Fife Travel Answers

change location
TheSingingPostman's Profile Photo

Venturing Out Onto Abertay Sands, Tentsmuir (nr. Tayport/St Andrews)

by TheSingingPostman Online Now Nov 22, 2007 at 2:30 AM

I'll be visiting Fife shortly and I'd very much like to go out onto the Abertay Sands that stretch out eastwards at low tide from the northeast corner of Fife by Tentsmuir Forest. Trouble is, I can't find any info about how big a window of opportunity there is between high tides to walk out on the sands and back without getting cut off by the incoming tide (and also I don't know how long after each high tide you have to allow before the sands become accessible).

I phoned the Forest office at Tentsmuir but they were disinclined to feed me any facts, for the simple reason that plenty of jackasses go out onto the sands each year (to see the seals who haul out there) only to get cut off by the incoming tide because they haven't done their homework in advance. The office just doesn't want to give advice, because obviously they don't want to be held accountable if people follow their advice only to have things go wrong.

Does anyone reading this board know about access to the Abertay Sands? Or know anyone living round Tayport/Guardbridge/St Andrews who can feed me the facts?

Many thanks for your help.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • graememooney's Profile Photo

Re: Venturing Out Onto Abertay Sands, Tentsmuir (nr. Tayport/St Andrews)

by graememooney Online Now Nov 24, 2007 at 5:01 AM

Is this the agency you contacted?
    Scottish Natural Heritage
    Fetterdale Office
    Tentsmuir Forest
    By Tayport
    Fife DD6 9PF
    Tel: 01382 553704

and now I've been distracted by the pictures posted on a site I came across while googling about your question:
    www.tayport.org.uk

I hope this is of help.

(By the way, I used to live at West Lights, Tayport when I was wee ~ thus the distraction on that site).

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • TheSingingPostman's Profile Photo

by TheSingingPostman Online Now Nov 26, 2007 at 7:33 AM

Yes, that's the place I phoned for advice (and pretty much drew a blank).

Interested to learn you lived at West Lights. Do you know if the environs are meant to be haunted? I heard they were supposed to be. I used to go and stay with friends in Tayport about 25 years ago and have very vivid memories of the place. The eastern beach at Tentsmuir (on a sunny July evening) has got to be one of the most beautiful places I've ever been in terms of the outward prospect, the quality of the light, the beach sand and shells etc. I've always meant to go back, though I bet it's pretty bleak at this time of year.

I s'pose I could try contacting the Coastguard....but I've a feeling they'd probably be wet blankets.

by graememooney Online Now Nov 26, 2007 at 2:57 PM

Certainly the house I lived in was haunted, some of those experiences were incorporated into the novel my Mother has written (www.WestLightsTheNovel.co.uk).

• TheSingingPostman's Profile Photo

by TheSingingPostman Online Now Nov 27, 2007 at 2:24 AM

I'll check out the book website, thanks. I had a rather eerie experience on the lane behind West Lights on the very first night I visited Tayport; I felt that something very frightening was passing and repassing me and I recall a sort of murmuring sound that accompanied the sensation. Gave me the willies, it did.

Thanks for pointing me at the Tayport website. I'll try the forums and see if anyone can give advice about Abertay Sands.

by graememooney Online Now Nov 27, 2007 at 3:40 AM

Yikes! That lane that goes up the back by the old quarry and out to the main road into Tayport IS creepy, even during the day! However, we digress .... good luck with your search.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines