?

4 Answers Feb 13, 2012 at 1:58 AM
    • SOGNADAL TO FLAM AND BACK IN TWO DAYS

by pvmike Online Now Jan 18, 2012 at 1:37 PM

WE ARE ON A TIGHT SCHEDULE DURING OUR AUGUST VISIT TO SCANDANAVIA BUT WANT TO SEE FLAM AND SURROUNDS. WOULD LIKE TO FLY FROM OSLO TO SOGNDAL AND GET TO FLAM EARLIEST ON DAY ONE. TOUR AREA IN BEST WAY POSSIBLE THEN GO BACK TO SOGNADAL ON DAY TWO TO CATCH FLIGHT BACK TO OSLO LEAVING SOGNADAL AROUND 18:00. HOW TO GO TO/FROM FLAM QUICKEST WAY? BEST WAY TO ENJOY FLAM/FJORDS IN TWO, HALF DAYS? HOW LONG BETWEEN SOGNADAL AND FLAM AND REVERSE, I PRESUME BUS IS BEST BUT AM WILLING TO RENT A CAR IF IT'S NOT TOO CONFUSING, OR IS THERE A FERRY THAT DOESN'T TAKE TOO LONG? THANKS, PVMIKE

2 Answers Jan 19, 2012 at 5:14 AM
    • Voss to Norheimsund to Bergen ( March 2011 )

by leesm99pikl Online Now Mar 12, 2011 at 4:24 AM

Hi ,

Would be appreciated if someone could advise whether this route is doable ?

Depart Arrive

20th Mar Sunday 07.58 09.05
      Bergen Voss ( Train )

10.00 11.00
      Voss Gudvangen ( Bus )

11.30 13.40 ( Boat )
      Gudvangen Flam

14.50 16.37
      Flam Voss ( Train )

16.50 19.55
      Voss Bergen ( Bus via Norheimsund , Skyss.no Schedule 925 Hardangerlinja )

Will it be a problem for the 16.37 Voss Train & 16.50 Bus connection time being too short ? What's the distance between the Train & Bus station ?

Thanks

1 Answer Mar 24, 2011 at 12:35 AM
    • meibert's Profile Photo

Norway in a Nutshell stop over

by meibert Online Now Jan 22, 2011 at 2:30 PM

We are planning a trip across Norway from Oslo to Bergen and plan to do the Norway in a Nutshell route. Where is a good place to stop for an overnight on the way? This trip is in February.

2 Answers Jan 25, 2011 at 2:31 AM
    • srorly's Profile Photo

Flåm to Gudvangen by boat

by srorly Online Now Dec 10, 2010 at 9:45 AM

Hi there!
      I´m expecting to travel from Oslo to Bergen by train in the first week of March 2011.
      Since it´s on the way, i´m thinking of taking a boat and do the fjord trip between Flåm and Gudvangen, and from here take a bus and/or train to Bergen.
      Does anyone knows how can i do that?
      Thanks.

4 Answers Dec 12, 2010 at 11:34 PM
    • loislois's Profile Photo

What about luggages while you are en route at the "Nutshell" ???

by loislois Online Now Aug 7, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Maybe the answer is simple "You will carry it with you"

OK but I try to understand that maybe it is very difficult to move a heavy luggage from train to Flamsbanna, then to carry with you in Flam, then over the boat, again to bus and again to the train, etc...

Seems very difficult + eliminate your will to admire the nature.

I feel it is better to go from Oslo to Bergen and the day after to take the trip without luggages.

What's your experience ?

Will be happy to have an answer.

Thank you in advance.

2 Answers Aug 8, 2010 at 2:48 AM
    • how to get to town centre from cruise port ?

by vonysc Online Now Jul 19, 2010 at 6:54 AM

Im going on a cruise next week and wanted to know how to far it is to get from the cruise port to the town centre and what means of transport are available to do so. Also need same information for Stavanger, Bergen and Aalesund, hope someone can help, vonysc.

2 Answers Jul 21, 2010 at 12:58 PM
    • btin's Profile Photo

From Copenhagen to Flam...

by btin Online Now Jul 27, 2008 at 2:15 AM

Hii there

We need some assistance here on visiting Flam. Our 1st time to northern Europe!!

We will be coming from Copenhagen to Flam....

1.In order for us to get to Flam, we have to go to Oslo first right? From Copenhagen to Oslo via overnight train or overnight ferry or via overnight bus. Which is a better option in terms of cost, etcc? How long would journey be?
      2.After we reach Oslo, how do we get to Flam?
      3.In Flam, any recommended accomodation. Our budget is NOK1000 per nite for twin sharing
      4.What are the highlights we should not miss while in Flam. We have probably 2 full days in Flam. Flam train etcc..

BTW, how would be the weather be like in Norway in Sept.. We are from the equator thus it will be cold for us i think...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks in advance...

Regards/Christine

5 Answers Aug 30, 2008 at 11:57 AM
    • Flam Train

by flagal24 Online Now Jun 3, 2008 at 7:33 AM

Will be in Flam from a cruise ship on Sat, June 14th. Is it necessary to get tickets in advance for the roundtrip? What is the cost?

3 Answers Jun 9, 2008 at 11:48 PM
    • fak119's Profile Photo

Expressboat Flam-Bergen

by fak119 Online Now Apr 5, 2008 at 6:35 AM

1) Where can I purchase/reserve Expressboat one way Flam-Bergen only? Online?

2)Alternative:

Cheepest tour Oslo-Flam (train) -Bergen(Ferry) -Oslo (in overnight sleeper)from which operator

2 Answers Apr 6, 2008 at 9:51 PM
    • MSLIV's Profile Photo

Bergen to Flam day trip?

by MSLIV Online Now Apr 1, 2008 at 12:35 PM

Hello.
      I would love to visit Flam while my cruise ship is docked in Bergen for 10 hrs.
      Arrive 7 a.m. depart 5 p.m. Is there any way that can be done? Help.
      Any suggestions so appreciated.

msliv

3 Answers Apr 1, 2008 at 3:24 PM
    • caffelatte's Profile Photo

Flam-Gudvangen or Flam-Bergen Ferry

by caffelatte Online Now Mar 19, 2008 at 4:29 PM

I will be staying in Flam in June, and then going to Bergen from there. I am trying to decide whether to take Flam-Gudvangen Ferry or Flam-Bergen Ferry. These are two choice I have:
      1. Flam-Gudvangen round trip, and leave for Bergen in Flam->Bergen ferry next day.
      2. Flam-Gudvangen round trip, and leave for Bergen in bus next day.
      My question is Is Flam-Gudvangen route worth doing when I am anyway taking Flam->Bergen ferry next day? In other words, if I take Flam-Bergen ferry and skip Flam-Gudvangen, then will I miss something in Flam-Gudvangen route? Looking at the map, Flam->Bergen route does not cover the undredal-Gudvangen route, but I am just wondering if Flam-Gudvangen route is a MUST do for some reason. Of course, it would be great to do both, but it costs quite a lot!!

8 Answers Mar 21, 2008 at 2:54 PM