Europe Travel Answers

change location
pinkybelles's Profile Photo

Cost of a meal

by pinkybelles Online Now May 17, 2013 at 3:42 AM

Just wondering on the average price of a meal in some European countries. We will be travelling to France, Italy Spain and Switzerland. I know I have not been specific with places but I have heard Switzerland can be quite pricey. We are from Perth Australia and normally when we eat out as a family (2 adults and 2 children) we pay roughly au$120(Alcoholic beverages and mains) So just want a rough figure. Thankyou

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • Re: Cost of a meal

by K_V_B Online Now May 17, 2013 at 4:03 AM

Price level between Australian and Switzerland is comparable. France, Italy and Spain are somewhat cheaper.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: Cost of a meal

by davidjo Online Now May 17, 2013 at 4:06 AM

numbeo.com/cost-of-living/co...
    This link gives you some useful information, but of course there are different types of restaurants with different price ranges , just like in your own country, but i do agree with the previous poster that meals will be cheaper in the other countries that you wish to visit.

1 member found this helpful

• margsch's Profile Photo

by margsch Online Now May 17, 2013 at 4:14 AM

I found Switzerland expensive and prices were markedly higher than in Australia. If you stay away from formal restaurants you can eat reasonably cheaply, I usually have a main meal in a department store restaurant where it is generally self service, pubs are also affordable. However a lot of restaurants in Europe have a menu posted outside so you can see the prices before going in. There is often a plate of the day which was very reasonably priced.

• pinkybelles's Profile Photo

by pinkybelles Online Now May 17, 2013 at 4:49 AM

That's great, not wanting formal restaurants as we have children. Pubs would be more suited to us, so that sounds great! Thank you

• Re: Cost of a meal

by K_V_B Online Now May 17, 2013 at 6:40 AM

Many "formal" restaurants in Switzerland will happily accomodate families with children. They even have special childrens' menus. And you should be able to feed two adults and two children for under 120,- CHF. (at the moment exchange rate is 1CHF=1AUD...). I remember from my visit to Australia last year that meat was cheaper in Australia, but that fruit and vegetables were cheaper in Switzerland. You will notice in Swiss restaurants that the meals don't tend to come with big pieces of meat...

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now May 17, 2013 at 7:48 AM

the Aus120 is roughly today 90 euros, (just doing my company yearly budget with many currencies lol!!)
    for that for a family of four you will do equally well in all those countries.
    Cheers

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now May 17, 2013 at 7:50 AM

ahh yes and children menus if small are usually provided for less price. unfortunately mines eat like me a lot lol!!! and we are five.

you will be ok.

• jacquisuiza's Profile Photo

by jacquisuiza Online Now May 17, 2013 at 7:50 AM

In a pizzeria in Switzerland you will pay about 18 CHF for a pizza prosciutto, 9 CHF for a insalata mixta. A softdrink or a beer will be about 5 CHF.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now May 18, 2013 at 2:55 PM

You'll find restaurants in all price ranges in all the countries. There will be menus posted outside the door so you can check prices and menus before entering. From what you say, I suspect you can get good meals for less than you spend at home. Even less expensive restaurants usually have good food.

Enjoy your trip.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Europe Travel Answer Locations