Fiordland National Park Travel Answers

change location
horacewayne's Profile Photo

when is the better month, november or february?...

by horacewayne Online Now Sep 12, 2004 at 3:38 PM

i want to come for an extended trip, @ 6 weeks or more. i have read that december and january are the busiest travel months for kiwis...is this true?...i want to do much backpacking, kayaking, fishing, exploring...is it better to come before or after the busy season?...any more tips appreciated...i have been in the alaskan backcountry for long tours so have experience in the bush...also, does the hut system work well...can one usually find availability for camping?... thanks

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • kiwigal_1's Profile Photo

Re: when is the better month, november or february?...

by kiwigal_1 Online Now Sep 12, 2004 at 4:05 PM

Hi there, The december-january period coincides with summer holidays (at schools and universities) in NZ. Most workers also holiday for at least two weeks from about the 19th December through to the end of the first week in January. It is the busiest time for NZ'ers to travel here. February is traditionally the best month though weather wise. Camping is a very common activity for kiwis not just backpackers. If you plan to stay in a camping ground or hut during the summer you need to book in advance. For details of bush trails/huts etc look at the Department of Conservation website: www.doc.govt.nz Cheers, Rhianon

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Fiordland National Park