Europe Travel Answers

change location
DaisyWhite's Profile Photo

España,Francia, Belgica y Alemania.

by DaisyWhite Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Hi, fellows¡ I'm planning to make in 20 o 22 days the following route: Pontevedra, Santiago de Compostela, La Coruña, Santander, Santillana del Mar, Bilbao, San Sebastian, Bayonne, Toulouse, Carcasonne,Lyon, Bruselas, Brujas, Gante, Berlin, Sttutgart. ¿Is it possible in 20/22 days?? On the contrary¿What can I remove in my itinerary as it could be less important? ¿What sould I must see by all means? Thank you very much, all of you..

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • Fluffy_bunny's Profile Photo

Re: España,Francia, Belgica y Alemania.

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 3:47 PM

That's 16 cities in 20 days. That's WAY too much. 10 cities should be the absolute maximum.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 4:25 PM

You could think about doing only through Lyon (or even Carcassonne) this trip and doing the rest of the places on a future trip. With 16 places in 20-22 days, you won't see much of anything when you add in transportation time. Planning the last half for a future trip will let you look forward to it but still really enjoy your present trip.

Just a thought, but you have a lot planned and you aren't guaranteed good weather every day either.

Whatever you choose, have a good time.

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Mira mi respuesta para tu otra pregunta...creo que seria util explicar como vas a viajar entre estas ciudades y quantos dias in cada ciudad piensas de pararte...

Guillermo

• Re: España,Francia, Belgica y Alemania.

by K_V_B Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 12:19 AM

I would also suggest to be aware of what certain places are really called when planning a trip. I think I can guess where "Bruseles", "Brujas" and "Gante" are but you will not find these names in any train timetable or on any roadsign...

• Christine_D's Profile Photo

by Christine_D Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Its almost a day-trip from Stuttgart to Berlin by train (6 hours with the most expensive ticket of 130 € one way), about 650 km by car or a short flight. Why are you going to Stuttgart? If you have to time, but want to visit Germany, just go to Berlin or go to Cologne instead of Stuttgart.

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 12:22 PM

K_V_B wrote:
    I would also suggest to be aware of what certain places are really called when planning a trip. I think I can guess where "Bruseles", "Brujas" and "Gante" are but you will not find these names in any train timetable or on any roadsign...

I am a bit puzzled by this comment. "Bruseles", "Brujas" and "Gante" ARE called these names in Spanish, and the OP is from Argnetina.

Having the OP call Brugges "Brujas" is no different than calling Firenze "Florence" in English...although the name is kind of funny, since a "bruja" is a "witch" ;-)

Bill

• Re: España,Francia, Belgica y Alemania.

by K_V_B Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 9:34 AM

mccalpin wrote:

I am a bit puzzled by this comment. "Bruseles", "Brujas" and "Gante" ARE called these names in Spanish, and the OP is from Argnetina.

Having the OP call Brugges "Brujas" is no different than calling Firenze "Florence" in English...although the name is kind of funny, since a "bruja" is a "witch" ;-)

Bill

There is no town in Belgium called "Brugges". not in any language I am aware of. The locals call it "Brugge", the official French name has been abolished a while ago but is still used in some parts of the world. However using "Brujas" in an English language post is a recipe for misunderstanding. 

I always try to use the local name, so I'll always use "Firenze" and "München". Avoids confusion. If an Italian were to post here asking about information on "Monaco" he might be in fact asking about München. But how are you to know? 

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Mea culpa, yes I conflated the French and Flemish spelling of Brugge...since neither is my native language, again , mea culpa...perhaps this would be a novel way to bring peace to the warring linguistic groups of Belgium - merge their variant spellings together..."Bruges" + "Brugge" = "Brugges" ;-)

Of course, you may have missed the fact that the OP first posted this same question in Spanish.

While it is certainly more helpful to post the name of the town in the original language, there will be cases where the OP doesn't know that name of the town in the original language, so the OP logically used the name known by in the OP's native language, that is, Spanish.

Besides, the statement that "you will not find these names in any train timetable" isn't totally true...try tgv-europe.es (it recognizes "Brujas" and doesn't even try to correct you), and www.renfe.es even states that one Thalys trip is "Paris / Bruselas / Gante / Brujas / Ostende" - catching all the Belgian cities at once.

I am just trying to say that you may not have realized that the OP's native language was not English...

Bill

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Europe Travel Answer Locations