Flagstaff Travel Answers

change location

1988 Hotel Stay

by SimplyJoe Online Now Mar 29, 2004 at 12:10 PM

I passed through Flagstaff in 1988 on my way back from Marine Corps bootcamp. My now wife and I stopped at a hotel and I propossed to her out back along a gravel raod. I'm looking for the name of the hotel. I recall the following info about the hotel and it's surroundings. It had a dinner os some sort attached to it, or next to it. It served breakfast. It had a white rail fence along the side of the parking lot. This fence seperated the road from a gravel road. There was not much else around the property. I know it was about a 5 minute drive from the Hotel to the mall. Any ideas. Sorry I don't have much to go on. I'm pretty sure it was Flagstaff. We would of left San Diego before 10 A.M. Only stopped at a rest area or two. I know we passed the Petrified Forest and a Rest area on along I-8. Beyond that I don't recall much of the trip. That night (I think it was Flagstaff) we also visited a movie theater at the local Mall. A busy highway could be seen from the theater parking lot. Sorry I don't have much to go on, but I want to recreate as much of the trip for my wife as possible. Thanks Joe

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: 1988 Hotel Stay

by lstrebler Online Now Mar 29, 2004 at 12:55 PM

Well, I-8 isn't anywhere near Flagstaff. I-8 runs from Casa Grande, which is south of Phoenix, through Yuma and into San Diego. Flagstaff and the Petrified Forest are north, along I-40 (formerly Route 66). Maybe looking at a map would help to refresh your memory? Good luck recreating your trip! Laura

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Re: 1988 Hotel Stay

by SimplyJoe Online Now Mar 30, 2004 at 11:09 AM

Let me also state the following, as I did actually look at a map. The route was I-8 to Phoneix (I assume we took I-10 up to Phoneix from I-8), then to I-40 (which I assume we passed through Flagstaff, thus my question). I have various pieces of evidence (photos, post cards, trinkets) that show Yuma, Petrified Forest, I-8 Rest stop, Phoenix, Flagstaff and I-40). I'm assuming here that the route was I-8, I-10, I-17, I-40). Joe

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines