FYR of Macedonia Travel Answers

change location
Pijlmans's Profile Photo

Kopanki mountain hut in Pelister National Park burned down

by Pijlmans Online Now Jan 31, 2013 at 12:49 PM

The Kopanki mountain hut in Pelister National Park (near Bitola) burned down earlier this week...

This information is in Macedonian only unfortunately: vecer.com.mk/?ItemID=AB71E5D...

Does somebody know when/if it will be restored in the future?

Dennis

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • MacedonianUK's Profile Photo

Re: Kopanki mountain hut in Pelister National Park burned down

by MacedonianUK Online Now Jan 31, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Yep gone in flames few days ago and is burned to the ground. Took 8 months to redo it and update it and gone up in smoke.
    Bitola natives who use it all around the year are in dispare. The Mountaineering hut have been there for 80 yrs now.
    Any how, once the fire department concluded their investigation, the site will be cleared and new hut rebuild.
    from what I heard on the ground they are hoping that for July12th St Peters day the hut will be up and running.. The bitola Mayor actualy pledged some money and help. Will see whats will come out of itz.
    If you are interested in more info (Macedonian only) than local TV station Tera has lots coverage.
    www.tera.mk

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Pijlmans's Profile Photo

Re: Kopanki mountain hut in Pelister National Park burned down

by Pijlmans Online Now Jan 31, 2013 at 9:33 PM

I was shocked when I heard it...One of my first hikes in Macedonia was from the Kopanki mountain hut to the Pelister peak.

Actually we were planning to go hiking in Pelister this year again, just because it is such a beautiful hike.

I guess hotel Molika will be the best temporary replacement for the Kopanki hut in that part of the national park...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular FYR of Macedonia Travel Answer Locations