Fes Travel Answers

change location

travel time to tangier from fez

by browneyegirls Online Now Feb 26, 2006 at 2:06 PM

Can anyone tell me how long a train takes from fez to tangier? are they frequent?

I will be in fez for a day and i am not sure whether to stay overnight there, or in tangier. Where is niceer to stay out of fez or tangier?

i will then travel on ferry to algecrias ( 2hrs), then take a 4 hr trin journey to malaga. i want to get to malaga at a reasonable hr

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • swstan's Profile Photo

RE: RE: travel time to tangier from fez

by swstan Online Now Jan 28, 2007 at 9:58 AM

Trains from Fes to Tanger take about 5:30 hours and leave at 01:50, 07:00, 09:00, 13:20, and 17:00. Schedules at oncf.ma/scripts/horaires1.as.... You'll want to leave at 9:00 if you want an afternoon ferry, which requires a connection in Sidi Kacem, but conductors are very helpful, and a lot of people will be making the connection with you. First class is well worth the small premium.

Overall, Fes is nicer than Tanger and you get more for your money. More to the point, why bother to find your way around in Tanger if you will only be here long enough to sleep? I would say: extend your Fes time so you are actually able to enjoy your day there.

If getting to Malaga at a reasonable hour is a value, you could consider taking the bus to Malaga. It only takes 1:45 hr (ctsa-portillo.com/ima/pdf/al..., and the bus station is right across from the train station (both a 10 min walk from the port).

You will usually get to Algeciras faster if you take the cheaper FRS boat to Tarifa (35 minutes plus 15 minutes to disembark and clear customs) and then the free green shuttle (keep your boat ticket!) to Algeciras. The FRS boats leave every 2 hours and never run into traffic jams at the dock since they are the only company in Tarifa.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines