Farmington Hills Travel Answers

change location
alvi21's Profile Photo

Exploring Farmington Hills

by alvi21 Online Now Aug 14, 2005 at 6:31 PM

I'm visiting Farmington Hills from Aug 25-29 but won't have a car to go around the Metro Detroit area except in the evenings and over the weekend. I would like to go around Farmington Hills (or nearby suburbs, if I can take a bus there) during the day. I could not find much on the Internet about Farmington Hills. What is the public transportation like? Are there any art galleries or other places of interest? I'm interested in art, music, culture, history, and food. What is downtown like? What shopping options are there?

Any tips and/or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • tarced's Profile Photo

RE: Exploring Farmington Hills

by tarced Online Now Aug 20, 2005 at 11:22 PM

Hi,
    There is no public transportation in Farmington Hills and there is not too much to do there. As far as I know, there is no downtown to speak of. I would highly recommend that you rent a car or have someone with a car drop you off somewhere each day. There are a lot of things to do in the area, but you will need a car to get there. dtownkitty has an excellent page of tips in the Detroit area - you might want to check it out. Also, check out Cranbrook in Bloomfield Hills - there is an art museum and science center there. It depends what kind of shopping you want to do for me to tell you where to go. Downtown Birmingham has some nice boutiques and the Somerset Collection has some interesting stores and major department stores like Nordstrom and Marshall Field's; but are both somewhat expensive (of course, I love to at least window shop at both places).

I WISH there was better public transportation in the area for you and everyone else who visits, not to mention for those of us who live here. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.
    Caryn

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • GottaTry's Profile Photo

RE: Exploring Farmington Hills

by GottaTry Online Now Aug 21, 2005 at 8:46 AM

Public transit in Metro Detroit is really lame but there are SMART buses that could possibly get to you to somewhere a bit more tourist friendly. Check out http://www.smartbus.org/smart/home
    Try to get over to Birmingham, Royal Oak and of course Detroit (Institue of Arts and Historical Museum are on their routes.)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines