Everglades National Park Travel Answers

change location

We are first time visitors from WI, should we stay at the Flamingo Lodge, Marina,out?

by rjbz28 Online Now Feb 23, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Hi,

My lover and I are flying standby to RSW (Fort Myers Airport) this friday. We are on a time budget and price budget. This is our first time traveling together. We live in the country close to Lake Pepin on the Mississippi River.

This is Jeffrey's first time to Florida and Rebecca's first time to plan a trip on a budget.

Should we stay at the Flamingo Lodge and Marina and outpost?

How much should it cost per nite?

We are so excited to get away, we are in our mid forties and healthy but not looking for dangerous adventure. Just beauty and sun and nature.

Thank you for your time.

We leave Thurs. 25th at nite or Friday AM 26th from Minneapolis ST. Paul. and stay till Monday 29th.

Kind regards,
Jeff and Rebecca from Stockholm WI

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • PR-7's Profile Photo

I wouldn't recommend staying at the Flamingo Lodge

by PR-7 Online Now Feb 23, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Trying to stay at the Flamingo Lodge would be a problem, for a simple reason: it's been closed for years due to hurrican damage. Indeed, there is NO lodging anywhere within this park other than tent camping:

www.nps.gov/ever/planyourvisit/lodging.htm

I've loved all of my four trips to Everglades National Park, so I hope you enjoy your visit as well. Take a few hours to wander around the Ahienga Trail, ask about seeing other wildlife, learn why this eco-system is absolutely vital, and enjoy seeing alligators in the wild.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: We are first time visitors from WI, should we stay at the Flamingo Lodge, Marina,out?

by rjbz28 Online Now Feb 23, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Thanks for the tips---my foder's book is from 2002---oops, pepin,WI library is a bit small----

We are so excited.

Thanks again!

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo

Re: We are first time visitors from WI, should we stay at the Flamingo Lodge, Marina,out?

by KimberlyAnn Online Now Feb 24, 2010 at 12:39 PM

As previously mentioned, the only lodging now open in the park are the campgrounds. This is the park's recommendations for people who are not campers. "Lodging is available in communities that border the park, including Homestead, Florida City, Miami, Everglades City, and Chokoloskee. Contact the local chamber of commerce or visitor information bureau for a listing of local accommodations.

Of these Florida City, and Homestead are by far the closest choices. I wouldn't even consider Miami, for a visit that will last a number of days. You also do not want Everglades City or Chokolaskee, as these only give you access to an extremely small part of the western side of the Everglades. Homestead and Florida City are very close to the main entrance of the park. Do a web search for Homestead Florida, and a number of pages with information and reviews on motels in Homestead will come up. Do the same with Everglades City, and again you will see a number of sites to check out for accommodations.

I have a number of tips on my Everglades pages that will suggest some wonderful places to walk and see alligators and wonderful birds. You can check those out at: "Everglades National Park by Kimberlyann" - Everglades National Park by KimberlyAnn

• heywinks's Profile Photo

Re: We are first time visitors from WI, should we stay at the Flamingo Lodge, Marina,out?

by heywinks Online Now Feb 25, 2010 at 5:35 PM

My husband and I stayed in Florida City a year ago when we visited the Everglades. It was just a few short miles to the entrance of the Everglades. Convenient with restaurants and the shopping outlets nearby.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Everglades National Park