Famagusta Travel Answers

change location

Visiting Famagusta

by bazza1958 Online Now May 22, 2008 at 12:51 AM

Hi,

I lived in Famagusta as a child for nearly 10 years, I am taking my daughter to paphos on Holiday this July and would love to take her to Famagusta to show her where I grew up.
Does anyone know how I go about it as I am aware it's in the "No Go Area" (If that's what it's called)
I've been told you can in fact take day trips there, however I cannot find any information on how to get access?

Can anyone help

Kind Regards

Barry

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • george5b's Profile Photo

Re: Visiting Famagusta

by george5b Online Now May 22, 2008 at 12:54 AM

You can go to Famagusta with no problems. Only the Varosha area (former hotel quarter) is closed off.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by george5b Online Now May 24, 2008 at 12:13 AM

As far as I know there are no tours whatsoever to Varosha.

• chris1275's Profile Photo

by chris1275 Online Now Jun 2, 2008 at 2:49 PM

Hi,

You can easily go to the old town of Famagusta, as a day trip! Just go (by car) to the Agios Dometios crossing point, to cross over to the north part of Cyprus. Then follow the signs to "Gazimagusa" (Famagusta), which mainly involves travelling eastwards (just a long straight road) through the (dry) fields of Mesaoria. You will reach the old town of Famagusta in 30-40 minutes. The old town is beautiful, with lots to see. However, the "modern" part of Varosha, is off limits...
    Good luck!

• Re: Visiting Famagusta

by bazza1958 Online Now Jun 4, 2008 at 5:42 AM

Thanks to all of you who replied, unfortunately I do not Know what Verosha is? I just know it as Famagusta. When I lived there, there was a walled City, inside what I knew of as Famagusta, this was a Turkish settlement. I lived in a road called Oedipus Street in a flat above a Garage, and I also lived in a house in Glinka St, just up from a superb Restaurant called the Avenida. I can remember A large modern Hotel Clalled the Grecian Hotel on the Beach and the big Hotel on the far left of the beach by the rock pools was called the Constantinople.
    If anyone knows of any of these, and knows if they're in this place called Verosha, maybe they would be nice enough to let me know.

• Re: Visiting Famagusta

by bazza1958 Online Now Jun 4, 2008 at 5:43 AM

Thanks to all of you who replied, unfortunately I do not Know what Verosha is? I just know it as Famagusta. When I lived there, there was a walled City, inside what I knew of as Famagusta, this was a Turkish settlement. I lived in a road called Oedipus Street in a flat above a Garage, and I also lived in a house in Glinka St, just up from a superb Restaurant called the Avenida. I can remember A large modern Hotel Clalled the Grecian Hotel on the Beach and the big Hotel on the far left of the beach by the rock pools was called the Constantinople.
    If anyone knows of any of these, and knows if they're in this place called Verosha, maybe they would be nice enough to let me know.

by george5b Online Now Jun 4, 2008 at 8:11 AM

Varosha was the modern city, where most of Famagusta's hotels were located. Check out en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varosh... to get an idea.
    This area is a firmly closed off military zone, with no day trips whatsoever unless you are on offcial business for the UN or the Turkish military.

George

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines