FYR of Macedonia Travel Answers

change location

Trash all over Ohrid / Macedonia?

by buckrodgers Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Is it true that trash and garbage strewn all over public areas seriously mars the beauty of the country?

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Pijlmans's Profile Photo

Re: Trash all over Ohrid / Macedonia?

by Pijlmans Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Yes and no....

Yes, you will find trash lying around here and there. This trash is mainly but certainly not exclusively in the form of plastic bottles. This is especially bad at parkings next to the roads. And certainly a thorn in the eye.

No, it is not "all over" and a certain public awareness seems to develop. There are many signs at the most remote places saying "it is forbidden to dump trash here". I always have to laugh about those signs, because they state the obvious...I have the feeling it becomes better and better over the years I have visited Macedonia. In addition, I spend a lot of time in the nature and mountains of Macedonia, and you'll find almost no rubbish there.

If you want to see some of the beauty of the country, have a look at my hiking page to see how great and clean the Macedonian nature is: "Hiking in Macedonia" - FYR of Macedonia Travelogue by Pijlmans">"Hiking in Macedonia" - FYR of Macedonia Travelogue by Pijlmans

Cheers,
    Dennis

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Fluffy_bunny's Profile Photo

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 5:39 AM

Agreed, near parking areas (also bus stops) it's pretty bad. But it's not like it's on par with India.

• johngayton's Profile Photo

by johngayton Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 7:33 AM

Just been flicking through my 300+ pics from Ohrid during Euromeet 2011 and not one of them, whether around the city centre or out-and-about, has any trash in it.  And I'm usually very aware of these sort of blights when travelling.

1 member found this helpful

• planxty's Profile Photo

by planxty Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I'd agree with John, I was on the same Euromeet and certainly was not aware of rubbish being a major issue that made an impression on me. The abiding impression was of great natural beauty not piles of rubbish

• MacedonianUK's Profile Photo

by MacedonianUK Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Any place where are humans there is trash/rubbish...
    In the last 10 yrs there is huge effort made to educate ppl not to trow plastic ( especially) on the roadside parking places & specially not in the countryside!
    There are special recycling containers put up all over the big cities, Ohrid, Bitola, Skopje, Shtip., Kumanovo, Strumica....now days the govermant pay for recyced plastic so in the last 3-4 yrs is really, really clean..
    I honestly dont know where you have that idea from, but we are not India, but i must admit we are not Norway eather !
    We are trying our best, and Ohrid is deffo cleaner than lets say Liege in Belguim..
    Only thing is to come and see for yourself. :)

2 members found this helpful

• haysnoe's Profile Photo

by haysnoe Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Yes, there is some here and there in various places. I don't remember (July 2012) it being an issue in any of the towns or alongside Lake Ohrid but while on the roads connecting you do see illegal dumping in places. In general, in that region we saw a lot of loose trash in many different places. Macedonia is a work in progress but trash alone would not dissuade me from re-visiting; it's a fabulous place.

1 member found this helpful

• Odiseya's Profile Photo

by Odiseya Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 4:20 PM

No, there are no public spaces with some "wild" trash in urban-ish city center zone or around popular touristic destination within country in compare to some rural "off the beaten paths" places but not so horrible to have a fear for my health. I wish you a happy trip!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular FYR of Macedonia Travel Answer Locations