Eureka Travel Answers

change location

Might be moving to Eureka

by dkfowler Online Now Jun 20, 2006 at 5:59 PM

Hi.

My wife and I are thinking about moving to Eureka, CA. We know nothing about the town and it has been very hard to find good info on it. We are in our early 30's and enjoy the outdoors (originally from Alaska). We used to live in Portland, OR and loved it there. Enjoyed the small(er) town, nightlife, bars, music scene and outdoors.

Can someone tell me a little about Eureka? Really want to get a feel for how the city is before we make a trip to visit.

Thanks

David

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • horsinround2's Profile Photo

RE: Might be moving to Eureka

by horsinround2 Online Now Jun 21, 2006 at 11:01 PM

Eureka is very small. When I was up there at school, the only nightlife to be found was centered around the college kids. Everything is pretty much closed by 10pm. It's been over 10 years since I spent a lot of time there, but I doubt things have changed that much. Don't remember much of a music scene. Lots of fishing & plenty of hiking. Lots of 'interesting' or 'unusual' people. The pulp mill makes the whole town stink and it's foggy a lot. It's very isolated - hard to get in & out of. I think that's what drove me nuts the most. To get to anywhere big or even mid-sized you have to drive for hours on crooked roads. Best of luck with your visit & decision.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: Might be moving to Eureka

by Jaybee960 Online Now Jun 29, 2006 at 11:01 PM

If you liked Portland you'll probably like Eureka as well. Its kind of dreary and quite wet. Personally, Eureka is a depressing place. The economy is lousy, with no relief in sight. The place is truly isolated and has a disproportionate share of 45-60 year old hippies who seem to dominate the political scene.

What it does have is a gorgeous coastal location and of course the redwoods and cool weather during the summer. Anyway, visit and see what you think. I occasionally visit to escape interior CA heat during the summer, but wouldn't live there.

1 member found this helpful

• Whiskeyguy's Profile Photo

Re: Might be moving to Eureka

by Whiskeyguy Online Now May 27, 2009 at 6:34 PM

Eureka and much of Humboldt county is kind of a mixing pot of people. Eureka has gone down hill a little in the last ten years... with the loss of legitimate work much of the county depends on marijuana sales. This has led to other drug use and more poverty... especially in Eureka which is the largest town in Humboldt county. However, there are also a lot of good people around Eureka and it has its advantages. There is a lot of outdoor recreation available. With the redwood forests and surrounding mountains butting up to the Pacific ocean, you get a pretty unique atmosphere. Within 1-2 hours you can find a wide arrange of recreation. The music and nightlife scenes aren't much... but there are plenty of bars. Expect a lot of rain. Some areas of Humboldt county get 80 inches of rain a year, and the redwood forests are actually considered rainforests.

• Re: Might be moving to Eureka

by ittybittykitty Online Now Aug 8, 2013 at 3:26 PM

From someone who grew up in the area I can tell you that you have some good honest answers. I no longer live in the area. The beauty isn't enough to get be to ever move back permanently.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines