Évora Travel Answers

change location
pecsihornet's Profile Photo

Dolmens from Evora

by pecsihornet Online Now Feb 24, 2007 at 11:33 AM

Hi,
Could you please let me know how I can reach the dolmens from Evora? By bike? By bus?
Thanks
Gabor

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • RE: Dolmens from Evora

by Zedevora Online Now Feb 25, 2007 at 2:33 AM

The best way is by bike or....by car. Not by bus. There no buses to dolmens. Maybe, once in Évora, you can contact Tourist agency Policarpo,(policarpo-viagens.pt/POLICAR... because I think they have a trip to Cromeleque

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • pecsihornet's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Dolmens from Evora

by pecsihornet Online Now Feb 25, 2007 at 6:53 AM

thanks, then we will choose bike, I think.
    What are your favourites places in Evora?
    Obrigado

• RE: RE: Dolmens from Evora

by Zedevora Online Now Feb 25, 2007 at 8:04 AM

All the old city of Évora - the cathedral, roman temple, the chapel of bones - I don´t like, and taste the food, for instance Restaurante 4ª feira. And around Évora, if you have time, please go to Monsaraz.
    Enjoy

• RE: RE: Dolmens from Evora

by Zedevora Online Now Feb 25, 2007 at 9:20 AM

Well, let us understand: I don't like the chapel of bones- I love Évora

• a2lopes's Profile Photo

RE: Dolmens from Evora

by a2lopes Online Now Feb 27, 2007 at 7:02 AM

there are 4 megalithic points close to Évora:
    -Almendres' Cromlech and Menhir (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almend... and
    -Dolmen / Anta do Zambujeiro (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anta_G... are the best known
    -Alto de S. Bento (hill of S. Bento, close to Évora) is a nice place because it was an old megalithic settlement (7000 years) and a good point to look around.
    Nevertheless, there are so many megalithic monuments in Évora district -mostly around Évora, Montemor and Reguengos de Monsaraz.
    (just have a look pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lista_...
    Most part of them are quite far (forget bike) and none of them are served by bus. There are some 4x4 companies making organized tours but best way is rent a car.
    In that case I shall recommend a visit to Escoural cave -not to far and is the only with cave painting (Pictographs) in the country.
    Alentejo is great and you have a bunch of other nice places to visit, Reguengos de Monsaraz, Estremoz, Vila Viçosa, and a bit far Marvão (north) or Mértola (south)

Restaurants in Évora -"O Grémio", "O Poço", and "A Muralha", are rather good and "Repas and "O Guião" have a good price/quality ratio but there are plenty of small nice places around. You will ear about "Fialho" but although the food is really good it’s to pricy

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines