Fairbanks Travel Answers

change location

fairbanks mid february

by kennabrew Online Now Jan 14, 2006 at 3:22 PM

opinions wanted on Ranch Motel vs Best Western. Ranch has great weekly rate but no postings on traveller's reviews...
My desire is to see the Northern Lights. For daytime activities looks like I will take in the Gold Run sledding, an ice hockey game, U of Alaska, Ice sculpting... I haven't a clue how to drive in snow/ice/freeze so plan to make use of public transportation.
My concept of cold is august in San Francisco, so, what might be a good idea in terms of sitting/standing around in the dead of night, looking for auroras and "being warm enough" while doing so?
Also, considering a side-trip to the arctic... Like overnight?

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • MTrav's Profile Photo

RE: fairbanks mid february

by MTrav Online Now Jan 17, 2006 at 2:25 AM

February and March are very unpredictable months. It could be anywhere between -50 and +10 F.
    There should be some good aurora, & I think youll like the ice sculptures.

If you can afford it, Chena hot springs is a great place to watch the lights. Its about 70 miles from Fairbanks intl airport, and theres a shuttle for 90$ roundtrip. www.chenahotsprings.com

Otherwise, you can see the aurora from town but it helps to get away from the light pollution at city center at least a few miles. The University is a good place to watch the show.

Sorry I dont know about the Ranch motel, but the Best Western is ok. See Smilergirl 's forum posts - shes planning the same sort of trip in March.

Good luck
    Mike

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines