Falkland Islands Travel Answers

change location
fegatti's Profile Photo

falklands!

by fegatti Online Now May 6, 2005 at 7:29 AM

hello there.

i´m planning going to falklands on nov or dec 2005, i´m a 26/m travel agent from argentina.
i´d like to know how much money you people suggest to carry, to start planning my budget, also i´d like to get in touch with people from/going to the islands. thanks.

e-mail ezequiel.gatti@visit-ar.com.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • zweiblumen's Profile Photo

RE: falklands!

by zweiblumen Online Now Jun 8, 2005 at 4:58 AM

How long do you intend on staying in the Falkland Islands? It's really difficult to answer as to how much money you should take with you because it depends on what you intend doing and for how long. One thing I think you ought to be made aware of is that there are no ATMs - Cashpoint machines in the Falklands and only one bank in the whole of the islands. Credit cards are accepted at almost all shops in Stanley and many of the lodges around the islands.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • fegatti's Profile Photo

RE: RE: falklands!

by fegatti Online Now Jun 8, 2005 at 7:08 AM

i think, at first, one week will do.
    i´d like to camp as much as possible, which are the places where i can camp, which islands? and how much it cost?
    who can i contact?
    where can i get FIGAS prices??
    thanks very much.

• zweiblumen's Profile Photo

RE: RE: falklands!

by zweiblumen Online Now Jun 8, 2005 at 2:42 PM

There are no designated campsites in the Falklands and wild camping is not allowed unless you have permission from the landowner. All land in the Falklands is owned by somebody, farms, Falkland Islands Company, Falkland Islands Government or the Ministry of Defence. Camping IS allowed but as I said you MUST get permission first, I seem to recall a couple of colleagues of mine camping in the Estancia area on East Falkland for which I assume they would have contacted the farm owner at Estancia House. The best advice I can give you is to contact the Falkland Islands Tourist Board, visit their website on www.tourism.org.fk they may be able to help you with accommodation and also give you an idea of how much it will cost. Aside from the cost of travel, accommodation and food you won't need a lot of spending money as there isn't a lot to spend your money on! FIGAS aren't cheap by the way, I think the cheapest return flights worked out at around £60-£70 if you do the usual places e.g. Stanley, Sea Lion Island, Port Howard, Saunders Island, Pebble Island you could spend a small fortune, it is however the only way to get around the islands especially if you are only planning to stay a week.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Falkland Islands Travel Answer Locations