Estado de Nuevo León Travel Answers

change location

Crossing through Nuevo Laredo

by gringarama Online Now May 29, 2006 at 12:05 PM

Hello,
Can anyone give me an honest perspective on the danger level in Nuevo Laredo for people who are just crossing through and don't stop? We are moving to Monterrey this summer and the easiest and most direct route would be through Nuevo Laredo but it gets such terrible news coverage here in the states. Once in Monterrey, we would like to make an occasional trip back to the U.S. and Nuevo Laredo is obviously the shortest route. We have a friend who lives in Monterrey who was robbed at gunpoint last year while sitting in her car waiting to cross to the U.S. I wonder if this is a common occurrence.
Thanks so much

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • MexTraveler's Profile Photo

RE: Crossing through Nuevo Laredo

by MexTraveler Online Now May 30, 2006 at 2:03 PM

I wouldn't get in the safety issue just because anything bad can happen anywhere in the world and nobody but you can decide on your comfort level.

I can share what I do to avoid Laredo, TX and Nuevo Laredo -becaues of traffic delays-... you could use it to ease your safety concerns.

Take the "new" Colombia bridge via toll road from I-35 south bound about 20 miles before Laredo, you'll see the signs for the toll road. Is longer -distance- but save lots of time. There's nothing or almost nothing in terms of restaurants, gas stations, etc. so you need to plan ahead when taking the detour.Doing the temporary import for your car, insurance, etc. is so much faster and there's no long wait.
    Once you cross the border, you'll get back to the same Laredo-Monterrey road saving hours. Look up a map and you'll get a better idea in terms of distances.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Estado de Nuevo León Travel Answer Locations