Europe Travel Answers

change location

Public transport in Faroes

by knapsack_on_my_back Online Now Feb 16, 2013 at 11:56 AM

So, I researched this trip a couple years ago and received great answers here but only made it to Iceland at that time. Now, I'm ready to plan CPH-Faroe, hopefully I'll make it this time. However, could use some help with Faroe -

Most independent packages I see online seem to be self-drive. It seems like I should be able to travel around using the bus /ferry/helicopter system. Should I count on this in early May or are they just not frequent enough that I should rent a car?

Also, last time, I planned 6-7 days, most people thought it was long. Especially since I will be travelling alone, I don't want to get too homesick :) The TI office has day tours that seem to be specific trips on specific days of the week (for e.g., Northern Esturoy on Saturdays, Northern Klasvik on Tuesdays and so on) - not sure if this is because they want enough people to set up a bus. Can I try to make it on my own to these trips using public transport on other days?

Lastly, any advice on how I can trim a day or two out of this with perhaps 4-5 days in Faroe:

DAY 1 Friday US -CPH DAY 2 Saturday CPH to Hotel; Stroget DAY 4 Sunday CPH City tour, Little Mermaid, Tivoli DAY 5 Monday Aft: Fly to Faroe; Vagar lakeside DAY 6 Tuesday, Faroe day2 Northern Islands tour, tue 7- 5:30 DAY 7 Wednesday, Faroe day3 Suduroy wed tour DAY 8 Thursday Faroe day4 Vestmanna, wed/thu/fri 8:30 - 1:30 DAY 9 Friday, faroe 5 Morn: Torshavn; Sornfelli fri, 18:00 -22:00 DAY 10 Saturday, faroe 6 Northern Esturoy tour, sat 8-15:00 DAY 11 Sunday return to cph DAY 12 Monday CPH - US

I'm spending so much customizing my trip to perfection that I am half-minded to just give up and book a package like this: faroeislands.nordicvisitor.c... - any advice?

Thanks!

Quote & Answer
0 Answers
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Europe Travel Answer Locations