Ferragudo Travel Answers

change location

Ferragudo - anyone help please?

by brianriceisnumberone Online Now Mar 27, 2008 at 5:54 AM

Hi, I couldn't find a ferragudo forum, so I thought I would try here! We're dithering about booking two weeks at Vitors Village complex in Ferragudo. We have a 2 year old son. I am trying to get my head around the location of it. Specifically, how far is to the nearest nice beach? The main beach (praia grande) looks really nice, but I can't tell if people swim there or not, with it appearing to be on the river.

Also, can anyone give me a true estimation of how long it would take to walk into the main village (square / harbour etc) from Vitors?

Many thanks in advance etc..

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Re: Ferragudo - anyone help please?

by ramblingrose Online Now Apr 5, 2008 at 4:17 PM

The main beach is very nice. There are several restaurants at the beach and beach chairs and umbrellas are available for rent. The water is a good temperature for swimming. The village is also quite nice, several restaurants, working fishing boats and an open market on the weekend (I forget if it was Saturday or Sunday - by the way if the cash machine in the square is out of money there is another one just across the canal)

According to Mappy.com Vitors Village is about 2 kilometers from the village. The route they show would take you down a very busy and unattractive road but maybe there is a back way. The beach would be another 25-35 minute walk.

We stayed at a wonderful complex closer to the beach, however the units were 3 levels so they may not be ideal for a 2 year old. Let me know if you would like the name of the complex.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by ossington Online Now Apr 11, 2008 at 4:39 AM

If you have not yet booked your holiday I would suggest that Vila Castelo would be a better bet. The houses at Vitors' Village are excellent, but it is a little further to walk to the beaches, although closer to restaurants. There is also a heated community pool at Vila Castelo.

by sarah-rackham Online Now Nov 20, 2008 at 3:01 PM

Hi,
    Just wondering if you got to Ferragudo this year, we are just in the process of looking for a holiday next year and have come across an apartment at Club Rio which is just on the beach but having looked at google earth we are a bit concerned about the fact it is based on an estury. Are the beaches safe to have young children going into the sea/play on the sand? Would appreciate your reply before we go booking the holiday if you would advise against going. Thanks.

by brianriceisnumberone Online Now Dec 23, 2008 at 3:23 AM

Hi Sarah - we did go in the end, and enjoyed it so much we're returning in 2009. Indeed the beaches are safe for kids. Just round the corner from Club Rio is Praia Grande - a big open pleasant beach, gently shelving into the sea / estuary. The water is very calm because of the sea wall etc.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Ferragudo