change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• sat1503's Profile Photo

Night out for 30-somethings

Edinburgh Yesterday

I am lookimg for recommendations for a 30-something crowd in the city center. Anyone? Thanks in advance, Mike

more
    • Lunch around Glencoe

Fort William Jun 29, 2015 at 10:51 AM

Daughter and I driving thru around lunch. we are looking for some good home style Scottish lunch. any comments appreciated.

more
    • muratkorman's Profile Photo

Loch Ness boat trip

Inverness Jun 15, 2015 at 4:08 AM

Hi,
      We will visit Inverness this weekend. We will drive from Montrose early Saturday morning and reach Inverness / Loch Ness around 10-11 am. We would like to take a boat trip. Which would be the best way to arrange our itinerary? Should I directly drive to Fort Augustus and take the boat trip or do you suggest an alternative?
      I also appreciate your boat trip suggestions.Thank you for your help.

more
    • maseru's Profile Photo

Shops in Inverness

Inverness Jun 30, 2015 at 11:20 AM

Hi there,
      I would like to know if the shops are open for groceries on Sunday.

more
    • Glasgow to Skye

Isle of Skye Jun 14, 2015 at 8:44 AM

Travelling early July from Glasgow to Skye via A82 and stopping in Glencoe overnight. Does anybody have some Must see stuff on the route?
      Thanks

more
    • best airport to come into Scotland

Scotland Jun 7, 2015 at 8:20 PM

Glasgow or Edinburgh? I will likely spend more time in Edinburgh but hear the airport has some growing pains

more
    • Highlands overnight driving trip from Edinburgh

Scotland Jun 26, 2015 at 3:55 PM

Unable to make a decision: please share (budget friendly) suggestions/tips! Rent car from Edinburgh airport and leave early first Saturday in August. Drive to Falkirk Wheel, Stirling Castle, Glencoe ...and then what? Most seem to head to Skye. We want to see the beauty and uniqueness of Scotland...should we skip Skye and go to Fort William, Loch Ness (Urquhart Castle), spend the night somewhere near Inverness or somewhere in the Cairngorms park. Make our way down the A9 and head back towards airport for car return around 4ish, then head to St. Andrews conference.

An overnight tour is not possible since they return around 7 pm and we need to take a train/bus to St. Andrews by 5. My ideal would be to drive all the way around the coast Scotland, but not enough time to do that. My one touristy pleasure would be to take the Jacobite steam train, but again! not enough time.

We are not golfers, and my husband enjoys some dram but would be more interested in salmon farming than a distillery. We would be thrilled to see some coos along the way. Many thanks!!

more
    • bendmac's Profile Photo

A bit of scrutiny requested...

Scotland Jun 3, 2015 at 2:45 PM

Greetings!

First time poster here...just recently discovered VT and we're sure glad we did!

My wife and I will be taking a three week holiday to Scotland in August of this year. (I REALLY wanted to go later to avoid the "crush" but as she's still working, she couldn't get that much time off after September...)

This will be our second trip...we went on small "guided" tour for two weeks a few years ago (driver and 8 other people, with a week in Ireland and N.I, followed by a week in Scotland). Even without our Scottish heritage, Scotland made such an impression on us that we wanted to come back and just do an "exclusive"...

So this time we decided to take the plunge and drive ourselves...I'll withhold any "what's it like to drive in Scotland" questions, as a search here brought up a wealth of information...thanks to all who gave some great advice. DID rent an automatic (rare as hen's teeth there) and have been "practising" with a friend's right-hand drive mail jeep over here...but just not QUITE the same!

Home to Seattle and then fly overnight into GLA after a stop in Reykjavik, getting there early morning. A few days in the Paisley area to get acclimated to time and driving...we drove THROUGH Glasgow last time, so we want to take some time this time to see what it has to offer.

On to Oban...single overnight there. On to Ft. William, 2 nights there...Jacobite ride up to Mallaig and back one day.

Drive to Mallaig, ferry to Skye, three nights in Portree...day trip or two north and/or west. We WERE going to go on to Inverness and use it as a base but switched that to four nights in Grantown-on-Spey instead. Planning on some day trips to Inverness (canal/Loch cruise...have to be a BIT of a tourist!), perhaps up to the Nairn/Elgin area, and south towards Aviemore/Newtonmore to explore the western edge of the Cairngorms.

On to Pitlochry for three nights, via Ballater and Balmoral. We fell in love with Pitlochry last time we visited, and sure enjoyed the theatre performance we attended.

We'll then head down to The Borders area for two nights near Galashiels. Then its up to Lasswade for three nights...public trans into Edinburgh to explore it (again!) one day and a nighttime Tattoo performance.

Edinburgh back to GLA and fly out after one last overnighter...

We were initially concerned that we were packing in TOO much, but with only a single overnighter, and the rest being two, three or four nights, we think we won't be living out of our suitcases on a regular basis. The driving doesn't bother us, as we're used to long(er) distances here in the Western U.S. Looks like the two longest legs are from Portree to Grantown-on-Spey and then Pitlochry to Galashiels...the rest appear to be quite manageable and will allow us time for stopping and smelling the...heather...

So...what say ye? Any comments or considerations? We've been through just about every guide we can find for various things to see along these various routes, but any suggestions you folks have would be greatly appreciated!

Smooth sailing and following seas...

Bendmac

more
    • Pawtuxet's Profile Photo

Does anyone know where Cold Stream, Scotland is?

Scotland Jun 23, 2015 at 7:04 AM

I have a friend searching for family in Cold Stream and he will make a trip to Scotland soon. I'd love to be able to point him to someone with insider information and local photos, tips.

more
    • recommendations anyone for a short visit?

Scotland Jun 3, 2015 at 4:39 PM

Hello! First time to Scotland. My husband and I will be attending a conference at St. Andrews and are looking for reasonable things to see/do 2 days prior and 1 day after. We fly into Edinburgh and will have all day on July 31 & Aug 1 before we have to be at St. Andrews on the evening of Aug 2nd. 4 days for conference and then 1 full day on Aug 7 before we fly out of Edinburgh on Aug 8. We are in our 50's, enjoy history, geography and not too many castles! We would consider renting a car from July 31 to Aug 2 if we can rent in Edinburgh and return at St. Andrews. We will not need the car for the 4 days in St. Andrews. Thinking it is best to save the last free day for Edinburgh. Thanks so much!

more
    • bendmac's Profile Photo

Help with some Scottish name/city pronunciations

Scotland Jun 3, 2015 at 9:59 PM

Greetings...

We're coming (back) to Scotland for a three-week holiday in August. Last visit was a two-week split Ireland/N.I./Scotland trip, but we fell in love with Scotland so much that we wanted to do a more in-depth visit this time. It surely connected with our Scottish ancestral roots (Clan Mackay in my case)...

So we know it's "Edin-burra", and Fort William, Pitlochry, Paisley and a few other places we'll be going are (or at least SEEM) pretty simple. But I can REALLY hack up things if I'm not careful...like saying "Cull-a-den" instead of Cull-odd-en"...and when we visited Castle Menzies last visit, I pronounced it just like it's spelled and got a few smiles from the locals...kind of like when I asked for a "Smithwycks" in Ireland instead of a "Smitticks"!

-Oban..."o-bawn"... "o-bin"....either with a strong 'O'? Or 'O-ban" with a strong 'a'?
      -Mallaig..."Mal-ig"..."m-log"..."m-leg/lag"?
      -Lasswade..."lass-wade"..."loz-wade", or 'lass/loz wad-e"?
      -Elgin...hard 'g', yes? "elgun" as opposed to ?el-gin"?
      -Galasheils...pronounced like its spelled? "gal-a-sheels"?
      -Uig? 'u-ig"? "whig"?
      -Guess it depends on where you're from in Scotland, but "Glaus (rhymes with 'pause')-go..."glaz-go" or "glaus/glaz-gow (rhymes with 'cow')? Same rule apply to Dryburgh and Jedburgh..."dry-burra" and "jed-burra"?

And while we're not going there...what's up with "Penicuik"?

We got educated last visit (lol...more like "schooled" by the locals after a few faux pas!) on phrases we commonly use here in the U.S. that have a completely different meaning in Scotland, so I think we're OK there.

Thanks so much in advance for any assistance...while I certainly am not going to try and fake a Scottish accent, it would be nice to not completely butcher things up!

Bendmac

more

Near Fair Isle

• Fair Isle Cemetery

by PhilPursley Online Now Jul 9, 2006 at 10:53 AM

Does anyone know how many existent cemeteries there are on Fair Isle? Has anyone surveyed the memorial stones or are there records of those who are buried? I am a descendant of some of those who left in the 1830s and would very much appreciate any information.

Thanks,

Phil Pursley

for more information on my Fair Isle ancestors check out my Home Page at
      familytreemaker.genealogy.co...

1 Answer Jul 9, 2006 at 11:19 AM
    • daarth's Profile Photo

Anybody been here?

by daarth Online Now Mar 14, 2003 at 2:56 AM

Would like to hear from any other VT'ers that have been to this fantastic Island in the Atlantic!

12 Answers Nov 27, 2004 at 6:23 PM