Fairfax Travel Answers

change location

Relocation Recommendations

by drenkey Online Now Aug 6, 2004 at 8:30 PM

My husband, son, and I are planning to relocate to Northern VA within the next year (it's currently August 2004). We've heard good things about Fairfax County and would like any suggestions you have on the best schools, etc. in the area. Also, are there any towns/neighborhoods you prefer? Any suggestions you can provide would be great! Thanks!

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • seagoingJLW's Profile Photo

Re: Relocation Recommendations

by seagoingJLW Online Now Aug 7, 2004 at 5:52 AM

Fairfax County is very large. You would need to study the street maps to see how close you can relocate to your job site. Commuting is very bad here. The Fairfax County schools are mostly excellent with a few exceptions. Good neighborhoods to live in would be Reston, Vienna, McLean, Annandale, Fairfax City and Falls Church. You need to lok around yourself. Joan

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Re: Relocation Recommendations

by drenkey Online Now Aug 7, 2004 at 2:09 PM

Thank you very much for the suggestions! We'll definitely take your advice.

• delcity's Profile Photo

by delcity Online Now Aug 7, 2004 at 4:03 PM

check find your spot and see if you can limit the search to a certain state or states. ( www.findyourspot.com )

• yaya15923's Profile Photo

by yaya15923 Online Now Aug 20, 2004 at 9:43 AM

Hi there. I have lived in Northern Virginia for about five years and aside from the awful traffic, it's a nice place to live. My husband and I live in Sterling which is located in Loudoun County, but it's not that far west from the Fairfax County line. West of Sterling is Ashburn which is relatively new and once the trees mature I am sure the area will develop a bit more character. This is why I like Fairfax County, it's older, the homes are not made with a cookie cutter, well for the most part. It definitely has more personality. I do not have children but friends who do, say wonderful things about the Loudoun County school district, so you may want to check into this area as well. Also, real estate, although expensive, is cheaper than Fairfax. Not sure where you plan to work, but just to give you an idea, I work in Arlington, right outside of DC, and it takes me about 45 minutes (on a good day) to get there. Hope this helped a bit. If you have any other questions please feel free to email me. I'll try my best to answer them.

• Re: Relocation Recommendations

by Vajenny Online Now Sep 17, 2004 at 10:32 AM

Hi! I live in Clifton inside Fairfax County. I have two children and the schools in the county are great. I work in DC and it takes about an hour driving part of the way and taking the subway. If you or your husband are going to work in DC, I do not recommend Loundoun County. If you are choosing Loudoun County, I recommend South Riding over Ashburn. These two communities have done very well in terms of property value going up, but I think South Riding has done better. I highly recommend trying to stay inside Fairfax County. There are some great neighborhoods. I love where I live because I am about ten minutes from everything I need, school, Costco, shopping mall, grocery stores, movies, Home Depot, you name it, it is about ten minutes from me. The prices of the homes are not as bad as some other areas like Reston, Vienna and Herndon. Good luck.

• soccergrrl's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Relocation Recommendations

by soccergrrl Online Now Sep 17, 2004 at 10:55 AM

I've lived in N. VA for more than 30 years, so I'm happy to answer any questions you may have -- here in the forums or via email. Currently I live in Fairfax, very close to vajenny from the sound of it. I work in DC and take a bus then Metro to get here -- usually takes about 75 minutes altogether. I don't mind it because I can sleep, read, etc. on the train. Plus, I'm used to it. I didn't look to see if your page tells where you are moving from, but housing prices around here can be quite a shock for most people. The further from downtown DC you go, the more house you can buy for your money -- roughly speaking. We moved to our house a year and a half ago, and pay pretty close attention to housing prices, etc. Send me an email if you like and I'll speak frankly about costs we encountered. I'll also highly recommend the agent we worked with if you like; she grew up around this area, too and has kids in the schools here. Good luck -- this really is a great area!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines