Fife Travel Answers

change location
hopebaldwin's Profile Photo

help with train Edinburgh area

by hopebaldwin Online Now Sep 28, 2007 at 3:43 PM

We will be homebased in Edinburgh for 5 nts(november) and are trying to figure out 2 day trips by train.
One thought would be: St. Andrews (leuchars) and perhaps beyond?? Would this train go over the Forth Railway Bridge. which I have read should not be missed...? what other city might be reached on this same day?
Second day trip: how about heading to Stirling returning via Glasgow back to Edinburgh.
Your thoughts re: time, distances, whats to see etc?? Would like to hop off, a bit of food, drink, shop and then continue on... any suggestions??

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: help with train Edinburgh area

by leics Online Now Sep 28, 2007 at 11:52 PM

Download a PDF of rail lines here:

rail.co.uk/ukrail/map/mapzon...

Click the route maps tab, then the 'National Rail Map (Schematic)' link. It opens in Adobe, so you can scale it up for readability.

Looks like Dunfermline/Kirkcaldy/Dundee etc will get you over the bridge.

'Hopping on and off' is not something UK railways really want you to do. Tickets are sold point-to-point (unless you buy a rail pass, obviously). This means you can't get off somewhere en route and then get on again with the same ticket. In main stations machines or people take your ticket as you leave anyway, although this won't necessarily happen everywhere. You'll need to buy separate tickets for each leg of your journey.

www.nationalrail.co.uk has times and fares for all trains.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • hawkhead's Profile Photo

by hawkhead Online Now Sep 29, 2007 at 10:00 AM

In November it will be dark early, so you should allow for a "shortened" day. You could take the train to Glasgow, then change for a train to Stirling - you couldn't "do" both in one day. With good connections I should imagine the travel time from Edinburgh to Stirling by train would be about two hours. Stirling Castle is easily better than Edinburgh's. A day trip to Glasgow is certainly feasible. At that time of year, I personally would stay in Edinburgh and make the most of what the city has to offer. There's certainly enough to keep you occupied there for four days.

• clivedinburgh's Profile Photo

by clivedinburgh Online Now Sep 30, 2007 at 2:34 AM

Since I'm now based in the Kingdom of Fife, I'd say that catching the bus from Edinburgh to St Andrews is a better option as you get a better view of the rail bridge from the road bridge (make sure you sit on the right hand side of the coach on your outward journey). Stagecoach have a one day flexipass that seems very good value and if you do wish to experience travelling on the train then you could always catch the train back to Edinburgh from Inverkeithing.

stagecoachbus.com/fife/Fifea...

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

by Sjalen Online Now Sep 30, 2007 at 5:22 AM

I agree that the bridge should be seen from a distance to be appreciated, whether that's from a bus or just by strolling around in South Queensferry with its pubs for a while. But it is an experience to go across the bridge too if you sit in the last carriage and look out. :)

• margaretvn's Profile Photo

by margaretvn Online Now Oct 14, 2007 at 2:14 AM

I agree with the others there is plenty to see in Edinburgh for the days youy are visiting and to try and do Stirling and Glasgow (both great cities in one day is just not really worth it. You would miss so much that is really worth seeing. It gets darker early in November so remember that if you are travelling.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines