I've been country for 4 months now and could really use a good American football game! Plus, my Broncos play the Chiefs tomorrow at 9pm local time. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Hi, i'm going in Dire dawa for work. Does somebody have any guidelines about life in Dire dawa? Is it safe, what are things that i have to be carefull about? Tnx
I was told that I shouldn't take my camera with me since it might be stolen. I am a woman and love to discover everything on my own. So do I have to be afraid?
Can you please recommend a car hire company? I keep getting quotes for car hire + driver, and I would like to do a self-drive to the Omo valley.
hi....i am from India...can anyone tell me how to send the birthday gift to my husband ,who is staying in Aksum
We are going to be spending a few days and will have a chance to poke around Addis Ababa for a few days before we head out to explore other parts of Ethiopia.
As avid photographers, we are looking for interesting places for street photography as well as shooting cityscapes. The mercato looks to be a great place to see and photograph people. Any other suggestions and general tips would be appreciated.
i want to see my ethopian boyfriend in addid ababa is it safe to go?
What hairdryer will work in the suburbs of Addis? What electrical requirements? Friends who've been say they haven't been successful with any combination.
I received 2 days confirmation notice to go to Ethiopia (Addis Ababa) on business trip. I am taking the place of a someone who could not go. My stay is only 3 days. I leave in 2 days, should I make a rush appointment for immunization or does the short time there reduces my chance? . I read that immunization shots should be done 2-6 weeks before the trip. So wouldn't it be ineffective any way if I do? Please advise. Thank you
FYI- I will be a major hotel, and will only eat the food provided there and at the business event.
I want to go around Ethiopia & I want to do it with a group.. I was wondering if i could find a very good tour operator in Ethiopia which do tours trips for groups?
I'm transitting through Ethiopia for a work trip at the end of September and decided to take a week vacation in Ethiopia. I'm lookin for suggestions on what to do. Here is my current itinerary:
-Sep 25: arrive in Addis from Juba
-Sep 26: meet with some friends who live in Addis but are only in town thru 27th. They have a business that I am interested in seeing. I anticipate seeing their business during the day, and checking out Addis in the evening.
-Sep 27: meet with friends who live in Addis but are only in town thru 27th. Will probably spend day seeing their business, and checking out Addis in the evening.
-Sep 28: morning flight to Lalibela, touring churches
-Sep 29: Morning hike to monastery above Lalibela? Drive to Axum?
-Sep 30: Spend day in Axum
-Oct: depart Addis at 10:15pm
A few questions:
1) I hear that there's a great monastery to hike to in Lalibela that is not a part of the 11 churches. I was thinking of doing this the day after touring the churches. If I did this though, I'd miss the flight to Axum that day. I could stay an extra night in Lalibela, or could I take some public transport to Axum in the afternoon?
2) how much time do I want to spend in Axum
3) how easy is it to travel from Axum to either Lake Tana or Bahar Dar? If I added one of them to the itinerary, what should I add?
4) Should I go from Axum to Tigray? How easy is that?
5) it seems that Meskel holiday will be in Lalibela September 27. Is this correct? Will it be hard to find a hotel? Also, I was planning on arriving in Lalibela on Sep 28 so I could spend time visiting my friends and their business in Addis on Sep 27. Should I ditch that to see Meskel holiday? Is it a once in a lifetime experience?
6) There's a developing possibility that my work will ask me to stay in Ethiopia for a meeting in Addis October 8, which would give me more time in the country. If this happens, what do you recommend I add to my itinerary?
Could any body guide the names of good travel agencies with whom I can take a tour of ethiopia for 5-6 days package.
Thanks in advance.
I have been visiting Turmi in the Omo Valley for several years a couple of times a year for about 3 months each visit. This fall I am returning for 5 months this time. Many people in Turmi have suggested that I build a simple mud house in Turmi so that I don't have to use a hotel each time. My true wish is to live in Turmi 11 months out of the year. How does one go about getting a small parcel of land to build on. A simple mud house like every one else uses is sufficient for my needs. I just need a place that can be locked when I am away. A woman in Turmi already refers to me as her husband! I don't know how that happened but, oh well. Marriage out in the bush like this seems to have a very different connotation than it does in the rest of the world. I guess that I will cross that bridge when I get to it!
On a similar note, people in two of the Hamar villages close to Turmi, Kaina and Gabo, have suggested that I ALSO build a traditional home in one of their villages. Both villages have even offered to supply a bride for me!! I hope that some of you have information about the legality of a ferengi having a traditional Hamar home in a Hamar village.
I've noticed t hat it's raining a lot in Addis during June when I will be there for eight days. I was wondering what people would recommend I take to wear. We will not be site-seeing and be only in Addis. However, we will most likely be walking. Many roads are not paved so I also wanted to know if I should take boots. I'm a nearly 60 year old woman.
I am planning to backpack in Ethiopia sometime this November with my fiance. Please give me any details that would help me. Expenses. Food. Warnings. Places to visit. How many days would be required to cover several places of interest in Ethiopia. Do I need to take the help of a local travel agency. Last year we backpacked through central and Southern Sri Lanka for 11 days without the help of any travel agency. Is this possible in Ethiopia? Please give me some information on the above and any additional information would be really helpful.
A friend and I are planning a short break in Ethiopia from the 24-27 of January, and we plan to do a day each in Gonder and Lalibela, and a day in half in total in Addis Ababa.
