Flagstaff Travel Answers

change location

August in Flagstaff

by Ktreiman Online Now Jun 10, 2012 at 6:32 PM

I will be traveling to Flagstaff in early August with my teenage daughter. I'm looking for a place to stay in Flagstaff or area that has horseback riding and swimming.

Also, how is Comfi Cottages in Flagstaff?

Other suggestions about activities that are better at that time of year, given the heat, much appreciated.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Re: August in Flagstaff

by blueskyjohn Online Now Jun 10, 2012 at 7:09 PM

For an activity, if you are into hiking and fairly good shape you may want to hike Humphreys Peak. At about 12,600 feet it will be cooler. However there can be some late day thunderstorms in August. Still a great hike.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Jun 10, 2012 at 8:41 PM

We camp in Flagstaff in August. It's at a fairly high altitude so not that hot. Hiking, riding and swimming should be fine. There have been days when I found it too cold to swim although that might depend on where you live and the weather you usually have.

• bocmaxima's Profile Photo

by bocmaxima Online Now Jun 11, 2012 at 5:26 AM

It's generally fairly pleasant in August. It can get up toward 90F, but it mostly stays in the 70's and 80's. So all outdoor activities are on: horseback riding, hiking, camping, swimming, canoeing, cycling, etc.

Haven't stayed at Comfi Cottages personally, but they're set up for extended stays, with kitchens, and are more vacation rental than hotel. Most of them are very well located and get high marks.

I don't think there is any lodging that also offers horseback riding on site. Quite a number that have pools though, of course. There are a few stables around town though where you can go horseback riding. Realize though that Arizona law is very restrictive on this sort of rental riding: horses follow a set trail at a slow pace and you're not able to deviate from that. It's one reason why you don't find this very much in the state.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines