change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• hike wonderlake

Denali National Park and Preserve Apr 11, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Hello

I want to go to wonderlake for 3 days and take a hike on the backcountry in the south, some of it has t renseingements on southern wonderlake?

thank you

more
    • exit glacir for free

Seward Apr 6, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Hi, anyone knows if can i hike to te exit glaciar for free , or i must get a guided tour?
      Thanks

more
    • Historic sites in Sitka

Sitka Apr 1, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Can you hop on and off a bus or other transportation to see the different historic sites?

more
    • Magic Bus - Christopher McCandless

Alaska Mar 31, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Hi,

My name is Gary and I'm currently looking to book an extended trip to travel across America. One of the locations I would like to visit it The 'Magic' Bus just off the Stampede Trail. When would be the safest time of year to hike out to the bus and are there also any tour guides who would accompany heading out there? I just wanted to check as I would rather not go out alone.

I would be grateful for any information you could give me.

Thanks

Gary

more
    • Flightseeing over an Alaskan glacier...which one?

Alaska Yesterday

I am going on a northbound cruise of Alaska with my wife and in-laws. We are going on the Royal Caribbean 7N Northbound Alaska & Hubbard Glacier cruise.
      It will stop at various ports along the way between Vancouver and Seward. We will fly back from Anchorage. There are many flightseeing excursions over Alaskan glaciers at the various ports during the cruise itinerary. They are of course rediculousy expensive and I will restrict/treat myself to ONLY one. I will be doing it alone or with the wife (the in-laws will not be with us for this period!). But which flightseeing excursion?

Photography is my passion...fluidr.com/photos/phil_mario...
      So I would like to be on a flightseeing excursion that is photoworthy and am ensured a window seat to shoot from, so it is best to be in a helicopter or floatplane where the wing attaches to the top of the fuselage as this doesn't obstruct the view as much as a lower placed wing would.

So the ports I can flightsee from are Ketchikan (Misty Fjords ), Icy Strait Point (Glacier Bay National Park), Juneau (helicopter over Juneau Icefield or a 5-Glacier Seaplane trip), Skagway (Chilkat Glacier system) or Anchorage (Denali/Mt. McKinley and Ruth & Kahiltna Glaciers).

I have been to Perito Moreno glacier in Argentina and will soon see various Alaskan glaciers from sea level so with this flightseeing trip I am most interested in aerial shots that best depict the glaciers as rivers of ice. Dramatic mountains are a plus.

Are there any well heeled travellers here that have been on some of these excursions and can recommend one over the others? Or know of other resourses I can use to find out?

Sincerest thanks!

more
    • seward vs homer may 9-13 2014

Seward Yesterday

plannning on kayaking, fishing, cabin camping, and glaciers would be just top it off. which has better weather, seward or homer during early may? both places look beautiful , but which has better scenery? better hikes? scenery is more important to me than wildlife. Any advice appreciated

more
    • fahad1's Profile Photo

northern lights

by fahad1 Online Now Oct 11, 2013 at 5:45 PM

can i go by myself to see the northern lights? (traveling alone)

just get a week off work, so planning to book a flight for tomorrow (12 oct 2013) if I can do all activity's by my self.
      I called 3 tours company and all of theme cant do anything before the 1st of November 2013

15 Answers Dec 4, 2013 at 1:01 AM
    • Campgrounds to see the northern lights

by tammai0911 Online Now Aug 9, 2013 at 6:23 AM

Hello there, my friends and I will be in Fairbanks for 5 days in mid-September and hoping to see the northern lights. I was wondering if anyone knows a good place to view the lights. I heard about Chena Hot spring but I was thinking more of campgrounds where we can build a campfire on our own and wait for the lights every night we're in Fairbanks. I want to keep it affordable by just driving to a campgrounds and wait for the lights each night. Please let me know of any recommendation for this. Thanks so much!

2 Answers Dec 4, 2013 at 1:26 AM
    • Luggage Storage in Fairbanks

by marygeorgecaleb Online Now Apr 6, 2013 at 5:27 PM

My husband and I will be ending a cruisetour in Fairbanks and will leave the next day for a 3-day Arctic Ocean tour. The day after our return, we will fly back home. We do not want to pay for a hotel room just to store our luggage for two days. Does anyone know of a place where we can store luggage for a reasonable price?

3 Answers Apr 6, 2013 at 9:02 PM
    • Road condition

by keiyin Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I will be in Fairbanks in the first week of April and would like to go to Chena Hot Springs. How's the road condition? Is it feasible to drive a rental car (ecnomy style) there? Thanks in advance.

1 Answer Mar 8, 2013 at 9:03 AM
    • Northern Lights

by sjyoung Online Now Jan 9, 2013 at 5:34 AM

I will be in Fairbanks in middle of February looking for the lights. I was under the impression that this year would the a high season in the cycle. Have the sightings been better this year then in the past?

2 Answers Jan 9, 2013 at 10:11 PM
    • Aurora and Ice Art Festival 2012

by wilma11 Online Now Aug 2, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Planning to stay at the Aurora Borealis Inn from 2/25-3/1. Need a place to stay near Fairbanks for the Ice Art Festival from 3/2-8. Would appreciate any recommendations (prefer small hotel or bed and breakfast.

3 Answers Feb 28, 2013 at 10:10 AM
    • CruisingGoddess's Profile Photo

Northern Lights during Labor Day?

by CruisingGoddess Online Now Apr 10, 2012 at 6:51 PM

I am disembarking a cruise in Seward on Aug. 31st and have 3 nights to spend in Alaska before heading home. I was thinking about heading up to Fairbanks for 2 nights over Labor Day weekend to try and catch the Northern Lights. But from what I've read, it sounds like my chances are "slim" of seeing them, right? Fairbanks is quite a trek from Seward so would it make more sense for me to see more of the Kenai Peninsula or go to Denali given the limited time I have?

Fairbanks sounds like a lovely place but I think I'd be really disappointed if I head up there and didn't see the Northern Lights. Maybe I should come back during the winter to increase my chances? Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

5 Answers Apr 14, 2012 at 10:08 PM
    • StayLonger's Profile Photo

Taxi Fare

by StayLonger Online Now Feb 15, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Hi all,

Heading to Fairbanks in September as part of a Princess cruise. We'll be coming in a day early and would like to eat at the Pumphouse for dinner. It looks fantastic!

Does anyone have any idea what the taxi fare from the Princess Lodge hotel to the Pumphouse would be?

Thanks!

Ryan

1 Answer Feb 15, 2012 at 8:37 PM
    • Purchasing a gift voucher from Australia

by doveagle Online Now Nov 17, 2011 at 1:00 PM

My son is living in Fairbanks and I'd like to purchase a gift voucher for a store in Fairbanks, probably a department store or men's clothing, to send rather than presents. Can anyone suggest a store that I might be able to contact & arrange a gift voucher over the net? Or even an internet gaming store. Thanks, Susan

1 Answer Dec 5, 2011 at 8:17 PM
    • guod7's Profile Photo

April trip to view Auroras

by guod7 Online Now Feb 13, 2011 at 9:31 AM

I am trying to contact Aurora Borealis Lodge but having no luck, Does anyone know if they are still open? Closed for the season or what?
      Also Chena Resort comes across as an expensive place to stay but other than the two places I've mentioned is there another good/great viewing option outside of town?
      I have also looked into renting a car and staying in town at Best Western Chena River and just driving out of town each night I'm there. I read Ester (?) Hill is a good viewing site...any others I might want to consider?
      Thanks in advance for your help.
      Doug

4 Answers Feb 16, 2011 at 12:40 PM
    • Rene48's Profile Photo

Campgrounds in Fairbanks and Anchorage

by Rene48 Online Now Aug 9, 2010 at 3:04 AM

There are several RV-Parks in Fairbanks and Anchorage. Can somebody recommend a special campground (also over all Alaska)?
      Thanks

• What to Wear?

by nrt1179 Online Now Aug 8, 2008 at 4:46 AM

I will be going to Fairbanks late February, early March of '09. I know it will be really cold. I plan to buy the proper attire needed, but I am not sure what all I will need. I have heard the temps will be -30's. Is this correct? Any suggestions on how to dress for day and night? Also, I plan to stay at Chena Hot Springs Resort to try and catch the Northern Lights. Any other suggestions of "must see's" in the area?

1 Answer Aug 9, 2008 at 12:43 AM
    • Viewing the Aurora from Fairbanks area

by bobandwinnie Online Now Jun 27, 2008 at 9:45 AM

We are planning a trip to Fairbanks to view the Aurora. This has been a long-time wish for my wife, and we want it to be memorable, if possible. We are focusing on the new moon phase in February or March next year. I have looked at the Bettles Lodge web site and was interested in any comments someone might have about that location, or others, that would give us the best viewing opportunity. We have reviewed the Fairbanks/Alaska brochures, but we would also like your first-hand opinion on events in the Fairbanks area that time of year. Should we try to visit Anchorage, for example? We are thinking about staying for ten days to two weeks.
      Thanks for your help!

2 Answers Aug 24, 2008 at 7:34 AM
    • alaskalinda47's Profile Photo

Wildfire concerns!

by alaskalinda47 Online Now Jun 25, 2007 at 6:32 AM

Am flying into Anchorage tomorrow night and was planning on heading north to Fairbanks. Am very concerned about all of the wildfires. Any advice would certainly be greatly appreciated. Thanks all. Linda

• Aviation Museum

by sericcio Online Now Apr 14, 2007 at 11:28 AM

Museum web site needs to post an actual address so you can get driving directions from mapquest. The PO Box does not help me any. Suggest to put mailing address and location of museum on web page

2 Answers Apr 15, 2007 at 8:49 PM
    • Fairbanks in Early April

by FrankieNC Online Now Feb 10, 2007 at 6:03 PM

My daughter will be in Juneau on April 1. I'm thinking of flying my wife to Fairbanks(not permanantly)and having my daughter fly from Juneau to meet her. Both have never been to Alaska before, and will have 5 days to sightsee. First, is Fairbanks best "home base" for their excursions? Second, they are not interested in "Indian" things, but "nature". My daughter is a ecological biologist. They want to see mountains and wildlife.
      Suggestions for itineraries are welcome. Any part of Denali open in April?
      Thanks for your responses.

2 Answers Feb 10, 2007 at 8:33 PM
    • weather!

by tom.and.dee Online Now Dec 19, 2006 at 7:00 AM

hey there, a friend and I are planning a visit to fairbanks, and we'll be there in summer. (actually early may to late august) how cold is it in summer?

3 Answers Dec 28, 2006 at 2:03 AM
    • macman2004uk's Profile Photo

Artic Circle Day Trips 21 June 2007

by macman2004uk Online Now Sep 4, 2006 at 11:34 AM

Hi I am in Alaska next year, but on June 21 & June 22 I will be in Fairbanks.
      I have bee looking for a tour "Artic Circle Tours" most of them leave at 06:30am arriving back at around midnight, (arriving back is not the problem) its the departure time, I am looking for something that leaves mid afternoon drive.
      OR
      Fly up and drive back, leaving mid afternoon.
      Would it be possible for to drive ourselves up and back?
      But idealy we would like a tour.
      Any help or ideas please.
      John Robert McNally
      (John Mac)
      Monday September 4, 2006
      @ 19:35 hrs GMT

2 Answers Feb 8, 2009 at 7:27 AM
    • Northern Lights

by gerrywright Online Now Jun 24, 2006 at 8:09 AM

Can the northern lights be seen in July? ..advise on how to see. Will be in Fairbanks July 15.

1 Answer Jun 25, 2006 at 6:26 PM
    • Looking for travel partners

by JoyceMayfield Online Now Jun 12, 2006 at 4:34 PM

Hi, I am based in Fairbanks for the next two months, if anyone is traveling and needs an extra person to reduce costs or just to travel with I am open to meeting you.

I am especially interested in visiting/bakcpacking in the Artic refuge and Denali. I would love to go on a fishing expedition, backpacking or any other exciting outdoor journey that you can find in AK.

• Marcos_B's Profile Photo

getting to UAF for northern lights viewing

by Marcos_B Online Now Feb 9, 2006 at 3:56 PM

Hi !

I will be arriving in Fairbanks on march 17th to try to see the northern lights. If I choose a downtown hotel, how easy is it to get to the university campus to watch the show ? Are buses available or taxis are the only way to get to it at that time ? In the case taxi is the only option what would be the approximate fare ? Do you have any suggestion of hotel/hostel within walking distance of the campus ? I thank you all in advance.

Marcos

1 Answer Feb 9, 2006 at 5:16 PM
    • Fairbanks luggage storage

by smiler_girl Online Now Feb 5, 2006 at 8:38 PM

hi

Myself and 2 friends are arriving in Fairbanks airport at lunchtime and we are staying in the Tanana Valley, so we wanted to go into town first, wander around, grab some evening dinner etc before heading out to Grandview B&B for the night. Thing is we want to store our luggage somewhere so we don't have to drag it around with us all day - I couldn't find anything at the bus depot and we didn't really want to head back out to the airport. Is there anywhere in town we can store it for about 5-6-7 hours?!?!

Has anyone got any suggestions? or will it be easier to go from airport to our B&B (they will pick us up from the airport or somewhere in town - we just got to tell them) and then get a taxi into town and back again (which doesn't bother us - just looking for the most effective way of doing this).

Thanks in advance
      Tam

3 Answers Feb 10, 2006 at 2:10 AM
    • fairbanks mid february

by kennabrew Online Now Jan 14, 2006 at 3:22 PM

opinions wanted on Ranch Motel vs Best Western. Ranch has great weekly rate but no postings on traveller's reviews...
      My desire is to see the Northern Lights. For daytime activities looks like I will take in the Gold Run sledding, an ice hockey game, U of Alaska, Ice sculpting... I haven't a clue how to drive in snow/ice/freeze so plan to make use of public transportation.
      My concept of cold is august in San Francisco, so, what might be a good idea in terms of sitting/standing around in the dead of night, looking for auroras and "being warm enough" while doing so?
      Also, considering a side-trip to the arctic... Like overnight?

1 Answer Jan 17, 2006 at 2:25 AM
    • yaaqov's Profile Photo

Low-Cost (LastMinute?) fairbanks->Barrow round trip

by yaaqov Online Now Nov 5, 2005 at 6:15 AM

I would like to find a low cost, maybe last-minute, round trip from fairbanks to Point Barrow for 1-2 days.
      Where can I find low cost, maybe last-minute, air tickets?
      (office / hut / desk, dealing with low cost /last-minute air tickets)
      where can I find it?
      Thanks!!!

4 Answers Feb 23, 2009 at 6:41 PM
    • PorkTeriyaki's Profile Photo

Housing Availability

by PorkTeriyaki Online Now Sep 8, 2005 at 2:34 PM

I see a lot of jobs available in Fairbanks (esp. in hospitals where I'd like to work). But what about housings? What are the costs & availabilities of efficiencies & 1-bdrm apts?

3 Answers Jan 23, 2006 at 1:43 AM
    • Northern Lights & accomadation

by smiler_girl Online Now Sep 6, 2005 at 12:12 AM

Hi,

Myself and 2 friends will be heading to Fairbanks March 2006 to see the Northern Lights. Yes I know it will be very cold, we are prepared for that. Hence the reason we are only staying 3 days in Fairbanks - hopefully we will get at least one nights viewing.

The question I have is whether we should go and do a night tour to see the lights, or find (from a local) the best location to see them. I am not really sure what is the best option. We wont have a car (we will be flying into Fairbanks) so we need to be able to easily get around (I guess).

Any assistance or helpful hints anyone can provide would be GREATLY appreciated.

Also I need to find a good place to stay for the 3 of us. Nice and warm - yet not 5 star hotel prices. I guess cheap as you can get but nice - we will be on a budget which we have to start saving for now.

Thanks in advance.
      Tam

4 Answers Dec 10, 2005 at 12:09 PM
    • Smoke in Area

by greybeardhokie Online Now Aug 6, 2005 at 10:26 AM

we are traveling to Faribanks next week. Where is smoke coming from?

thanks

4 Answers Aug 11, 2005 at 5:51 PM
    • Firemanjoe's Profile Photo

I want to see the northern lights!

by Firemanjoe Online Now Jun 4, 2004 at 8:58 PM

I am starting to plan a trip to Fairbanks for this winter. I want to see the aurora, and photograph them. My question is when is the best time to travel to Fairbanks for aurora watching? I'm planning a 6 day stay, what’s the odd that I will even see them? I also need some local help in finding a good place to stay. They all look good on the net, but experience has taut me that what you see in the brochures is not what you see when you get there. I would love to make a local contact, some one to show me around a little one day that I'm there. Thanks ..... Joe

8 Answers Dec 12, 2005 at 10:22 PM
    • highlights

by carolremax Online Now Apr 23, 2004 at 5:24 PM

My husband and I and our friends are going to Fairbanks in June for 5 days. Leaving on cruise for 7 days and then ending in Vancouver BC for 2 days. Can anyone give us any tips on the must see's in both of these places? What will the weather be like this time of year? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2 Answers May 1, 2004 at 12:45 AM
    • Summer Rentals/Sublets/Rooms?

by Saussygal Online Now Apr 14, 2004 at 12:01 AM

Hi, I'll be working in Fairbanks this summer (from mid-June to mid-August). Does anyone know of sublets, rentals or rooms available for that time period -- I've tried online searches through rental offices, but it's tough going. If you have any good tips, I'd love to hear them - thank you...

1 Answer Nov 5, 2005 at 2:40 PM