We will be arriving in Addis on 24 Jan at 0655, spending the day sightseeing, We then plan to fly to Lalibela the next morning, arriving Lalibela 0840, with the whole day to see the rock-hewn churches. We fly to Gonder on 26 Jan, arriving at 1245, with the afternoon to visit the Castle complex. We will also have the morning of 27 Jan for sightseeing, as our flight back to Addis is not till 1315 that afternoon. We will reach Addis at 1420, and have about 5-6 hours to spend in Addis before our flight back to Kuwait at 2200 that night.
Our flight schedule looks like this:
24 Jan Kuwait- Addis Dep 0245 Arr 0655
25 Jan Addis - Lalibela Dep 0740 Arr 0840
26 Jan Lalibela - Gonder Dep 1050 Arr 1245
27 Jan Gonder - Addis Dep 1315 Arr 1420
27 Jan Addis - Kuwait Dep 2200 Arr 0145
I was hoping to get information / feedback on the following:
1. We’ve heard good things about Addis Regency Hotel, but considering our flight schedule, would it make more sense to find a hotel on Bole Road? If so, can someone recommend a good mid-range hotel on Bole Road?
2. Having read a lot of questions on forums, we understand that booking internal flights at Ethiopian Airlines offices in Ethiopia would be a lot cheaper than booking them online. We were wondering if it would be wise to try and book our internal flights the day before we’re scheduled to travel, particularly as January seems to be the high tourist season in Ethiopia?
3. We plan to stay at the Seven Olives in Lalibela and the Fogera Hotel in Gonder. Do you agree with our choice, or could you recommend a better hotel, in a good location, for better value.
4. Could someone recommend a good guide in Addis for the day to show us around the sights? We’re thinking this would help us save time instead of trying to figure it out ourselves, as well as keep us away from neighbourhoods or people that we would want to avoid. Approximately how much would a guide cost us for the day?
5. Should we arrange a guide in advance for Gonder and Lalibela, or will we be able to find one through the hotel, or even at the sight itself?
6. If we do manage to see the National Museum, Mercato Market, Holy Trinity Church and the other sights in Addis on our first full day there, what would you recommend we do for the 5 hours we would have on 27 Jan, while we wait around to catch our flight back home?
Apologies for the long post, and thanks in advance for your advice.
Does anyone know of budget accomodation close to Bole Airport in Addis?
We are arriving in the evening and leaving on another flight early in the morning.
Is it possible to stay over at a lounge in the airport or are their any budget ho(s)tels?
We would perhaps go to the simien mountains for 3 or 4 days.
In that case we have to hire things (a tent ...).
Who did such a trip?
Could you tell us more.
We are couple of two 36 and 34years old and we want to visit the areas of Visiting Danakil Depression and Erta Ale somewhere around December 17th.
We will gladly join other people to hire a jeep. An advise about reliable company to travel with to these regions will be warmly welcomed.
I am planning a trip of 10 days to Ethiopia with my mother in January.
I know 10 days is very short, but we couldn't go longer and we don't have the expectation to see 'everything', you know :) .
In general we like to immerse ourselves in the local life (i.e. we don't need too 'tourist' spots), we like walking, see a bit of nature and a bit of culture.
Do you have some recommendations for us?
Thanks a lot in advance for your help.
We are planning a tour in Ethiopia.
Normaly, we travel on our own with public transport and sometimes a taxi.
Is it possible to use public transport (buses) in Ethiopia?
All information is wellcome.
Many thanks in advance
Hello all I hope VT members can help me. I usual answer forum question on Persian Gulf, but today I;m seeking your help.
Could please tell how much does Somaliland visa cost and where is the Somaliland mission in Addis Ababa?
Ethiopian consulate in Hargeisa Somaliland
Does anyone know how much does it cost for Ethiopian visa in Hargeisa Somaliland?
I look forward to hearing from you soon
My friend and I will be in Ethiopia from 20th October to 6th November and we wish to visit the Omo Valley during that time. We're looking for anybody who'd be interested to join us for the trip and spread the cost. We're still not sure how long we'll want to stay there but we think 4-7 days probably.
I'm planning a 7 days trip starting from Addis through Bahir Dar and Awramba (I think it's spelled correctly) to Gondar and from there to a 1 day trip in the Simien mountains.
Trying to figure out what are the average costs for the sites in each city, prices for hotels, transportation (bus or private) and for the jeep ride in the simien mountains.
If anyone has been to any of these places and can recommend about hotels, tourist guides and estimated prices that would be great, or at least help me find out where can I get this information.
Hi members for forum
My names is Salvatore end I'm writing from Sardinia (Italy)
My girlfriend and I will come to ethiopia as volunteers. We will go to Makelè. For this reason we would receive some general advices (places to visit, rules for living there, etc)
Hi forum members,
I am planning to visit Ethiopia for 10 days on/around mid Jun 2012, solo. I am in-contact with different travel companies. I am interested to go with the offer from Blue sky Ethiopia tour and travel (http://www.blueskyethiopia.com).
My question, did any body have an experience with this travel company found in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia?
what should a young lady wear visiting addis, lalibela, gondar and axum in late march to early April
What are the Hotels in Adwa for tourist to stay?
How do I travel to Adwa after landing in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia?
I will need some assistance about the road conditions and rest areas travelling frist from Addis to Awassa.
The next day we will be heading Arba Minch from Awassa and the same day back to Addis. Would I survive?:) What abou the road conditions and standards of the hotels to sleep in Awassa.
What about to eat any known franchises in one of those cities?
Would be a hassle to ask but any medications or injections to have before heading to Ethiopia(apoligise to ask this)
In major cities such as Arba and Awassa, would the mobiles work?
As you can guess this is a business trip:)
Read more: World Travel Forum