Estes Park Travel Answers

change location
imamtngirl's Profile Photo

Old Fall River Road

by imamtngirl Online Now Jan 2, 2007 at 12:42 AM

We'll be in Estes next summer for the 4th and we'd like to drive up the Old Fall River Road. I'm looking for advice from someone who's been on it. Is it rough enough that we should have 4-wheel drive?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • PR-7's Profile Photo

I've driven it in a standard car

by PR-7 Online Now Jan 2, 2007 at 2:24 PM

and had no real problems. The official NPS guide

www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/old_fall_river_road.htm

does not mention a need for special vehicles.

HOWEVER, this is NOT an all-weather road. Do NOT attempt it if there is ANY chance of wet weather before or during your journey.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • imamtngirl's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Old Fall River Road

by imamtngirl Online Now Jan 2, 2007 at 5:42 PM

Thanks for the link, it's very helpful. I like the history of the road. It must have been quite an adventure to drive on back in the day. I'm really happy that it's just one way now. I'd hate to have to worry about meeting someone coming the other way on a steep switchback. I'm looking forward to being in Estes Park & Rocky Mtn Natl Park again. It's our favorite place in the lower 48.

• Sagespot's Profile Photo

RE: Old Fall River Road

by Sagespot Online Now Jan 6, 2007 at 9:23 AM

I've only taken the road once, in August, in my Mini Cooper and we did fine. The weather was rough, and we had to wait in the park for them to open the pass, but once they did the roads and such seemed fine. Gravel and wet, but not dangerous. You can pretty much rest assured that the park rangers won't let you on until it's safe. Enjoy the drive - I know we did!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines