Flagstaff Travel Answers

change location

Top sights and how to get there!

by treegirl85 Online Now Oct 11, 2006 at 1:36 PM

Hi!

Me and a friend are planning to stop in Flagstaff for a few days en route to the Grand Canyon. Does anyone have any tips for the things we shouldn't miss while we are there, and also how easy it is to get around there using public transport, as neither of us drive!

Thanks for any help!

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

RE: Top sights and how to get there!

by bocmaxima Online Now Oct 12, 2006 at 2:53 PM

When are you going?
    If you're there in the winter, the ski resort, Snowbowl, may be open. In the summer, the ski resort just runs the lift up to the second highest peak in AZ, which is a real nice site. There's no public transit up there as I understand it (a bus comes by the base though), but you could probably bum a ride off of someone if you ask around. People in Flag are incredibly friendly, provided you're non-threatening.
    Flagstaff's bus system is called the Mountain Line (get it?):
    coconino.az.gov/mountainline...
    There's also the Museum of Northern Arizona, which is nice. A bus will take you there. Flagstaff is also surrounded by National Forest land, and there are plenty of hikes that start close enough to the city that you could take a bus to the trailheads.
    Just outside of the city, there's the Lava Tubes, Lockett Meadow, Wupatki/Sunset Crater NM and Walnut Canyon NM, but I don't believe any are serviced by public transit, and Lockett Meadow is several miles off the main road.
    The main attraction in Flag though is its Downtown. You could spend quite a bit of time there.
    There are also tours that leave for Sedona, Monument Valley, the Navajo Reservation, Petrified Forest, etc, but these, of course, cost quite a bit.
    Hope that helps.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines