Finchley Travel Answers

change location
Kap2's Profile Photo

My neighbourhood as a destination....

by Kap2 Online Now May 19, 2006 at 4:24 PM

I thought i would explore my neighbourhood as a tourist desination, not the big city that is London, but that smaller univers called Finchley, have others tried this? What do people think of my efforts?

"Finchley" - Finchley by Kap2

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • YVRDave's Profile Photo

RE: My neighbourhood as a destination....

by YVRDave Online Now May 19, 2006 at 4:44 PM

I liked them. Was Avenue House the setting for the James Joyce movie set in Notting Hill?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Kap2's Profile Photo

RE: RE: My neighbourhood as a destination....

by Kap2 Online Now May 19, 2006 at 5:12 PM

I don't know, what film to you mean? I always associate James Joyce with Dublin.... or maybe Paris....

• YVRDave's Profile Photo

by YVRDave Online Now May 19, 2006 at 5:16 PM

Ilooked it up and it was actually Kenwood House that the movie, "Notting Hill" , was filmed at.
    http://www.kenwoodhouse.com

• Kap2's Profile Photo

by Kap2 Online Now May 19, 2006 at 5:20 PM

Kenwood House is not so far.... it has an outside concert venue and a good collection of paintings...

• zuriga's Profile Photo

by zuriga Online Now May 19, 2006 at 11:54 PM

I think you've done a great job. I've tried to do the same, in a small way, about Leatherhead where I moved to from the States 2 years ago. I don't think many people visit our little town, but it's been fun exploring it and more of Surrey close by. People never realize that London is made up of so many neighborhoods. Who would have thought Finchley had so much to offer!! I stayed in North Finchley for a month and it was a good introduction to UK life.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now May 20, 2006 at 12:19 AM

I think it's an excellent idea. 'London' doesn't really exist, imo.....it grew from a collection of villages and hamlets around the 'City', and each part of it still retains its own character.

• Kap2's Profile Photo

by Kap2 Online Now May 20, 2006 at 4:08 AM

I think you're right that London swallowed a lot of villages but I like to think of London like a human body...

• Britannia2's Profile Photo

by Britannia2 Online Now May 20, 2006 at 3:34 PM

I have only passed through Finchley - have never stopped there. This proves the point I always make that wherever you go in the UK there is always something to see or do.I thought your page made good reading.

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

by Sjalen Online Now May 23, 2006 at 7:41 AM

Great page!

Yes, I too wanted to make a page about the area in Stockholm where my parents live but it doesn't exist on VT despite being big and housing one of the city airports! I've started on other Stockholm suburbs but I need more photos.
    Malmö is almost too small, although there are harbour villages around it so yes, I do little things like that.

I've also seen others doing pages about parts of Stockholm but then more as "overspill" about one particular sight when their general pages are full.

• Kap2's Profile Photo

by Kap2 Online Now May 23, 2006 at 9:53 AM

thanks for comments and encouragement.... it seems we know more about where we live and its good to share information on the non-tourist sites or smaller places that the guide books miss out...

I can say some things about Big Ben, St Paul's Cathedral, Westminster Abbey in London and similiar in other places but it seems much has already been said...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines